napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Who else here trains a fighting sport; bjj, muay thai, boxing, judo, mma?

MarkD

The title says it all. Who out of my fellow AR brothers trains combat sports, whether it be for competition or self defense?

If you compete, let's see your stats, years training, goals, what aas and supplements work best...

I am:
- 5'8"
- 185 lbs (Middleweight under MMA/BJJ weight class guidelines)
- Been training jiu jitsu for almost 2 years, half that time was no gi (hence my white belt still lol), On and off traditional western boxing with/Muay Thai elements; elbows and knees. My kicks are garbage and I never work them. It's hard to train both disciplines and with weights while working full time. So since my return to fighting post injury I am sticking to BJJ as it is my passion.
- I want a black belt and am willing to put in the 10 years to get it. I'd also like a gold medal next competition. Last year I only placed 3rd in my weight class and took home the "Fastest Submission" award (Kimura from MY full guard, he tried to roll out and gave me the dominant position allowing me to finish it in only 30 seconds) As of right now I just started to roll again this week and I am already looking to compete in the late winter events. I usually compete as a welterweight. I am coming up on the tail end of a bulk cycle and havent been training BJJ at all because of my shoulder injury. Rolling is my cardio and conditioning, so without it I put on a lot more weight than anticipated. I went from 171 to 187. I am way too short to compete as a middleweight. I'm actually short for a welterweight too. I have been toying with the idea of getting myself down to 155 but I like how I look when I am a bulkier.
- AAS and supplement wise; I have come to find out that Test/EQ or Test/Anavar are your ideal stacks while training. Competition time you want to throw in Halotestin. The EQ is great for endurance. A low dose cruise like dose of Deca is good as well. The lubrication will help you with joint issues. When you are training with guys who are twice your size and twice as good, you'll need it. The problem with BJJ competition these days is that you are dealing with a lot of guys who are on AAS. It's almost like leveling the playing field in competition. My main reason to use AAS while training is RECOVERY. I want to train as much as I can but being an ex hard drug user, 32 years old and working 13 hours days with your hands limits my recovery time.

This could be a great thread where we could all learn from each other.

I was briefly into BJJ. But I had to drive an hour and a half to get there. I live in a smaaaalllll town. So nothing here. I would definitely like to pick it back up at some point though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to. .. not amymore. I would get my ass choked out way too easy... too much muscle. When I quit bodybuilding I plan to go back too it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Used to. .. not amymore. I would get my ass choked out way too easy... too much muscle. When I quit bodybuilding I plan to go back too it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm about to go get myself choked out by a brown belt and a few blue belts lol.

I'm about to go get myself choked out by a brown belt and a few blue belts lol.

lol...I boxed from age 14 to age 30. Then when MMA came to life the gyms were begging me to coach the boxing aspect. Semmed there were a lot of ju jitsu, jdo and wrestlers that didn't know much about striking. It did give me a chance to see what martial arts were for real and would also work in a street fight. I saw that karate kung fu,aikdo, yubiwaza, savate were not usefull in the street. Jujitsu and its cousin judo,boxing and wrestling are what you need to win mma or street. When I boxed competively could not juice due to needing very good win. Did do a cycle of 100cyp + 25mg winny. Made my punch harder.

Today I am always asked who wins a fight bewtween a boxer and an mma. I answer by asking...who has the best arm..peyton manning or roger clemens? Two different sports.

I would still coach but then kiddies came along.

lol...I boxed from age 14 to age 30. Then when MMA came to life the gyms were begging me to coach the boxing aspect. Semmed there were a lot of ju jitsu, jdo and wrestlers that didn't know much about striking. It did give me a chance to see what martial arts were for real and would also work in a street fight. I saw that karate kung fu,aikdo, yubiwaza, savate were not usefull in the street. Jujitsu and its cousin judo,boxing and wrestling are what you need to win mma or street. When I boxed competively could not juice due to needing very good win. Did do a cycle of 100cyp + 25mg winny. Made my punch harder.

Today I am always asked who wins a fight bewtween a boxer and an mma. I answer by asking...who has the best arm..peyton manning or roger clemens? Two different sports.

I would still coach but then kiddies came along.

I haven't had to use bjj in the street but I did use a textbook left hook to knock some smoker breaking into my work truck completely unconscious.

I haven't had to use bjj in the street but I did use a textbook left hook to knock some smoker breaking into my work truck completely unconscious.

textbook left hook...is that Joe Frazier, Ali, or Marciano style??

I train in BJJ. Currently with Gi, but plan on hitting the nogi classes soon. Me and some buddies ordered some BJJ videos (VHS) from one of the Gracie's in 1994 after the first UFC. We were hooked from the beginning. Unfortunately I had to go overseas, so I gave up on it. This year I finally decided to do it again. I always promised myself that I was going to train and make it a lifestyle and finally said now is the time. My 12-year old son and I are both white belts and training regularly. I'm stronger than most of the guys, so I find myself relying on strength rather than technique, so that is a huge challenge. Lately, I've been forcing myself into bad positions so I have to work more on technique.

