napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

I need some advice

bluebuddy84

I'm new to this and as I am a recovering addict I have found strength training has really helped me keep myself clean as I feel better about myself and stay occupied. I am a not a big guy but I think I am looking good and I am really enjoying the " new gains". I just have a fear of going to a gym and working out in public being smaller than average. I'm really wanting to move forward and I feel stuck with only having what I have at home which is the most basic equipment. I just need some kind of push to move on to the gym. Any advice?uploadfromtaptalk1444061070612.jpg

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Honestly, in my opinion the last thing you want to do since you are recovering is jam a needle in your ass. Recovery is a slippery slope. I have helped hundreds of people overcome the hurdles that you will have to go over. I recommend being super clean. Not even beer until you are at least 2 years sober (5 would be best). You have a long road yet to travel. Put yourself in a good place mentally, physically, and spiritually. Those user friends, get rid of them that is a sure fire way to relapse. As far as going to the gym... I'm smaller than you. Fuck the other people, I'm there for me, not them. I keep my mouth shut, head down and destroy by body. Congratulations on your sobriety! I'm sure some of the guys here can help you supplement wise so you can "get dem gainz" easier!

Welcome to AR

PS Nice arms

What say you veterans of fitness?

Hey friend, you should not care at all what anybody thinks about you. People in the gym are concerned about themselves, they won't care if you're huge or not. Go in there and work your ass off and over time the gains will come. Don't be afraid to talk with some of the guys in there and ask advice. I've made many good friendships in the gym. There are all sorts of physiques in the gym and you shouldn't feel insecure about going there. We all started as a beginner. Congrats on the sobriety!

Hey your doing it for you not anyone else. I'm 6 '2" and 200 lbs and still feel small but you can't grow without pushing past your comfort zone in life and physically aspects . By the way keep at it brother you've got a great start

hey man, if you want to make the gains youre gonna have to get over the social phobia. trust me I dont like the commercialized gyms either one bit, too many tramps and Alpha Males trying to show off, BUT I am there to make my own personal goals happen - just put in your IPOD and zone out, get your work out done and ignore everyone else. Plus there are some decent people in the gym albeit only a few...

another thing that helps me besides the IPOD is wearing sweat pants and a hoodie. the gyms are usually ice cold so its not as bad as you think, and it really helps me to cover up and stop focusing on the mirror or other people and start focusing on muscles contracting. since you cant see your muscles you have to close your eyes and concentrate as you work out, helps you focus.

I'm new to this and as I am a recovering addict I have found strength training has really helped me keep myself clean as I feel better about myself and stay occupied. I am a not a big guy but I think I am looking good and I am really enjoying the " new gains". I just have a fear of going to a gym and working out in public being smaller than average. I'm really wanting to move forward and I feel stuck with only having what I have at home which is the most basic equipment. I just need some kind of push to move on to the gym. Any advice?View attachment 1615

Don't even worry about concerning yourself with the thoughts of others bro. Just go in and do your work and get it done. From the looks of you, you will already be miles ahead of a vast majority in there anyways brother. Remember, we all start somewhere and we all were beginners once

Welcome to AR. Glad to have you as part of the family. If you need anything, just let me know buddy

I'm new to this and as I am a recovering addict I have found strength training has really helped me keep myself clean as I feel better about myself and stay occupied. I am a not a big guy but I think I am looking good and I am really enjoying the " new gains". I just have a fear of going to a gym and working out in public being smaller than average. I'm really wanting to move forward and I feel stuck with only having what I have at home which is the most basic equipment. I just need some kind of push to move on to the gym. Any advice?View attachment 1615

Congrats on being clean I am a recovering alcoholic 5 years sober. I felt the same way when i first started training now I put in my headphones and my hoddie and work my ass off I don't care who is in there I focus on me as this is a selfish activity. Remember this man you do for you fuk what ppl think that the end of the day you will be the one on top. By the way from your pic you already in the right direction and if they are staring it's for a good reason

I don't know what you were addicted to,or if you have social phobia it was probably alcohol. So the fight is on everday. I think those Planet Fitness places are like 10$/month, and they don't let show offs in. Almost everyone in there is just a regular person.
If you really do not want to go to a gym then just workout at home. I do that now myself.All I have is barbells,curl bar, 4 sets dumbells that use plates, a bench and a squat rack.
Good luck bro.

Top Bottom