napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Training in your Mid-40's

44YOGearHead

As we get older we tend to think we're getting better supposedly. Let me clarify something... that is pure Grade A bullshit to some extent. I'm pretty strong. definitely one of the top 3 guys in my gym I dare to say, probably top 5 non power lifter types in my city in certain lifts. What keeps me pushing isn't some genetic predisposed condition, it's pure tenacity and borderline stupidity trust me. When I was 36 I was full of pure piss and vinegar, when I hit 40 I felt the initial bump in the road. At 41 I stumbled and felt soreness for the first time. At 43 I often had to find something within myself to keep smashing peoples will and spirits. As soon as I turned 46 I woke up the next day and felt as if all these years of lifting hard and heavily without regard for shit jumped on my shoulders, leg locked my throat, bent over me to say hello and commenced to whooping my ass.
So here I am with a set of shoulders that hurt from doing heavy assed side laterals with weight nobody in my gym uses, a recovered torn bicep with lingering shoulder pain and calves that pop in pain if I go too heavy on calf raises. By the way, my neck has been hurt for about 6 weeks and sleep in hardly comfortable without taking a Tylenol 3 and Naproxen and I have to now warm up on the bench press with weight that requires me to look like the biggest, most muscular wuss in the gym. Literally people see me warming up and look like what the fuck is going on here. I'm getting old people. However it is still ill advised to fuck with me in the gym as I can hold my own still. You see sheer will can make you unbeatable for a solid 15 minutes lol and I don't mind murdering myself to slay someone in the gym. I'm The 44 after all and rampant not giving a fuck is my profession. Blame it on the Corps, blame it on my daddy because as he used to say (his words) ' I don't raise no punks, faggots, or sissies '. Yeah, something about growing up where expressing pain was worthy of a fist can shape you into somewhat of a formidable opponent. It's all good as I love being me. It's fun most of the time and when it isn't fun, it's what was expected. The gym is the one thing in my life that stabilizes me, keeps me on my gyroscope spinning in a positive direction.
Someone once said that getting older means you're getting better. I say I've always been 'better', just now I'm at the place where the rubber meets the road and my temperament is often the ace in the hole for me. You might not believe me, but I can make ya famous. Famously regretful you tried me in the Church of Iron. Yeah the sap who said getting older, means you're getting better obviously hasn't been around junkyard dogs like me much. He probably waited till he crafted that saying to think he amounted to jack shit and probably didn't buy it himself. Well, here's the thing... I am sold on the concept of my being a rabid, wild and uncontrollable force of anabolic nature that my spine tingles and my hair stands on end. Fuck old age... why? The 44 said so.

Brother I can totally relate. I turn 51 next month. My shoulders are fucking screaming at me. Its been so bad the last 3 weeks that I actually took a full 7 days away from the gym just to allow some inflammation to reduce. I am still the hardest working old dog in the gym, I know I'm the meanest and Ill take no junk and no one questions it. that makes me an Old Junkyard Dog. I' m looking to rebound with a great fall cycle, recovered and blast my way to better 51 than I was a 49.
Injuries do no heal as quickly or as completely as we age. I've had to learn how to modify in order to stay in the game.

Last edited:
I turned 43 two weeks ago. I feel your pain bro. Recently diagnosed with disc degeration and arthritis too. Despite all of that, I don't make excuses and still aim to be the hardest working mother fucker in that gym day in and day out...giving it all I can.

I just turned 47 a couple of weeks ago. Do I have a body like Adonis? NO! Do I look better than guys in my gym 1/2 my age? Fuck YA!! I take pride in that and it gives me the determination to keep climbing this mountain. I just may have to take a few more Ibuprofen than they do!! LOL

Today I caught someone stealing part of my routine. Kinda funny, definitely a compliment, but it was so odd to see someone trying to mimic me with less weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I caught someone stealing part of my routine. Kinda funny, definitely a compliment, but it was so odd to see someone trying to mimic me with less weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had that happen too bro. It's odd for sure, but nice to see when someone admires your work and wants to mimic it

43, took me a year and a half to recover from, 3 tears in shoulder including labrum! Back now for 2 1/2 months. The feeling of being back is the most important part.. the mind set... when u grow up with it and lose it. You get lost.. finding your way back is the most important part... btw be careful with Ibuprofen not only is it an NSAID. It doesn't allow muscle fiber to rebuild. (Antinflamatory)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Great post 44! As I've posted before, I'm probably the most intense guy in my gym. People are still coming up to me here and there saying "bro your insane!" I may not be the strongest but the intensity is through the roof! Now I'm pretty tired after the gym and take multiple naps on my day off but I love this gym life And know I made the right decision when I got back into the AAS game 2 yrs ago. Already planning my destruction this winter as I dwindle down my current cycle. Got hurt every other week for the last 3 weeks but have I slowed down? Hell no! Pop a motrin maybe a Tylenol #3 or two and keep going. As I'm approaching 51 i Can't wait till the next round! Well said bro!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom