napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Question non-gear related, more on a personal note

44YOGearHead

So those of you familiar with me know my son is off to college playing football and his gf is at school with him. Today is their anniversary to be exact and they've been together basically since the 8th grade, officially the past two years when my wife and I asked her mom to allow her to have a boyfriend officially. Point is they're good together, in love and making moves together. It takes a lot to go off to college out of state with someone to support them emotionally. I commend them both, my son for being mature enough to want to take on the responsibility of caring for another person and be with one person, her for the same and to leave her comfort zone and follow my son all for the sake of love. Being on campus with a hot girlfriend can be challenging, as well as dating the guy that looks like he might become the best thing in years up there for football. They'll be alright I think.
Now here's my dilemma. My wife doesn't care for my sons gf calling, or texting me whenever she likes. I have no problem with it as 1. I see her as my daughter in law, 2. She's gonna have a lot of questions initially about school since she's there courtesy my doing. I handled the entire registration, paid for all her entrance exams, handled all the financials, everything. She even called to ask me about the meal plans I had them on if I thought they needed to change it, or keep it. Basically if it weren't for me, she'd probably be at the local community college and living at home still. She's a sweet girl and so far she's weathered the storm. For all practical purposes as far as I'm concerned she's my daughter in law and is under 44's protective bubble. My wife says all women are fickle and with her being young there might be confusion, but what my wife doesn't quite accept is that to them, we're dinosaurs. There's no way that she looks at me as anything other than my son's dad and someone she knows has her back. I've even told her "As long as you're together, you're one of us" and I emphasized the together part. I think my wife might be feeling either insecure, or like I do so much for her, but won't lift a finger for her side of the family possibly. I'm not sure, but she asked if two of the nephews still in school could come visit during the summer and I said fine, but I wasn't going to be missing out on, or taking them to the gym with me if they came. The boys didn't really wanna come anyways because they're scared of me. I'm basically the only authority figure they know with a pair of balls and they know I don't fuck around with dumb shit they pull.
So I'm of the opinion that the wife can't quite see why I do so much for my son's girl versus her family. I do what I gotta do to ensure my son's success. His girl is smart, hard working when it comes to school and keeps my son on task. I even had the academics counselor put them in the exact same classes together so I know there's no excuse for him not to excel. I think the responsibility of him looking out for her will make him a stronger man and them a better team for later in life. Her calling me to chat about school, or how their day went is irrelevant IMO, if we had to wait on our son to keep us informed we'd miss out on a lot of stuff, thanks to her we know most everything and besides she calls the wife too, just me more. I see no harm in it. It's like having a second daughter IMO. As long as she acts right I tell my son to love her like she deserves to be loved, protect her, prioritize spending quality time together outside of football and to not let her down, but I also told him that if she fucks up he better drop her so hard she thinks the world is spinning 10x faster than it is and has a concussion. As for my wife, why let me do all that I've done for her if you're gonna complain about her calling/texting me? Thoughts???

Last edited:
Your a dinosaur...I got that part...the rest of the thread is irrelevant.....Wife has nothing to worry about..conveying that....different story.
BTW...dont you have food to eat...quit typing so much drivel and get on with the foods

Your a dinosaur...I got that part...the rest of the thread is irrelevant.....Wife has nothing to worry about..conveying that....different story.
BTW...dont you have food to eat...quit typing so much drivel and get on with the foods

Smartass lol... I just ate 2 1/2 cups of rice and 4 eggs w/ yolks. That's 602 calories... I usually skip breakfast. 4398 calories to go. Oh the misery lol...

Smartass.

blank-stare-mike-woodson.gif

I think you already nailed it with the insecurity part.I'd add a little jealousy in their too regarding her family.I feel you bro.My wife is insanely jealous.

I think your wife is insecure, I also think that because of some of your posts etc you are probably somewhat of a flirt and she's afraid of that. I don't think she feels anything would happen. Or maybe she feels that some of the attention you focus on them or her (the son's gf) should now be more focused on her since they are away at school now. Sometimes younger girls also tend to have daddy issues and attach themselves where attention is given. So there's another reason for her concern.