^^ that was my exact issue. I was relying on strength and that wears out a hell of a lot faster than technique.

^^ that was my exact issue. I was relying on strength and that wears out a hell of a lot faster than technique.

yup. Technique is so important. Strength is nice as a white belt, but as we advance, it's not as important. There's always a place for strength, but it will usually not beat technique.

yup. Technique is so important. Strength is nice as a white belt, but as we advance, it's not as important. There's always a place for strength, but it will usually not beat technique.

Agreed. 6'2" 185lbs. Getting school by 5'3" 135. Lol. I was training for three months and he was getting his purple in a few months lol. I guess it's not surprising that I was schooled. But I did just brute a tap out of him. So I was happy. Lol

textbook left hook...is that Joe Frazier, Ali, or Marciano style??

It was Frazier all the way. It's funny because I never train stand up and when I did I hardly ever used my left hook. I am a HUGE Tyson fan and always mimic his style, or try to at least. He was compact but dense, same as me. I'm only 5'8 pushing 185-190. I love that step off line, dig in, right to the body, right upper cut.

I train in BJJ. Currently with Gi, but plan on hitting the nogi classes soon. Me and some buddies ordered some BJJ videos (VHS) from one of the Gracie's in 1994 after the first UFC. We were hooked from the beginning. Unfortunately I had to go overseas, so I gave up on it. This year I finally decided to do it again. I always promised myself that I was going to train and make it a lifestyle and finally said now is the time. My 12-year old son and I are both white belts and training regularly. I'm stronger than most of the guys, so I find myself relying on strength rather than technique, so that is a huge challenge. Lately, I've been forcing myself into bad positions so I have to work more on technique.

I bulked up recently because everyone with a blue belt and up is a monster and I had to match them. Now I am stronger than 90% of the people there but still get regularly schooled by 145 pound purple belts.

Wait until you start doing no gi...you better get that cardio and endurance up. I have way more submissions to use in no gi but I rely on smash passes and pressure using the gi to keep on top which sucks for me. No gi wears me the fuck out and keeps me lea. I haven't been to one of the no gi classes or open mats since I came back, I think I am going to tomorrow.

Agreed. 6'2" 185lbs. Getting school by 5'3" 135. Lol. I was training for three months and he was getting his purple in a few months lol. I guess it's not surprising that I was schooled. But I did just brute a tap out of him. So I was happy. Lol

I'm 5-11, 220 and I hate rolling with the 150-175lb guys. So much energy and technique. If I don't get a dominate position, it's a long 5 minutes, lol.

I bulked up recently because everyone with a blue belt and up is a monster and I had to match them. Now I am stronger than 90% of the people there but still get regularly schooled by 145 pound purple belts.

Wait until you start doing no gi...you better get that cardio and endurance up. I have way more submissions to use in no gi but I rely on smash passes and pressure using the gi to keep on top which sucks for me. No gi wears me the fuck out and keeps me lea. I haven't been to one of the no gi classes or open mats since I came back, I think I am going to tomorrow.

I'm going to my first no no class on Monday. I'm 46, but still have decent endurance.....plus I could always stack some EQ and Primo to get a little more endurance if need be, lol......I love smash passes!

I'm going to my first no no class on Monday. I'm 46, but still have decent endurance.....plus I could always stack some EQ and Primo to get a little more endurance if need be, lol......I love smash passes!

I am using EQ right now, so ideal for grappling.

It was Frazier all the way. It's funny because I never train stand up and when I did I hardly ever used my left hook. I am a HUGE Tyson fan and always mimic his style, or try to at least. He was compact but dense, same as me. I'm only 5'8 pushing 185-190. I love that step off line, dig in, right to the body, right upper cut.

Funny shit...too many fist fighters do not even have a left hook.It is hard to master. I see some guys do not even have a good left jab.All they want to do is wing right hooks and overhand and uppercut with right hands. Got to work at that left being every bit as good as the right. Then and only then can they fight. TWO thunderous hands to hit with.

Funny shit...too many fist fighters do not even have a left hook.It is hard to master. I see some guys do not even have a good left jab.All they want to do is wing right hooks and overhand and uppercut with right hands. Got to work at that left being every bit as good as the right. Then and only then can they fight. TWO thunderous hands to hit with.

My younger brother is notorious for getting in dudes heads by throwing vicious jabs. He'll keep his right hand static and after 30 lefts...BOOM, you think you're at a rave.

Personally, I enjoy simple 1,2,1,1,2,1,2 and follow that 2 completely through with a slicing elbow off the momentum of it.

Top Bottom