napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Well, why do you?

ibleedoranbla

Let's face it, I think most of us here at AR aren't ifbb pros nor are we gunning to be. Now I'm not speaking for everyone because I'm sure there are those around here that are serious competitors and are trying to go far in the sport of bodybuilding.

With that said, if you're not the latter, than why do you do this? For me it's rather simple; however, it wasn't always as simple. I've always been big, always been the big guy. In fact, that term is still said in regards to me every time I turn around. "Hey big guy" or thanks "big guy" I'd be lying if I said I haven't been annoyed by it a time or two. When I entered high school I was 300 pounds. I joined the football team my freshman year because I was tired of being picked on in middle school. I quickly became one of the guys and made all kinds of friends. This is where the foundation of lifting started for me, at 15 years old. When football was over my senior year, I was 350 pounds and miserable about it. I was tired of being the fat guy that didn't get picked on but instead laughed with everyone else about my fatness. I was tired of not getting any attention from girls. So, I started running with the wrestling team everyday after school. Then I started lifting with them. When I graduated from high school I had lost 50 pounds and was down to 300. I felt way better and my confidence was through the roof. I joined a local gym and I kept busting ass. Fast forward 3 years later and I was 210 pounds at around 10% bf. I was in the best shape that I could have ever possibly imagined. Then I hit 21, my gf off 4 years cheated on me, I stopped lifting, I dropped out of college, I started partying daily and fast forward 2 years later until I was 23 I was 350 pounds again. Boy it was bad. I then got the rare opportunity to move away for awhile and get away from all the negative influences in my life. For 3 years I dedicated my life to diet and training. It wasn't until 25 that I even tried supplements like creatine and bccaas. So, I got in shape again. I got down to 225 and about 12% bf. I looked good and felt great. I then moved back home and fell to bad influences again and started partying once again. I didn't let it go as long as in the past but it went long enough. Until one day my current workout partner, a complete noob to the gym approached me and said he wanted to get in shape and he wanted my help. I eagerly joined him and he picked it up very quickly and we became a great training team. After about 8 months working out with my new partner, I decided to try a prohormone. I decided it would be a good idea to bulk and bulk I did. I got up to 300# with the quickness, this time I actually looked decent at that weight, lol. But my dumb ass self thought it would be ok to drink one night. It was my first week in pct and it was the start of football season. I thought what will it hurt? Well, I'm an alcoholic and it hurt a lot. It opened up a desire in me to want to drink. I started drinking all the time again, stopped lifting, and of course didn't properly recover, which made it all worse. I gained a shit ton of weight, I mean I was already 300# from bulking. This went on from about September-December So, December 2014 my workout partner and I started back at it again. I have no plans whatsoever to get sidetracked this time. I'm going to finally finish what I started over 10 years ago. My reasons for being apart of this lifestyle in the past were all the wrong ones. This is ultimately what allowed me to give in to temptation so easily. Now my motivation is my son. I'm now the proud father of an 18 month old boy and I have come to the realization that I want my son to have a dad he can be proud of, a dad he respects and most of all a dad he looks up to and wants to aspire to be like. I know this is a very long winded rant but I just wanted to share my tribulations and triumphs. These forums help keep me focused, so I appreciate the your time for reading this.

Now, why do you do it?

Simple for me, I have started a lot of things over the course of my life and not followed thru with them, this is different. I look forward to the gym everyday, I can't imagine not going, and I set a goal for myself to go from 40% fat to being on stage doing a local bodybuilding show. And I'll be damned if i'm going to get on stage just to come in last, that's not me.

I got a long ways to go, but im making ground everyday, 2-3 years I'm guessing, goal is to be competing before I turn 40 (34 atm)

Found something I am passionate about, and I'm going to take it as far as my body is willing to go

Re: RE: Re: Well, why do you?

BrentM said:
Simple for me, I have started a lot of things over the course of my life and not followed thru with them, this is different. I look forward to the gym everyday, I can't imagine not going, and I set a goal for myself to go from 40% fat to being on stage doing a local bodybuilding show. And I'll be damned if i'm going to get on stage just to come in last, that's not me.

I got a long ways to go, but im making ground everyday, 2-3 years I'm guessing, goal is to be competing before I turn 40 (34 atm)

Found something I am passionate about, and I'm going to take it as far as my body is willing to go
Nice. I look forward to your progress and watching you win that show. I've been passionate about this lifestyle for a long time but somehow I always find myself getting off track but not this time.

I have the opposite issue - I was always the little, scrawny, pencil armed (let alone neck) geek guy. When I found myself on TRT in my early 40s, my life was renewed - and I discovered the world of AAS, SARMs, Peptides, etc. This is the last harrah, now or never, so now it is. I want to see my abs at least once in my life - and take a picture of it. I am most of the way there - just need to drop the body fat after this last bulk and we shall see.

I was a fat kid until my junior year in high school. I lost 80 pounds on the summer going into senior year, got into sports and begin living normal. I worked out in cycles and never gained too much weight but didn't look the way I wanted either.

At 29, my marriage started coming apart and started working out again. A fiend of mine hooked me up with test and d-dbol after about a year to help and I did my first 10 week cycle. I jumped on a forum and learned more about some things and became active in the community. I became friends with a very good bro who's a member here back then and have been a partner and friend during all sorts of experimenting with training, gear, and nutrition. He's one of my best friends today.

No more cheesiness after this from me ever on this board. LOL

I was a skinny kid all throughout high school, partied all the time did all kinds of crazy shit such as running from cops at parties, getting drunk all the time, doing drugs, etc... I sure do have quite the memories but I wasn't very involved in sports and never cared to pick up a single weight most of high school. I wish I could go back and be more involved in sports like football and I wish I would've got into lifting at a younger age. Then my junior year came around and when I was 16 my grandma bought me a year gym membership and I started lifting. Well I didn't know a whole lot about anything and pretty much all I did in the gym was chest/biceps 7 days a week then one day in the gym I was doing curls with TERRIBLE form and a buddy of mine from school corrected me (he was bigger and knew more) he then showed me around a bit more and I learned some stuff from him and I started getting on a better track. So I started at 140lbs and then I made a goal to hit 160... then it turned to 180 and I kept wanting more and more. Then I decided to do my first natural show with a friend of mine I grew up with. We did bodybuilding and I did my own diet and didn't really know what I was doing but I still made pretty good progress naturally. So I stepped on stage at 6 foot 170lbs, well I got CRUSHED and got dead last. Well after the show I was upset and shook it off and kept moving forward. Then I had a goal to do good in my next show and win so I acquired more knowledge overtime just from learning my body and what I react best to, I never really hired any coaches or anything and always went with my own ideas. Well I did my next show a year after that one and made huge changes, I got 2nd at that one and was about a point off from 1st and stepped on stage at 195lbs. So at that show it was a national qualifier and I ended up deciding to do nationals in the fall, and my god when I went there did reality really kick in to high drive with the sport... I didn't place in nationals but seeing guys at nationals inspired me and motivated the fuck out of me to keep pushing. I did nationals at 19 yrs old and guys were much older then me and I made friends there and they told me to keep doing what I'm doing and success will come. So now I have a goal to win this national qualifier I have in 1 week and win nationals this november so I can achieve my goal to get my pro card and I want to make a good career in the fitness industry... It will sure be tough to win nationals but I believe if you put your mind to something and FOLLOW it and CHASE it and NEVER ever quit you can achieve it. When I was 140lbs I never thought I'd even hit 200 but I still did it nor did I think I'd ever be able to go on stage for that matter but I still did it and continue to make steady improvements so with time things will come along. Look at all of us and our stories/progress... this is AMAZING for all of us to change our lives and make goals to do nothing but make sure we accomplish them. NICE work everyone!!

I also remember my first cycle.. which was 400mg test a wk and 25mg dbol per day. That's when the weight started shooting up then I experimented with tren and mast then that's when my life changed LOL I'm 20 now and am going to be on trt for life, its whats best for me. respect it or don't because of my age but It's what I'm doing for me because I like it and I have crazy goals. I'm crazy for my age and what I do, I know but 99% of kids my age are out binge drinking, doing drugs, etc.. while I'm just over here with my chicken/rice and the gym on the weekend lol

TheSVPdeal said:
I was a fat kid until my junior year in high school. I lost 80 pounds on the summer going into senior year, got into sports and begin living normal. I worked out in cycles and never gained too much weight but didn't look the way I wanted either.

At 29, my marriage started coming apart and started working out again. A fiend of mine hooked me up with test and d-dbol after about a year to help and I did my first 10 week cycle. I jumped on a forum and learned more about some things and became active in the community. I became friends with a very good bro who's a member here back then and have been a partner and friend during all sorts of experimenting with training, gear, and nutrition. He's one of my best friends today.

No more cheesiness after this from me ever on this board. LOL
Haha, man sorry if it came across as cheesy. Sometimes I just think it's important to stop and reflect on things and to remember why you put yourself through all this hard work.

Trenrage said:
I was a skinny kid all throughout high school, partied all the time did all kinds of crazy shit such as running from cops at parties, getting drunk all the time, doing drugs, etc... I sure do have quite the memories but I wasn't very involved in sports and never cared to pick up a single weight most of high school. I wish I could go back and be more involved in sports like football and I wish I would've got into lifting at a younger age. Then my junior year came around and when I was 16 my grandma bought me a year gym membership and I started lifting. Well I didn't know a whole lot about anything and pretty much all I did in the gym was chest/biceps 7 days a week then one day in the gym I was doing curls with TERRIBLE form and a buddy of mine from school corrected me (he was bigger and knew more) he then showed me around a bit more and I learned some stuff from him and I started getting on a better track. So I started at 140lbs and then I made a goal to hit 160... then it turned to 180 and I kept wanting more and more. Then I decided to do my first natural show with a friend of mine I grew up with. We did bodybuilding and I did my own diet and didn't really know what I was doing but I still made pretty good progress naturally. So I stepped on stage at 6 foot 170lbs, well I got CRUSHED and got dead last. Well after the show I was upset and shook it off and kept moving forward. Then I had a goal to do good in my next show and win so I acquired more knowledge overtime just from learning my body and what I react best to, I never really hired any coaches or anything and always went with my own ideas. Well I did my next show a year after that one and made huge changes, I got 2nd at that one and was about a point off from 1st and stepped on stage at 195lbs. So at that show it was a national qualifier and I ended up deciding to do nationals in the fall, and my god when I went there did reality really kick in to high drive with the sport... I didn't place in nationals but seeing guys at nationals inspired me and motivated the fuck out of me to keep pushing. I did nationals at 19 yrs old and guys were much older then me and I made friends there and they told me to keep doing what I'm doing and success will come. So now I have a goal to win this national qualifier I have in 1 week and win nationals this november so I can achieve my goal to get my pro card and I want to make a good career in the fitness industry... It will sure be tough to win nationals but I believe if you put your mind to something and FOLLOW it and CHASE it and NEVER ever quit you can achieve it. When I was 140lbs I never thought I'd even hit 200 but I still did it nor did I think I'd ever be able to go on stage for that matter but I still did it and continue to make steady improvements so with time things will come along. Look at all of us and our stories/progress... this is AMAZING for all of us to change our lives and make goals to do nothing but make sure we accomplish them. NICE work everyone!!

Trenrage said:
I also remember my first cycle.. which was 400mg test a wk and 25mg dbol per day. That's when the weight started shooting up then I experimented with tren and mast then that's when my life changed LOL I'm 20 now and am going to be on trt for life, its whats best for me. respect it or don't because of my age but It's what I'm doing for me because I like it and I have crazy goals. I'm crazy for my age and what I do, I know but 99% of kids my age are out binge drinking, doing drugs, etc.. while I'm just over here with my chicken/rice and the gym on the weekend lol
That's awesome that the guy from your high school stepped in and helped you out. A lot of people would just walk on by and then make fun of you behind your back, kudos to him. That's great you have such strong goals and aspirations at such a young age. I wish I had that much determination at your age. At that age I only did it to look good and get girls, which is why I ultimately failed.