Last edited:
I think your wife is insecure, I also think that because of some of your posts etc you are probably somewhat of a flirt and she's afraid of that. I don't think she feels anything would happen. Or maybe she feels that some of the attention you focus on them or her (the son's gf) should now be more focused on her since they are away at school now. Sometimes younger girls also tend to have daddy issues and attach themselves where attention is given. So there's another reason for her concern.

That makes sense (daddy issues) as I am like a father figure to her in a lot of capacities. She's like a second daughter to me as well.

I have to agree with Miss Bizz bro... There is an insecurity there... trust me... as a man that is so close to his family and cares so much about everyone getting along, i am beyond thrilled that my wife is so close with my mom and was with my dad before he passed away... She called them both all the time etc... to even have a thought or being upset about that is incredibly ridiculous to me... im sure your son loves it... i know i do and did... i especially loved it when she would get my dad to stay on the phone longer than five minutes.... i was the only other person that could do that but my dad would sit and talk to her for like an hour and then my mom next LOL... it was awesome... plus it kept all of them out of my fucking hair for a few minutes... LOLLL J/K but seriously... i think it makes things so much better for your son and for both you and your wife to know everyone is approving and happy with the family and the possibility of adding another to it and its a perfect fit etc... thats what we all want!! so the only issue there is what miss bizz said, there's an insecurity there...

I have to agree with Miss Bizz bro... There is an insecurity there... trust me... as a man that is so close to his family and cares so much about everyone getting along, i am beyond thrilled that my wife is so close with my mom and was with my dad before he passed away... She called them both all the time etc... to even have a thought or being upset about that is incredibly ridiculous to me... im sure your son loves it... i know i do and did... i especially loved it when she would get my dad to stay on the phone longer than five minutes.... i was the only other person that could do that but my dad would sit and talk to her for like an hour and then my mom next LOL... it was awesome... plus it kept all of them out of my fucking hair for a few minutes... LOLLL J/K but seriously... i think it makes things so much better for your son and for both you and your wife to know everyone is approving and happy with the family and the possibility of adding another to it and its a perfect fit etc... thats what we all want!! so the only issue there is what miss bizz said, there's an insecurity there...

I agree and sadly it's just something she's gonna have to get over. My family (her, son and our daughter) are all I give two shits about usually and if my son has found someone he loves and is good to him and loves him the way she's proven so far, she's included under my umbrella of protection. I think my wife looks at it like until they do get married she's a semi-permanent fixture. She might be right, but hey you know how I am about those near and dear. Till she (my son's gf) shows a different face as far as I'm concerned she's the one for my boy. Her going to college with our son has to count for something ya know.

I agree and sadly it's just something she's gonna have to get over. My family (her, son and our daughter) are all I give two shits about usually and if my son has found someone he loves and is good to him and loves him the way she's proven so far, she's included under my umbrella of protection. I think my wife looks at it like until they do get married she's a semi-permanent fixture. She might be right, but hey you know how I am about those near and dear. Till she (my son's gf) shows a different face as far as I'm concerned she's the one for my boy. Her going to college with our son has to count for something ya know.

well said and i absolutely agree all the way

Dude I think you're a great guy, you have a great personality. But its obvious in your posts how bad you dislike her family. You can't force het to choose between you and her family, it puts her in a horrible position. I have dealt with in-laws and I feel your pain but you need to realize that your wife is a very loving woman and be thankful for that and accept her family for what they are. And I say that hoping to not piss you off because I know you're a great guy and ivr dealt with this shit in the past brother.

Dude I think you're a great guy, you have a great personality. But its obvious in your posts how bad you dislike her family. You can't force het to choose between you and her family, it puts her in a horrible position. I have dealt with in-laws and I feel your pain but you need to realize that your wife is a very loving woman and be thankful for that and accept her family for what they are. And I say that hoping to not piss you off because I know you're a great guy and ivr dealt with this shit in the past brother.

I feel ya bro, she's great and unfortunately you don't get to choose your fucking family... Ughhhhh.

Top Bottom