napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Relitive strength

There is no flat vs incline. No one is better than the other. The difference is the portion of the muscle group trained. Incline will obviously build the upper chest and carry more into the shoulders. Flat will build overall chest size.

I benched 415 for 3 about a month ago and felt a pop at bottom of 4th rep. Luckily I just irritated my rotator cuff(MRI) phew! I don't usually do that because I'm soon to be 47yrs old. I also weigh 275 though. When I was 32 I benched 255 for 31 @230lbs and 6'2. I always try to push myself in weight or reps. From now on it may just be reps!

On a side note, I had no signs of arthritis in my shoulder. This was my first shoulder injury. I think lifting is beneficial in this regard.

Ya. I cant really loft heavy cause of my back and shoulder. So i tend to try to outsmart my body to grow. I do lift heavy alot but then i pay for it. So i go med heavy lots of reps and time under tension technique

PHURIOUS
Same here... There's even some movements I can't do... So I have to work around...

12-16 reps is my sweet spot

Barbell presses do not agree with my joints so although i did like BP back in my youth, i cant do it anymore for longevity.
At 124 i maxed out at 275 but obviously i damaged some joints from that kind of excess.

Ya. I cant really loft heavy cause of my back and shoulder. So i tend to try to outsmart my body to grow. I do lift heavy alot but then i pay for it. So i go med heavy lots of reps and time under tension technique

PHURIOUS

You would be amazed on how many powerlfiters don't try for PRs until their meets. 80-90% is where a lot of them do most of their work. Powerlifting programing can be complex with only a few weeks a year dedicated to the 90-100% range. A mix of heavy weights and volume is key.

Mix it up man. Do barbell one week and dumbbell the net. Barbell has a place there is no denying that. Im a big dumbbell supporter too. But there is no denying barbell will but some nice thick titties on your chest

Just speaking from my own perspective, my chest didn't really thicken up well until I mostly ditched BB bench and went with DB. Then I started getting the development I'm after. May not be that way for everyone, but that's what worked for me

Yeah, I don't really feel anything on barbell until my triceps take over. Dumbbell presses I feel the contraction all the way through.

Problem is a lot of people find it very tough to really contract the chest at the top of the rep. It is difficult. I've mentioned this before. The anatomy of the lift when it comes to dumbbells allows for a strong contraction on the top of the rep.

Bench press will still stretch the fascia of of your chest and its just a raw power lift. Now your triceps kick in and all that yes but you isolate the lift and learn how to shift it to the right muscle group you are good to go.

Try a drop set or take a plate on each side and try to hit 50 reps. You will feel the weight shift around as muscle groups fatigue.

Problem is a lot of people find it very tough to really contract the chest at the top of the rep. It is difficult. I've mentioned this before. The anatomy of the lift when it comes to dumbbells allows for a strong contraction on the top of the rep.

Bench press will still stretch the fascia of of your chest and its just a raw power lift. Now your triceps kick in and all that yes but you isolate the lift and learn how to shift it to the right muscle group you are good to go.

Try a drop set or take a plate on each side and try to hit 50 reps. You will feel the weight shift around as muscle groups fatigue.

My main issue with bb bench, other than the development, is the fact that it taxes the hell out of my shoulders with any heavy weight. I have to go with a very high rep range to keep that from happening, which is not ideal for my training style. Decline and incline don't present problems for me, but flat does.

My main issue with bb bench, other than the development, is the fact that it taxes the hell out of my shoulders with any heavy weight. I have to go with a very high rep range to keep that from happening, which is not ideal for my training style. Decline and incline don't present problems for me, but flat does.

See now Decline really fucks with my shoulders. I can handle incline fine but decline is tough.

I'm with Tx terror on the shoulder training. I don't do any direct pressing for shoulders and I think it helps with longevity. All the benchpressing and dips are more than enough for front deltoids. I do some accessory exercises for shoulders though.

I'm with Tx terror on the shoulder training. I don't do any direct pressing for shoulders and I think it helps with longevity. All the benchpressing and dips are more than enough for front deltoids. I do some accessory exercises for shoulders though.

I will be getting back into shoulder press and man is it going to hurt.... I already know....

OK I'll get in on this. I weighed 194 2 weeks ago and bb benched 395x4. I am willing to put money on me being able to do 30x195 right now and I'm off cycle and cutting. I'm not talking shit or saying I'm the strongest but Im no slouch either. It will be fun to try. Never did that much weigh at those reps. I do 20 reps often tho. We shall see tomorrow.

OK I'll get in on this. I weighed 194 2 weeks ago and bb benched 395x4. I am willing to put money on me being able to do 30x195 right now and I'm off cycle and cutting. I'm not talking shit or saying I'm the strongest but Im no slouch either. It will be fun to try. Never did that much weigh at those reps. I do 20 reps often tho. We shall see tomorrow.
That's impressive as hell bro. We are very close on bodyweight and lifts....though the most I ever got 395 was twice at 190 lbs. Maxed at 405...so I think you got me by a little even though you got 5 lbs or so on me

That's impressive as hell bro. We are very close on bodyweight and lifts....though the most I ever got 395 was twice at 190 lbs. Maxed at 405...so I think you got me by a little even though you got 5 lbs or so on me

That's awesome Rick. I'm not in any competition or anything and just do it as a challenge to myself. Trying always improve but at a point I don't think me personally could get much stronger without quiting my job and doing this stuff very seriously. Proper diet change also might help. I just don't forsee myself getting past that weight. I have no arm, shoulder, chest pain and want to keep it that way hahaha. My back, neck, and right foot/ankle are trashed so I can't do those type of lifts.

Carefull-unlike days of old bench press has gone out of favor as one of the leading causes of injury. At my age I do not care if I ever do a bench again. Incline dumbs are where its at.New School.

I'm with you.. That's how I jacked my shoulder in the first place, so now I do dumb bells, hammer strength, TRX ect. I just do well with Bench

Top Bottom