I don't like the fact that you have to be on trt for the rest of your life, you have a long way to go. However, you're an adult and it's your choice and I respect that. Good luck with your upcoming show, I hope you crush it.

cybrsage said:
I have the opposite issue - I was always the little, scrawny, pencil armed (let alone neck) geek guy. When I found myself on TRT in my early 40s, my life was renewed - and I discovered the world of AAS, SARMs, Peptides, etc. This is the last harrah, now or never, so now it is. I want to see my abs at least once in my life - and take a picture of it. I am most of the way there - just need to drop the body fat after this last bulk and we shall see.
I love seeing and hearing the older guy's stories (when I say older, I mean older than me lol) because it gives me hope that I can continue to do this for the rest of my life. Getting older is a scary thought and I sometimes wonder if it's really feasible to continue this lifestyle as I get older.

To the OP
Your post is very humbling.
I do this cause i been an alcoholic all my life. Been clean n sober for 2.5 years. Bodybuilding keeps me on the right track. Plus its fun to grow

I struggled with self esteem and confidence when I was young. I was a very small and skinny kid going into high school. I wanted to join the wrestling team my freshman year, but was actually too small to wrestle under state rules (must be at least 95 lbs, and I was 92). My father was pretty big into lifting, bodybuilding, and had a subscription to muscle and fitness magazine. We had a home gym at our house, so I started lifting with him and quickly gained enough weight to wrestle, but not a lot. I wrestled 103 and 112 lb classes that freshman year, then got to 125 lb class sophomore year, 130-135 junior year, and 140lb class senior year. My last year of wrestling I nearly made state (lost by points in sectionals championship match). I graduated still a very small and skinny kid, but I mad a lot of progress. I continued lifting off and on without getting serious about anything naturally up until around the time I got married at 29. After I got married I fell off the wagon and quit lifting. I didn't do much at all actively and put on some bodyfat as I was older in my 30s and my metabolism wasn't what it used to be. After my daughter was born in '07 I started realizing just how out of shape I was. I was becoming a typical American dad. In April of 2009 I made a commitment to myself to head back to the gym and make a difference and I did exactly that. I made a drastic change in my physique by implementing proper nutrition and training for the first time in my life (still natural) for a couple years and then started a couple PH cycles when I was 35. I then took it up a level and started my first injectable cycle at 36 and that's where the real fun began. I've totally transformed my entire lifestyle and body in about 5-6 years, since I'm now 40 and turn 41 next month. In 2009 I was about 155 lbs and nearly 20% bodyfat. I'm now 190 lbs and 8%, did my first bodybuilding competition 2 years ago, and still trying to improve more every day without this lifestyle affecting the relationship with my wife and kids. They are still my top priority and I still allow cheat meals to have with them, take them out and enjoy events and life, and live life to its fullest. I still make great progress and I'm totally fine with that. I may or may not compete again, if the timing and conditions are right.

ibleedoranbla said:
I love seeing and hearing the older guy's stories (when I say older, I mean older than me lol) because it gives me hope that I can continue to do this for the rest of my life. Getting older is a scary thought and I sometimes wonder if it's really feasible to continue this lifestyle as I get older.

It IS a scary thought, but considering the opposite of getting older is death, it is the least scary of the two options given. :)

And do not worry about offending with "older guys", my body reminds me that I AM older...especially during Kung Fu. I have had to stop taking it and doing stretch training with the instructor (who also happens to be a friend of mine, even though he is younger than my daughter - we play D&D together) to restore the flexibility had when I was younger. I know you can be both flexible and have lots of muscle - the NFL players do it - it just takes time and pain.

