napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Why does weight lifting burn so few calories compared to cardio?

Flanex

It boggles my mind that I can run or bike a few miles & my calories burned are 3-4 times more than when I'm using everything I have,sweating my ass off working my muscles to complete exhaustion.It doesn't seem to add up.

For instance:

Stationary bike, vigorous effort ,max resistance (bicycling, cycling, biking) 45m 661c

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 60m 251c

I'm a hell of a lot more tired after lifting for an hour than doing cardio for a hour.

Anyone else ever wonder this?

the thing you have to remember weight lifting burns calories waaaaay longer than just when you are on the bench. the reason cardio is the way it is cuz your heartrate is elevated making you body work harder at the moment. but weights burn calories for alot longer thats why its good to do and incorporate both.

the thing you have to remember weight lifting burns calories waaaaay longer than just when you are on the bench. the reason cardio is the way it is cuz your heartrate is elevated making you body work harder at the moment. but weights burn calories for alot longer thats why its good to do and incorporate both.

So you're saying that I'm still burning calories from lifting long after my workout?Interesting.I didn't know that.

absolutely cuz your cells are rebuilding torn muscle tissues which has to have and burn energy and calories. you even burn calories sleeping.

absolutely cuz your cells are rebuilding torn muscle tissues which has to have and burn energy and calories. you even burn calories sleeping.

Nice!That's good to know.I can't believe I've been lifting practically my whole life & didn't know this.<facepalm>

To burn calories...."burn"....u have to create movement and heat..the more u move and elevate blood flow and increase movements you are melting the fat..which is what fat burners are designed to do..they heat up your inner body. If you lifted lighter weight with higher reps you'll burn more

Certain organs (heart and lungs) take much more power to use than others especially at high rates, and sustained at that. Have a search around for "low resting energy expenditure" for each organ.

The heart uses something like 30 times more calories per pound than skeletal muscle.

Cardio from running burns fat more not because of calories exactly but because it's causing increased oxygen intake for a prolonged period of time without rest. Once you get moving its mainly momentum that keeps you going. Your body doesn't really work that hard unless you're going at an incline. Try lifting light weight and cutting rest periods down. Weight training burns far more calories than running.

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]

cardio vs lifting is not proven one way or the other. Cardio over time does increase your metabolism and you eventually become a burner.That is runners and bikers are so thin.It is not what they burned that day, but what that day did to their metabolism that days.
Lifting is similar. It builds muscle, and muscle is what burns calories. So t is not what you lifted and burned today, it is what did your tear down and rebuild. Both running and lifting are long slow processes.
You should also realize that the greats of the past avoided cardio at all costs.They did only lifting and dieting.It was thought that their hard earned muscle would be metabolized by the cardio.

Cardio from running burns fat more not because of calories exactly but because it's causing increased oxygen intake for a prolonged period of time without rest. Once you get moving its mainly momentum that keeps you going. Your body doesn't really work that hard unless you're going at an incline. Try lifting light weight and cutting rest periods down. Weight training burns far more calories than running.

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]

Would a minute or less be sufficient?

It doesn't matter if it's cardio or resistance training, caloric expenditure is entirely dependant on intensity and duration...period. you can burn way more with weight training compared to cardio if you are training at high intensity for an hour compared to 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio. It also works vice versa. Obviously the guy texting and chatting taking 10 minutes between sets isn't burning shit in 2 hours compared to the guy doing 15 minutes of HIIT. See where I'm going with this?

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

It doesn't matter if it's cardio or resistance training, caloric expenditure is entirely dependant on intensity and duration...period. you can burn way more with weight training compared to cardio if you are training at high intensity for an hour compared to 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio. It also works vice versa. Obviously the guy texting and chatting taking 10 minutes between sets isn't burning shit in 2 hours compared to the guy doing 15 minutes of HIIT. See where I'm going with this?

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

It's all a matter of keeping the heart rate up.right?

You got me interested and I went searching. Resting energy expenditure of organs.

forumsarm.png

It boggles my mind that I can run or bike a few miles & my calories burned are 3-4 times more than when I'm using everything I have,sweating my ass off working my muscles to complete exhaustion.It doesn't seem to add up.

For instance:

Stationary bike, vigorous effort ,max resistance (bicycling, cycling, biking) 45m661c

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 60m251c

I'm a hell of a lot more tired after lifting for an hour than doing cardio for a hour.

Anyone else ever wonder this?

Because biking and running is continuous not so exerting butn as opposed to weight lifting which is a much harder exertion but short burst of used strength as opposed to continuous motion under stress

PHURIOUS

If u dug a ditch for 2 hours non stop your muscles would be more sore u will have burned more calories for energy and be more tired than if u did curls for two hours w rest between sets

PHURIOUS

Top Bottom