napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

advise on new training program

Sonics

Hi guys

I used to do the basic

monday = chest tuesday = back wednesday = legs thursday = shoulders friday = arms

used to work out one body group per day once a week.

But I have decided to take my training up a notch and want to train my body parts twice a week as this will get better results.

So my new plan is the following

monday - chest, shoulders and triceps
tuesday - back and biceps
wednesday - legs
thursday - chest, shoulders and triceps
friday - back and biceps
saturday - legs
sunday - rest

my question about this new training program is it better to do one group at a time or alternate?

For example Monday, I would start with chest bench press, do 3 sets at 12 reps per set and once I finished bench, I would then do a shoulder exercise after it and then go back to chest and then shoulders until my routine is over.

Is it better to do all chest exercises in one go and once I'm finished my chest, then do all my shoulder exercises?

Or is it better to alternate like I did this week? What's the best way to manage this day?

I usually do around 6 sets per body part at 3 reps of 12 each set.

I can only train once a day after work.

thanks

I’m no pro when it comes to training routines, but I like to alternate. Maybe that’s the wrong way to go about it, but that’s what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys

I used to do the basic

monday = chest tuesday = back wednesday = legs thursday = shoulders friday = arms

used to work out one body group per day once a week.

But I have decided to take my training up a notch and want to train my body parts twice a week as this will get better results.

So my new plan is the following

monday - chest, shoulders and triceps
tuesday - back and biceps
wednesday - legs
thursday - chest, shoulders and triceps
friday - back and biceps
saturday - legs
sunday - rest

my question about this new training program is it better to do one group at a time or alternate?

For example Monday, I would start with chest bench press, do 3 sets at 12 reps per set and once I finished bench, I would then do a shoulder exercise after it and then go back to chest and then shoulders until my routine is over.

Is it better to do all chest exercises in one go and once I'm finished my chest, then do all my shoulder exercises?

Or is it better to alternate like I did this week? What's the best way to manage this day?

I usually do around 6 sets per body part at 3 reps of 12 each set.

I can only train once a day after work.

thanks

This is my current training program pretty much except legs are once a week on Wednesdays with higher volume. One thing I want you to understand, is that if you are doing everything twice per week your volume needs to be considerably lower.

As an example, for myself I do one exercise per bodypart. It might be bench press, then I move to military, then onto dips or skull crushers and done. My workouts are about 45 minutes tops, and that should be plenty of time if you do twice per week. Whatever volume you would do once per week should be split nearly in half if you're doing twice per week. You can't have high frequency and high volume. That's not enough time to recover, repair, and build muscle. You'll just tear shit down and never Build anything.

As for your question, hit the large muscle groups first and the smallest last, so chest until you're done, then shoulders, then triceps. The next day would be back then biceps. On that day I do two exercises for back. One for back width and one for thickness, so maybe lat pulldowns and rows, etc.

Whatever exercises I did each workout will be different the next workout for those body parts , and then two completely different versions of each workout the next week. So each workout is repeated every two weeks. I log everything and try to best the numbers each time.

RR about covered it all and i would agree. The only thing that may need to be noted when doing a Push, Pull, Legs routine is that whatever muscle group is worked last (Ex. Triceps), will likely be fatigued making progression difficult. Like RR, i usually start with larger muscle groups, however if you are trying to bring up shoulders, triceps or biceps, you may want to consider prioritizing them by doing them first. Keep in mind though, the following muscle groups may suffer some. Keeping the overall volume low will help prevent this some, but may still be a factor. You could do a Push A and Push B routine where A is Chest, Shoulders then triceps and B later in the week is Shoulders, Chest then triceps. It all really depends on what you are looking to achieve and what body parts you are looking to bring up. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom