napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Got a talking to this weekend by my mother-in-law about how unhealthy I have become

I thought you guys might enjoy this story. Let me begin by saying that my mother-in-law is a very kind, caring lady with only the best intentions. So I'm not throwing her under the bus here. But what I experienced this weekend speaks to a larger issue of how backwards we have become in the US when it comes to health and fitness.

My wife and I drove down and visited her parents this weekend. While there, my mother-in-law sat me down in front of the family and said, "Christian, I'm really worried about you. You're body fat is getting really low and I don't think you're being healthy. You're just way too skinny".

So guys, let me stop right here and mention that my body fat is like 12% right now. I'm 6'-1", 180lbs and I'm eating around 2500 calories a day. I'm not exactly a mountain of muscle yet, but I'm hardly skinny and I'm certainly not starving myself. LOL I should also mention that my wife's family are all overweight. A good percentage of them are morbidly obese in fact. These people think they're having a healthy day if they skip eating at McDonald's.

Anyway, I explained to her that I probably eat more food on a daily basis than she does. I eat only healthy, clean foods and I am, in fact, gaining weight right now in the form of muscle. "But why is your body fat so low? That's just not healthy!", she replied. I did my best to explain that having a fairly low body fat is perfectly fine, especially if you're eating a balanced diet. She just couldn't wrap her brain around the concept.

Anyway, I find it incredibly odd that she doesn't think about talking with the rest of the obese family members about their dietary habits which are KILLING THEM on a daily basis. Instead, she talks to the one guy in the whole family who's actually fit, healthy and happy. Again, she's actually trying to help me here. I honestly believe that. But her perception of "health" is so warped by society that she believe's healthy is unhealthy and vice-versa. What a crazy world.

^Well offer them some SARMS GW, lol.. J/K i dont think they will understand you bro, especailly if you came from losing alot of weight yourself. Thats a tough one,

Bro, I totally understand what you are going through. Years ago I went through the same thing when I first got into really good shape and made getting into single digit bodyfat a priority. I had family, coworkers, and friends telling me that I looked sick and unhealthy. Of course this was all coming from people that were very overweight or obese primarily. I was like "Are you serious? I've never been healthier in my life!"

It's such a backwards concept that people have sometimes, and unfortunately our society has been corrupted and blurred into a false reality that fat is healthy. It comes largely in part that America is the fattest nation there is with a 60% obesity rate. So in fact "normal" is fat if you consider the average American. So when you have someone actually in shape it's easy for them to say these things. A lot of times more than not, I don't believe these people actually be.ieve what they are saying. It's their way to try and degrade someone's success to make them feel better about themselves. I'm not saying this was necessarily your situation with your family, but just in general. Regardless, Just let the haters hate, and keep pushing. Let your actions and results do the talking for you!

Well said! Yea, in my case my mother-in-law seems genuinely concerned. The crazy thing is that two of her three daughters (not my wife) are morbidly obese. One of them now has diabetes as a result and constantly struggles with major, life threatening health issues. She's only in her 40s! Everyone sits around the table and talks about how unfortunate she is because she has all of these problems and how she needs this and that surgery to "fix" these problems. I'm just sitting there like, how in God's name don't you guys see the root cause here? She's eating her way into the grave! But no, somehow nobody seems to understand that. Or perhaps they just don't say it out loud. But what they will say out loud, in front of the whole family, is how unhealthy Christian is. The fitness guy with no diseases, no high blood pressure, taking no prescription medications for ANYTHING, and feeling fantastic 24/7. Yea that guy...he's unhealthy. Intervention!!! LOL

^Well offer them some SARMS GW, lol.. J/K i dont think they will understand you bro, especailly if you came from losing alot of weight yourself. Thats a tough one,

Bwaaahhaaaahhaaa! Actually I did get my wife on SARMs. This is her 2nd week. She's loving it so far!

I don't know about slightly overweight girls being more "healthy" or not, but I do have a genetic predisposition to prefer this body type on girls. I just think it's the hottest thing ever. I have no idea why. And yes, I realize that I'm officially derailing my own thread at this point. LOL

2Pwnd_original.JPG
Oh sweet Jesus, ivy doomkitty

^Sweet ! Im sure she will make tremendous progress. Very nice..

Yea man, she's doing well so far. And she's already loving the increase in energy and feeling of well being. She's doing great on her diet too. Like me, she was raised with very poor dietary habits (obviously...based on what I've already shared in this thread). As I've got fit over the past few years, she's supported me 100%. But she hasn't been ready to make a serious commitment herself. I haven't pressured her either, since she's been dealing with a lot. But she's noticed a big difference in me both emotionally and physically, so now she's starting to become more interested in making changes herself. Of course I'm very supportive of that idea. hehehe

Theres also a subconscious mentality of the old adage "misery loves company" in a lot of these situations. When someone overweight sees someone focusing on self control and self improvement, ive noticed a natural inclination to demean that in some way. Its like the group of girls who just instinctively hate the hottest girl in the room because they are just incapable of being at the same level as her. Thats what separates the society we live in into two simple categories... people who look at that person and hate because they dont feel like they can achieve that, and those who see that person and become more motivated

The perception of what is healthy looking and what is not is changing. With many states in the usa having an average obesity rate of 30% + our values have to change. I have always been big and my family is big.I used to get chastised because my mom said I was not big enough.If I weren't the biggest boy in class then I got fed more. Now as a boy I think I was somewhat overweight but other parents always praised my mom for raising little jake to be "husky". Notice the models are getting fatter and we are getting fatter as a nation. So now the thin people need to eat more. You just have to know who you are, where you want your bodyweight and forget about the white noise. Now that my arms are bigger than most folks thighs it seems no one says anything at all about my weight. A person in great shape should look smallish in dress clothes.

The perception of what is healthy looking and what is not is changing. With many states in the usa having an average obesity rate of 30% + our values have to change. I have always been big and my family is big.I used to get chastised because my mom said I was not big enough.If I weren't the biggest boy in class then I got fed more. Now as a boy I think I was somewhat overweight but other parents always praised my mom for raising little jake to be "husky". Notice the models are getting fatter and we are getting fatter as a nation. So now the thin people need to eat more. You just have to know who you are, where you want your bodyweight and forget about the white noise. Now that my arms are bigger than most folks thighs it seems no one says anything at all about my weight. A person in great shape should look smallish in dress clothes.

^Very well put, especially when you stated "You just have to know who you are, where you want your bodyweight and forget about the white noise"... Is what really matters

I'm a little guy and have been in shape for all my life the most part. My family on my mother's side are all big. I always got flack for being too skinny. I was born with my father's genetics, lean with a high metabolism couple that with living my first 3 months in the hospital on them waiting for me to die due to my size. It was hard for me to keep weight on. We didn't get to eat much up until I was 15 or 16, we were just too poor. After that though, while they were cramming in their 3rd or 4th plate of crap I just ate until I was full, not until I couldn't eat anymore, plus I exercised religiously every evening and ran 10 miles per day. They really had no idea what a healthy lifestyle was all about, hence I myself had no one to learn from.

It wasn't until I got married that I learned about proper nutrition... and cajun food (that shit will make you fat lol.) I've sat back and preached to them about eating less... drinking more water before eating... just walking more with no avail. Some people don't want to change, they fear it or they are too ignorant to accept they need to.

I learned at a very young age to love my family regardless and do what's right for me; even if they don't like it. I am on this earth for a finite amount of time and I promised myself I will work hard, love hard, and enjoy the hell out of. In order to get the most out of it, I need to be healthy... that and I want to live long enough to see three tittied aliens like from Total Recall (totally worth it).

So, Christian and everyone else (my path on life has been very difficult and I'm sure most of you haven't had a walk in the park as well) here is my advise.

Thank them for their concern (you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink), but do what makes you happy and feel better. Perhaps, once you put on some mass they will look differently at you and you may even get some converts (I think you will once they see your discipline paying off towards your end goal). The only person you answer to fully is the man you see in the mirror and your children(we have to be good examples!) If you want a cheese burger, eat that shit! Just remember the price from the bank and in the gym for it. I am proud of you for the distance you've traveled and the obstacles you have overcome.

Now that all my hippie talk is done. CAN SOMEONE THROW SOME TITS UP HERE FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST!

I had a sort of similar experience. I was in college at a friends house we were eating lunch., his mom, her friend, me and my buddy were all at the table. At the end, the moms friend, who was a little chubby but not too major,, asked us if we wanted desert, I was like 190 and like maybe 15% and my friend is one of those really skinny types who is still like 109 soaking wet, I don think he has ever gained a pound.
So the moms friend was eating some of whatever like a cake.., and was like yeah,, go on have some.. I was like nah,, im on a diet.. and the whole table like choked.. YOU ON A DIET??? omg you must be anorexic .. I guess this story made me think of that..
Its totally possible for thinking to become inverted.. I would guess that your health actually challenges the people you are a talking about.. maybe you can do something to encourage better habits if possible..?

