napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Question about Sleep and Food

This morning went through the leg day workout with the squad I usually lift with and a debate started about sleep and food. Now one guy says you have to and I mean absolutely have to eat at a min every 6 hours in order to gain. Which means you should wake up in the middle of the night to eat a meal and then go back to sleep.

Now the question is breaking up your sleep cycle to eat, does it have a that much if any beneficial gain? The stuff I have read says you want a solid sleep schedule along with a calorie intake that suits what you are trying to do. So I don't understand why I would want to break my sleep schedule for food.

Perhaps someone with more experience can drop some knowledge my way. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Eat what u can during the day. If Ur worried about through the night eat something that's slow to digest like lean steak..it'll break down slowly and deliver that protein and nutrients through the night. Ur muscles only grow when Ur sleeping so I wouldn't disrupt the sleep

On the end it's all about calories on calories out digestion rates carb and protein types.

You're muscle requires rest to recover. Sleep is more omportant. You're muscle is not built when you life the weight, it's built when you put it down. It's a balance of both.
as you're friend this. just to call out his bro science. If you eat a 8oz steak, brown rice, 2 scoops of casein with whole milk, what is the rate of digestion for the nutrients involved. If he can't answer, clearly he can't back up his theory.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

On the end it's all about calories on calories out digestion rates carb and protein types.

You're muscle requires rest to recover. Sleep is more omportant. You're muscle is not built when you life the weight, it's built when you put it down. It's a balance of both.
as you're friend this. just to call out his bro science. If you eat a 8oz steak, brown rice, 2 scoops of casein with whole milk, what is the rate of digestion for the nutrients involved. If he can't answer, clearly he can't back up his theory.

Good stuff tx. If I were in a position where I was prepping for the olympia or something... sponsored and paid to lift and grow... id probably get 6 hours of sleep with 3 hours of naps throughout the day

I personally feel longer, deeper sleep is more important than waking up for a meal in the middle of the night. Sure if you get up to pee usually, maybe have a quick shake or whatever ready to go, but sleep is more important in my opinion. If you get your food in during the day you're g2g.

Good stuff tx. If I were in a position where I was prepping for the olympia or something... sponsored and paid to lift and grow... id probably get 6 hours of sleep with 3 hours of naps throughout the day
Ya you would also run a ton of gh too lol

I have woken up to eat before but I think it was once a week, I was doing body opus (Dan Duchaine) I think there was one night a week you woke up and got some creatine or protein or something.. every night sounds crazy, doesn't make sense..maybe for a short period and that would have to be under some really extreme circumstances.. in all it makes more sense in my mind to have to wake up when cutting.. but omg what a pain in the ass

you will have more gains by going heavy and sleeping and eating / getting plenty of protein.. where did this guy come up with this every 6 hours, you are supposed to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours, so actually you should be getting up at least 2x a night based on that.. interrupting the period where your body repairs and does many things makes no sense

Yea I figured he was way wrong. Thanks for confirming it and the additional info. Defiantly has me laughing

Just make sure you get your caloric requirements within a 24 hour period per day, and sleep is not based on total hours of sleep within a 24 hour period, but how many hours of that sleep produce REM which is when the body produces natural GH and actually begins to grow. Alot of people over think and complicate this, but the body is very complex and smarter than you think, the body has the science behind this very close to perfection. Some people require more hours of sleep to reach REM and some require less, all are different

This guy is definitely drinking too much of the bro science Kool aid. Nutrient timing has some validity, but much less than people make it out to be. As said, it all comes down to calories in versus calories out at the end of the day with the proper macro breakdown. Don't overthink things and make everything more complicated than it is. You will find that there is a whole abundance of unnecessary extremism associated with this lifestyle

This guy is definitely drinking too much of the bro science Kool aid. Nutrient timing has some validity, but much less than people make it out to be. As said, it all comes down to calories in versus calories out at the end of the day with the proper macro breakdown. Don't overthink things and make everything more complicated than it is. You will find that there is a whole abundance of unnecessary extremism associated with this lifestyle

^LOL, did someone spike the kool aid again ?

This morning went through the leg day workout with the squad I usually lift with and a debate started about sleep and food. Now one guy says you have to and I mean absolutely have to eat at a min every 6 hours in order to gain. Which means you should wake up in the middle of the night to eat a meal and then go back to sleep.

Now the question is breaking up your sleep cycle to eat, does it have a that much if any beneficial gain? The stuff I have read says you want a solid sleep schedule along with a calorie intake that suits what you are trying to do. So I don't understand why I would want to break my sleep schedule for food.

Perhaps someone with more experience can drop some knowledge my way. Thanks.

It sounds to me like he either sped read,or half read Bodyopus by Dan Duchaine...lol. That is exactly what Dan says to do but it is after a long keto diet and doing a recomp.It says to take in carbs at certain amounts on the clock. Other than that...he must not sleep well....walks the floor looking to pass time. You NEVER interupt your sleep.

BRO Sci should be a kool aid flavor

x3MRRqzeTY-4.png

^ Agreed. Nutrient timing has it's place like for example heavier carbs intra/post workout due to glycogen depletion from workload, etc. That can be beneficial but for things like setting alarms to wake up and eat a meal, trust me, sleep is much more important. The extremities are insane sometimes and I think a lot of it has to do with people wanting to claim they found the "secret" and over-analyzing.

I would never interrupt quality sleep. That is where the growth occurs. You break down muscle in the gym, you grow when you eat and sleep. If you're wanting to stay anabolic through the night, I suggest taking a CASEIN protein about 30 min before you relax and get some sleep. The casein breaks down and digests slower than most foods so you'll pretty much make it through the night supplying aminos to your muscles. Tinker with the right amount for you. If you have a fast metabolism and have more muscle mass, obviously have more. Roughly around 50grams if you're a bigger dude should cover you through the night and keep you away from going catabolic for the whole 6-10 hours of sleep.

Top Bottom