napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Who else here trains a fighting sport; bjj, muay thai, boxing, judo, mma?

There have definitely been mma deaths. Mainly due to weight cutting, but a handful guys have definitely died hours after a fight.

Boxing does have a higher risk of head trauma and the injury count (reported injuries that is) is higher.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah I just checked it out. 4 in mma and 1050 in boxing

Those 4 were only deaths related to trauma from the actual event (the handful I mentioned). In just the past year, 3 guys died during the weight cut process. This number also doesnt include vale tudo deaths(the name before mma was coined). Weight cutting isn't as prevalent in boxing, but they still do have weight cutting deaths. Boxing is obviously going to have a lot more deaths, due to both the time it's been around and the amount of head trauma involved.

I really think comparing the sports is a fruitless endeavor. Lime a couple other dudes said already, they're two different things. One thing is for sure though, anyone who can step in the ring, or the cage, has more balls than most.

Hey guys,

New to the forum, thought i might get involved here. I train Kyokushin, full contact karate. It's a stand up style of fighting, so the whole rolling thing is a bit foreign to me but interesting.

I've been training three years now, I'm yellow belt with stripe.

I started doing some full contact competition comps this year at age 36. My stats at the moment are 5'10", 103kg, 15% body fat. Up until I started my current cycle, I was coming in at about 88-90kg at about same body fat.

Unfortunately once you're over 80kg, it's open weight division so once I had to fight a couple of guys 20kg+ heavier than me, I decided I'd had enough lol. Not to say size always wins but it sure helps.

I'd have to say that my agility and endurance have suffered a little carrying the extra weight but I'm hoping to lean down to about 95 and once I get some cardio underway (and probably add some GW) I should be back to where I was.

I'm 6'4", long legs and ape-length arms. I prefer working off my back. I have alot more leverage and angles to work with, when in guard. I remember when I started, I was real seceptible to leg locks, but I've moved past that. I probably get tapped 10x more than I tap others, but I'm also constantly training with purps and up. I go to a really good school, with a deep talent pool. I think its good to have the competition and to train with people more skilled than yourself. If I'm always tapping people, I'm not learning shit, just rehearsing. Every time I get tapped, I have a new puzzle to figure out.

I'm the same way with getting tapped. Every time it happens, it's a new situation for me to solve. I like to take one new technique every few weeks and work on it from all the different scenarios where I can apply it. For 3 months straight I focused on the half guard lock down ans sweeps/submissions from it. I am now so comfortable in deep half guard that sometimes I go to it just because I want to see how the other person reacts. Maybe they will do something different and I will have a new technique to learn. I moved last week and now I am starting a new school on Sunday here in Buffalo. Very excited to see what I can do.

Hey guys,

New to the forum, thought i might get involved here. I train Kyokushin, full contact karate. It's a stand up style of fighting, so the whole rolling thing is a bit foreign to me but interesting.

I've been training three years now, I'm yellow belt with stripe.

I started doing some full contact competition comps this year at age 36. My stats at the moment are 5'10", 103kg, 15% body fat. Up until I started my current cycle, I was coming in at about 88-90kg at about same body fat.

Unfortunately once you're over 80kg, it's open weight division so once I had to fight a couple of guys 20kg+ heavier than me, I decided I'd had enough lol. Not to say size always wins but it sure helps.

I'd have to say that my agility and endurance have suffered a little carrying the extra weight but I'm hoping to lean down to about 95 and once I get some cardio underway (and probably add some GW) I should be back to where I was.

i just bulked from 170 lbs to 190 lbs and the cardio difference was brutal. I added GW and it's been GREAT.

Been grappling pretty seriously for about the last 8 years or so (with time off here and there from injuries). I'm a 3 stripe purple belt (my "instructor" lives in Mexico now, so I've been stagnant in the belt part for a couple years, but I'm truly much more of a nogi player anyway). I teach at a couple gyms around my area and work with a few fighters out here in the northwest. Back in junior high, I started muay thai & a little BJJ, but ended up gravitating more toward the striking side (that's what's cooler to a 14 year old back in the late 90s, but I wish I would have stuck with the ground fighting).
If anyone is in the southern WA or Portland, OR area, let me know. I'm always looking to expand my friends on the mat. :)

I'm the same way with getting tapped. Every time it happens, it's a new situation for me to solve. I like to take one new technique every few weeks and work on it from all the different scenarios where I can apply it. For 3 months straight I focused on the half guard lock down ans sweeps/submissions from it. I am now so comfortable in deep half guard that sometimes I go to it just because I want to see how the other person reacts. Maybe they will do something different and I will have a new technique to learn. I moved last week and now I am starting a new school on Sunday here in Buffalo. Very excited to see what I can do.
How was the first time at the new school?

Been grappling pretty seriously for about the last 8 years or so (with time off here and there from injuries). I'm a 3 stripe purple belt (my "instructor" lives in Mexico now, so I've been stagnant in the belt part for a couple years, but I'm truly much more of a nogi player anyway). I teach at a couple gyms around my area and work with a few fighters out here in the northwest. Back in junior high, I started muay thai & a little BJJ, but ended up gravitating more toward the striking side (that's what's cooler to a 14 year old back in the late 90s, but I wish I would have stuck with the ground fighting).
If anyone is in the southern WA or Portland, OR area, let me know. I'm always looking to expand my friends on the mat. :)

I have a friend that just moved from Philadelphia to your area. I know he's already competed in a few Muay Thai fights out there. His girlfriend does too.

I have been slowly transitioning to more gi grappling. I added a lot of size for my height and speed is just no longer an option lol.

How was the first time at the new school?

Also, I spent a good 3 hours drilling gi and no gi techniques the other night. Its getting interesting seeing what type of style I have been creating for myself as compared to a few years ago. It feels good when purple belts take my back and not only can't finish but actually speak on it. I didn't know my defense had gotten so good since I've been focusing on other aspects.

I have to get my gloves and shins from back in Philly this weekend coming up then I will jump into some of the stand up classes. I know Mayweather Sr is gonna be there with one of the guys he trains next week in prep for a fight in Canada. I wanna see what its like to spar with professional. Lol my hands are crap.

Also, I spent a good 3 hours drilling gi and no gi techniques the other night. Its getting interesting seeing what type of style I have been creating for myself as compared to a few years ago. It feels good when purple belts take my back and not only can't finish but actually speak on it. I didn't know my defense had gotten so good since I've been focusing on other aspects.

I have to get my gloves and shins from back in Philly this weekend coming up then I will jump into some of the stand up classes. I know Mayweather Sr is gonna be there with one of the guys he trains next week in prep for a fight in Canada. I wanna see what its like to spar with professional. Lol my hands are crap.
It's always great when you find your style! I think the first few months, even a year you focus so much on what's working for others. Once that day comes that you straighten your perception and can focus on what works for you, everything starts to come together. Great to hear that you are growing and developing your own way!

It's always great when you find your style! I think the first few months, even a year you focus so much on what's working for others. Once that day comes that you straighten your perception and can focus on what works for you, everything starts to come together. Great to hear that you are growing and developing your own way!

It feels good to be the only white belt tapping higher belts with an Electric Chair. If the sub attempt fails I just use it to pass or let the leg go, Thai clinch the head and shift it to the side that I have locked down and apply a savage guillotine. The "splitter" guillotine is tough to get on better guys. I'll use that on new guys that come in and try to just smash and muscle.

Top Bottom