In a way it is like she was saying,, hey, we don't like that you are all buff and healthy,, we want you to be more like us.. it is common for people to want "sameness" ive learned lessons like this from life,, unfortunately its kind f int eh misery loves company category.. hope things improve for them

I had a sort of similar experience. I was in college at a friends house we were eating lunch., his mom, her friend, me and my buddy were all at the table. At the end, the moms friend, who was a little chubby but not too major,, asked us if we wanted desert, I was like 190 and like maybe 15% and my friend is one of those really skinny types who is still like 109 soaking wet, I don think he has ever gained a pound.
So the moms friend was eating some of whatever like a cake.., and was like yeah,, go on have some.. I was like nah,, im on a diet.. and the whole table like choked.. YOU ON A DIET??? omg you must be anorexic .. I guess this story made me think of that..
Its totally possible for thinking to become inverted.. I would guess that your health actually challenges the people you are a talking about.. maybe you can do something to encourage better habits if possible..?

In a way it is like she was saying,, hey, we don't like that you are all buff and healthy,, we want you to be more like us.. it is common for people to want "sameness" ive learned lessons like this from life,, unfortunately its kind f int eh misery loves company category.. hope things improve for them

lol...yeah anytime you say you are on a Diet people throw it back in your face. YOU are on a diet?? YES im on a DIET thats what i said..then they ask WHY. because i dont want to be a fat piece of lard like you, or I want to keep my cuts and vascularity, or I want to be healthier. many reasons. Now go home and eat your Totinos Pizza Rolls and stop interrogating me..

I thought you guys might enjoy this story. Let me begin by saying that my mother-in-law is a very kind, caring lady with only the best intentions. So I'm not throwing her under the bus here. But what I experienced this weekend speaks to a larger issue of how backwards we have become in the US when it comes to health and fitness.

My wife and I drove down and visited her parents this weekend. While there, my mother-in-law sat me down in front of the family and said, "Christian, I'm really worried about you. You're body fat is getting really low and I don't think you're being healthy. You're just way too skinny".

So guys, let me stop right here and mention that my body fat is like 12% right now. I'm 6'-1", 180lbs and I'm eating around 2500 calories a day. I'm not exactly a mountain of muscle yet, but I'm hardly skinny and I'm certainly not starving myself. LOL I should also mention that my wife's family are all overweight. A good percentage of them are morbidly obese in fact. These people think they're having a healthy day if they skip eating at McDonald's.

Anyway, I explained to her that I probably eat more food on a daily basis than she does. I eat only healthy, clean foods and I am, in fact, gaining weight right now in the form of muscle. "But why is your body fat so low? That's just not healthy!", she replied. I did my best to explain that having a fairly low body fat is perfectly fine, especially if you're eating a balanced diet. She just couldn't wrap her brain around the concept.

Anyway, I find it incredibly odd that she doesn't think about talking with the rest of the obese family members about their dietary habits which are KILLING THEM on a daily basis. Instead, she talks to the one guy in the whole family who's actually fit, healthy and happy. Again, she's actually trying to help me here. I honestly believe that. But her perception of "health" is so warped by society that she believe's healthy is unhealthy and vice-versa. What a crazy world.

I have had this same discussion so much lately I want to jaw jack the next one who brings it up. I were all excited that for the first time ever in my adult life I bought 30 waisted jeans (normally 34 since jr high and i own some 38's) i got lectured on how skinny that is and blah blah blah, even when I were skinny i wouldnt have fit in this jeans, I never knew I were genetically mutated for super narrow waist, always thought the opposite.

When was it unhealthy to not be a fat fuck? And not to shit on anyone else, but obese people, (ones who are not even trying) fucking disgust me to the point of almost retching, but cant say shit to them about their 2 lap extenders on the airplane, but you sure as shit can tell some guy who is lean or skinny about how fucked they are...

Absolute craziness

I don't know about slightly overweight girls being more "healthy" or not, but I do have a genetic predisposition to prefer this body type on girls. I just think it's the hottest thing ever. I have no idea why. And yes, I realize that I'm officially derailing my own thread at this point. LOL

2Pwnd_original.JPG
You have no idea why? I have an idea why.

wow you totally know my mom,, scary
Theres also a subconscious mentality of the old adage "misery loves company" in a lot of these situations. When someone overweight sees someone focusing on self control and self improvement, ive noticed a natural inclination to demean that in some way. Its like the group of girls who just instinctively hate the hottest girl in the room because they are just incapable of being at the same level as her. Thats what separates the society we live in into two simple categories... people who look at that person and hate because they dont feel like they can achieve that, and those who see that person and become more motivated

You have no idea why? I have an idea why.

LOL Well yes, I can tell you why. I love huge tits and hips, that's why. But that's happening on a DNA level for me. In my head, I have far more admiration for super strong and fit women. And I'm attracted to them for their discipline, determination, etc. But given the choice between a super fit girl and Ivy Doomkitty, I'd take Ivy every day of the week. That's what I really meant to say. It's just a genetic "guy" thing. ;)

Top Bottom