Keep working it now and you will never have to stop.

JM750 said:
To the OP
I do this cause i been an alcoholic all my life. Been clean n sober for 2.5 years. Bodybuilding keeps me on the right track. Plus its fun to grow

I hear you on that - it does help. I have been sober for about 8 years now, but had been a high functioning drunk for 25 years before that (started at 13). Alcohol and body building do not work well together, so it makes it easier to not drink when you are seeing your body turn into a beast. :)

JM750 said:
To the OP
Thanks, sir. I try to stay humble as I never forget where I came from. I still have a long way to go but I'm getting better everyday. Congratulations on your sobriety. I'm still fairly young at 29 bit I have battled alcohol abuse for years. I consider myself an alcoholic because I can't drink socially or moderately. 1 drink turns me into an everyday drinker. I'm planning on abstaining from it, it's the only way. I look forward my son as motivation to keep me away. He deserves more than an alcoholic father and so does my fiancee.

RickRock said:
I struggled with self esteem and confidence when I was young. I was a very small and skinny kid going into high school. I wanted to join the wrestling team my freshman year, but was actually too small to wrestle under state rules (must be at least 95 lbs, and I was 92). My father was pretty big into lifting, bodybuilding, and had a subscription to muscle and fitness magazine. We had a home gym at our house, so I started lifting with him and quickly gained enough weight to wrestle, but not a lot. I wrestled 103 and 112 lb classes that freshman year, then got to 125 lb class sophomore year, 130-135 junior year, and 140lb class senior year. My last year of wrestling I nearly made state (lost by points in sectionals championship match). I graduated still a very small and skinny kid, but I mad a lot of progress. I continued lifting off and on without getting serious about anything naturally up until around the time I got married at 29. After I got married I fell off the wagon and quit lifting. I didn't do much at all actively and put on some bodyfat as I was older in my 30s and my metabolism wasn't what it used to be. After my daughter was born in '07 I started realizing just how out of shape I was. I was becoming a typical American dad. In April of 2009 I made a commitment to myself to head back to the gym and make a difference and I did exactly that. I made a drastic change in my physique by implementing proper nutrition and training for the first time in my life (still natural) for a couple years and then started a couple PH cycles when I was 35. I then took it up a level and started my first injectable cycle at 36 and that's where the real fun began. I've totally transformed my entire lifestyle and body in about 5-6 years, since I'm now 40 and turn 41 next month. In 2009 I was about 155 lbs and nearly 20% bodyfat. I'm now 190 lbs and 8%, did my first bodybuilding competition 2 years ago, and still trying to improve more every day without this lifestyle affecting the relationship with my wife and kids. They are still my top priority and I still allow cheat meals to have with them, take them out and enjoy events and life, and live life to its fullest. I still make great progress and I'm totally fine with that. I may or may not compete again, if the timing and conditions are right.
Your story is very inspirational, Rick. Sounds like mine in some ways as does a lot of others. It feels good knowing I'm not the only one that has struggled with consistency through life. With forums like this one though, we can all help keep each other focused, positive and making gains. I like your take on enjoying life and drying time every week with your family. I employ those same values.

This is an easy yet complex question... A true anomaly on all fronts. I can tell you that I eat, sleep and breath this. It IS my life and has been for such a significant amount of time. I played 4 sports in high school throughout and was always the biggest sports junkie. As good as I was at football, basketball was my love, just as my dad. My dad actually had a full ride scholarship at a division 1 football school and decided he wanted to play basketball instead and had to go to D3 just to do what he loved and its funny, although he was an all state tight end, i was the same but as a wide receiver yet I chose the same route... The unfortunate thing for me is that I suffered a sever back injury, actually breaking several vertebraes throughout as well as developing a degenerative disc disease that has left me in pain for the last 15 years... It abruptly ended my college basketball career and then I decided to finally listen to the urging of my mom and go into modeling. I became a high fashion model, even signing a contract in Italy and living there but it was just not me... The life, the partying, the lack of fulfillment was always something I loved on the surface but left me feeling empty and depressed often. I made A LOT of mistakes, learned some terribly difficult lessons and went from being on the top of the world to being reduced to less than nothing... I decided that was it... I was going to do what I loved, regardless of what anyone else said and that's when I really got more involved. I had always been huge into this but never took it serious enough to make it a career and lifestyle. As I became more involved, started to make more of an impact on peoples' lives and saw the growth of the industry in general on top of the severe lack of understanding and guidance, I decided this was it for me... It was all or nothing with this and so I made it my everything... The learning, teaching implementing on myself and clients etc... It became more than a passion and obsession, as it IS ME... This is who I am and all I can be is what I am... I do this for infinite reasons. I do it for my health, longevity and feeling of internal and external satisfaction. I do it for all of you and everyone around the world I can be a voice and guide to. I do it to save lives and help me change theirs. Most of all, I do it because I feel God has spoken to me and has not only blessed me with a second chance but has shown me what I possess, what I am capable of doing with my head on straight and giving me the opportunity to utilize my gifts as that is something I have continuously prayed for. I am determined to rectify my wrongs, continue to guide and teach, save lives and improve my own every day as well and that is what I will continue to do and will never stop doing!

DylanGemelli said:
This is an easy yet complex question... A true anomaly on all fronts. I can tell you that I eat, sleep and breath this. It IS my life and has been for such a significant amount of time. I played 4 sports in high school throughout and was always the biggest sports junkie. As good as I was at football, basketball was my love, just as my dad. My dad actually had a full ride scholarship at a division 1 football school and decided he wanted to play basketball instead and had to go to D3 just to do what he loved and its funny, although he was an all state tight end, i was the same but as a wide receiver yet I chose the same route... The unfortunate thing for me is that I suffered a sever back injury, actually breaking several vertebraes throughout as well as developing a degenerative disc disease that has left me in pain for the last 15 years... It abruptly ended my college basketball career and then I decided to finally listen to the urging of my mom and go into modeling. I became a high fashion model, even signing a contract in Italy and living there but it was just not me... The life, the partying, the lack of fulfillment was always something I loved on the surface but left me feeling empty and depressed often. I made A LOT of mistakes, learned some terribly difficult lessons and went from being on the top of the world to being reduced to less than nothing... I decided that was it... I was going to do what I loved, regardless of what anyone else said and that's when I really got more involved. I had always been huge into this but never took it serious enough to make it a career and lifestyle. As I became more involved, started to make more of an impact on peoples' lives and saw the growth of the industry in general on top of the severe lack of understanding and guidance, I decided this was it for me... It was all or nothing with this and so I made it my everything... The learning, teaching implementing on myself and clients etc... It became more than a passion and obsession, as it IS ME... This is who I am and all I can be is what I am... I do this for infinite reasons. I do it for my health, longevity and feeling of internal and external satisfaction. I do it for all of you and everyone around the world I can be a voice and guide to. I do it to save lives and help me change theirs. Most of all, I do it because I feel God has spoken to me and has not only blessed me with a second chance but has shown me what I possess, what I am capable of doing with my head on straight and giving me the opportunity to utilize my gifts as that is something I have continuously prayed for. I am determined to rectify my wrongs, continue to guide and teach, save lives and improve my own every day as well and that is what I will continue to do and will never stop doing!
Wow, you've had a very rewarding and fulfilling life thus far. Your take on why you do this is very inspiring. I feel the same way, I'm not myself when I'm not on top of my training and diet. The tunes in my life that I have given up, at the end of that very same week I cannot even look myself in the mirror because of the disgust I felt towards myself. I made myself feel like I failure on multiple occasions and really for no reason. I'm over that and I'm going achieve all my goals. Lifting and being able to manipulate my weight from the low 200s all the way up to the 300s through diet is what I'm good at. I've been blessed with a gift and a curse all at the same time. I am the happiest and best me when I'm focused and determined. It's really nice having like minded individuals to talk to about this lifestyle.

Top Bottom