napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

How much rest between sets is best?

Angus_Lei

I hear contradicting opinions everyday, and was wondering if there is a scientific base to the rest times between sets? Some guys tell me to do as short rests as possible, whilst others say that I should take a very particular kind of rest. Can you give me a clarification?

Depends on your purpose. . .since I use lifting for cardio as well, I want my heart rate up, so I take 45-60 seconds break between sets. I've seen people take two-three minutes.

Then there are the clowns that do a weak, bad form set, then sit on the bench or machine, whip out their phones and take five-ten minutes will tapping to their friends about their intense workout while posing in the mirror.

That is a wide question man; depends on your goals. There are some boundaries to follow, plus only u truly know your body.
Even after - it's a good practice to change the rhythm time after time, any way you're doing it . Body and mind gets used to the same stimulations.
Like changing exercises themselves.
If you have some specific goals, you need to tell them in detail + your stats, that way members here can guide you to more specific direction.

There is science but here is 40 years of experience. Rest pause (scarcely taking hands off bar) is good for shake up but I find it to be a limiting workout as I age a bit. I track HR during my training now. Lifting heavy pushes mine to 70-80% of max - 140s. When I stop a set I check. I don't hit it again until it is below around 125, usually between 117 and 125. This equals roughly 70 to 90 seconds maximum. This gives me time to oxygenate the cells and slow my breathing enough so that my breathing on the subsequent set is well timed with the lift. I do however do drop sets on certain lifts at the end. This is, without a training partner (usually) 10 seconds between dropping 20% of the weight per drop for a total of 4 to 5 drop sets. I am gassed at that point but not too bad as the dropping of the weight takes some of the pressure off.

I also find rest time between sets varies based on the body part or lift. Back work requires a little more rest. Chest work too for pressing movements. Legs.. well squats I take longer between but I move fast for hamstrings and squad separation movements. In general for separation movements I can pick up the pace. My goal is to maximize sets such that I am efficient in the gym and do not run out of overall energy during the workout. This means with a 12 minute cardio rev up, I am in and out of the gym in 55 to 70 minutes tops. When I train with a partner and the session lasts more than 90 minutes, I run out of steam. That is likely the 54 years of age talking though I am in remarkable condition for my age. Set counts, body parts being trained, and pace are intertwined for me. My set counts vary but:

Back = 14 to 20
Chest = 12 to 15
Bis = 10 -12
Tris = 12 to 14 (my strongest body part other than legs)
Shoulders 12 to 15 but I split them fronts - Rears/traps over two different days.
Legs 15 to 24.
No calf work ever. Mine are natty awesome.

I used to be a push pull per day guy. Not anymore. I train much more instinctively now. Just because today is biceps day doesn't mean I do biceps if they are still tight from yesterday's back. I might do tris or one of my shoulder routines even though those are not due for another day - as an example.

Depends on your goals. If I'm doing a strength day, my rest is a bit longer, especially on the big compounds. Anywhere from 3-5 minutes on a pressing movement, and perhaps a bit more than 5 minutes on heavy squats and deadlifts.

Accessory work is usually in the 60-90 second range for me, and all movements on a hypertrophy or "pump" day will be anywhere from 45 seconds to 90 seconds.

That depends man. How intense do you want your workout to be? High intensity is very short rest period like 30 seconds. Low intensity can be 45sec-1minute to 90 secs. It all comes down to you and your goal. There's no specific law.

Sent from the swolest element under this atmosphere

Depends on your goals. If I'm doing a strength day, my rest is a bit longer, especially on the big compounds. Anywhere from 3-5 minutes on a pressing movement, and perhaps a bit more than 5 minutes on heavy squats and deadlifts.

Accessory work is usually in the 60-90 second range for me, and all movements on a hypertrophy or "pump" day will be anywhere from 45 seconds to 90 seconds.

I do pretty much exactly this. If i am going for endurance lifts I give myself no more than 10 seconds between supersets or trisets.

As little rest as possible is best for hypertrophy. That's just fact. For strength it's sometimes best to take longer breaks to get an efficient next set.

Ask me about Phurious Pharma!
[email protected]
Use code 'JS5' for 5% off any order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do rest pause sets on my working sets as part of DC so I only rest about 20 seconds before hitting the set again, rest another 20 seconds and then hit it again then I'm done with that bodypart.

That's pretty much how all of them go, though I do rest a couple minutes between warmup sets

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Keep changing it up! Everyones advice on here is dead on, use all of them. Keep changing it up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

there is no best answer to this broski. Sorry. Trial and error and figure it out for yourself to see what works for you.

as everyone else said.. there is not exact answer, no number etc... it goes hand in hand with the goal with which you want to obtain... im always trying to improve my muscular endurance so i have very little rest in between sets etc... you should never take too long regardless but i do 30-45 seconds max and they are all supersets so im just constantly going etc... this builds stamina, muscular endurance and forces you to bust ass so much harder as you feel weaker with each body part because of the constant force you are using... i have always found this to be the best FOR ME... my goals are conducive to this protocol... yours may be different...

The cool thing is, ever since I start GW501516 and Phurious's B12, my rest periods have been getting shorter and shorter ;)

The cool thing is, ever since I start GW501516 and Phurious's B12, my rest periods have been getting shorter and shorter ;)

Anytime I'm running GW my workout sessions are shorter because I tend to spend a. Lot less time between sets and get through The workout at a much quicker pace

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Depends on intensity and goals higher volume lower weight less rest heavy weight higher intensity longer rest period I train with both together for example
Chest day
Incline bench 8 too 10 reps for failure last set spot post failure 3 min rest
Then incline smith machine super set cable flys 12 too 15 rep range stop pre failure 30 seconds too 1 minute rest

Keep changing it up! Everyones advice on here is dead on, use all of them. Keep changing it up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you all guys for so many interesting approaches. I think that it will be for real the best thing to try them all for a while - hope that I will get the best out of each of them. It is so great to get so much information here!

Top Bottom