napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Powerlifting/Strongman Thread

Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for ways to improve faster just like everyone else I guess haha. Do you use hip drive to help you get out of the pause position?

Thanks for sharing, I'm always looking for ways to improve faster just like everyone else I guess haha. Do you use hip drive to help you get out of the pause position?
I obviously do during competition. ..he'll I'll do anything I can when competing. ..but no...not during training

Nutrition for Powerlifters
Let me start out by saying that this is NOT for bodybuilders, this is NOT a plan which considers overall health, cancer prevention, obesity control, or a like…this is a tried and true nutritional plan for dramatic strength increases. You have been warned:
Powerlifters and strength athletes need a specific mix of nutrients at specific times for optimal results. Proper nutrition is the BASE for all strength gains. I don’t cut EVER. I compete in the full and open weight class and as such, cutting is not on my mind. What is on my mind is delivering sufficient, quality nutrients to continue gaining ample strength year after year. There are many individual factors that will contribute to your personal nutrition plan such as age, genetics, goals, and training program. The following is meant to be a guide and should be viewed as a baseline, meant to be modified and tailored to your individual situation. Unlike many powerlifters, I don’t have a broad nutritional strategy. I don’t subscribe to the “see food, eat food’ diet. I believe that your nutritional strategy must be modified daily based on planned training events, rest days, and meet prep. Considering the length of this article, I am not going to address supplements or performance enhancing drugs of any kid. I am going to focus on average caloric intake, protein needs, carb, water intake and fat needs based on bodyweight and training.
I am currently 301lbs at approximately 19-21% body fat, depending on the week. My current caloric intake varies (again…depending on what I am training that day) anywhere between 6200 and 7500 calories. My macronutrient requirements also vary daily but averages are below. I work off a 40% Protein, 30 % Fat, and 30% Carbs ratio. I adjust to 7500 calories and 30% Protein, 30 % Fat, and 40% Carbs on heavy training days, then to 6200 calories and 60% Protein, 20 % Fat, and 20% Carbs on rest days, and to 7200 calories and 30% Protein, 20 % Fat, and 50% Carbs on dynamic lift days. Of the percentage of protein detailed above, 85% comes from food and only 15% from supplementation…this is the same for carbs and fat as well. I consume (depending on the training etc..) between 1.8-2.2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I consume 1.5 gallons of water on a daily basis….every day. While there is much more detail involved, this is a good baseline to start from.

Powerlifters Clean vs Dirty Bulk

The old school powerlifter’s diet strategy was to eat anything that wasn’t nailed down in the hopes of gaining as much weight as possible in an effort to, in turn, lift as much weight as possible. While times have changed and we now know much more about how to increase strength, gain muscle, and lose fat there are still plenty of “old school” lifters and trainers who stand by the dirty bulk concept and in many instances the data is there to support them.
In order for a powerlifter who weighs 300lbs to gain 1 pound of lean muscle he or she must consume approx. 25 calories per pound of bodyweight. So at 300lbs that is 7500 calories per day. This is a tremendous amount of food and eating this volume of “clean food” can be almost impossible. Often, lifters find it difficult to meet this demand and resort to fast food, which is high in calories, protein, and carbs. However, it is also high in fat, sodium, and cholesterol. An 8 oz plain chicken breast is:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 8 oz of boneless (yield after cooking)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 100
Calories 281
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 11.12g
17%
Saturated Fat 3.127g
16%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.37g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.327g
Cholesterol 120mg
40%
Sodium 566mg
24%
Potassium 350mg
Total Carbohydrate 0g
0%
Dietary Fiber 0g
0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 42.55g
A Mcdouble from McDonalds nutritional facts are below:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 5 3/10 oz (151 g)
Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 390
Calories from Fat 171
Total Fat 19g 29%
Saturated Fat 8g 40%
Cholesterol 65mg 22%
Sodium 850mg 35%
Potassium 0mg 0%
Carbohydrates 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 8g
Protein 23g
Vitamin A 6% · Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 20% · Iron 2%
Read more: Calories in McDonald's - McDouble, Sandwiches | Nutrition and Health Facts http://www.caloriecount.com/calories-mcdonalds-mcdouble-i134500#ixzz40Xu6K1tN

As you can see, from 3 oz less of food from the McDouble, you are getting 109 more calories, 8 grams more of fat, 19 grams LESS of protein, 55 grams LESS of cholesterol, 33 grams more carbs, and approx.. 300mg more sodium in a mcdouble than in an 8oz chicken breast. So what does all this mean…Basically you can consume less volume of food and achieve the same result in terms of calories. For a dirty bulk, this is perfect and if caloric intake is your only concern, well then it is a no brainer. It is better tasting food, less volume needed and cheaper. However, there are a few holes and debunked myths in this approach. First, as you can see you will be getting almost 45% less protein from a McDouble than a chicken breast. However, keep in mind you are eating 3oz less volume if you choose the burger over the chicken breast so the argument could be made that that is easily rectified by eating 75% less volume of food rather than 65-67% less. Second, according to the nutritional facts presented you are actually consuming less cholesterol in the burger than you are the chicken breast but there is that extra 8 grams of fat. Third, definitely getting more carbs in the burger so pre-workout this could be an excellent meal choice from that perspective. Finally, the big issue here is the sodium. Excessive sodium causes water retention which can lead to high blood pressure. High sodium levels can also lead to heart disease and kidney disease. Now it is only 300mg. However, to reach 75000 calories (if fast food was 50% of your diet) then you would have to eat a minimum of 9 McDoubles equaling 2884 EXTRA in sodium. If you ate all 9 you would intake over 7650 mg of sodium over 3 times the recommended limit of 2300mg per day. Conversely, at 50% of your caloric intake from chicken breast you would reach 7553. Only 100 or so less with a ton more volume. So what is the better way? Its not that simple

So did legs today

Another great day of training. ..trained legs today

Box squats x 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 555 lbs for 1

Box squats x 4 drop sets from 555 lbs to 425

Squats 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 540 lbs for 1
squats x 4 drop sets from 540 lbs to 425

Sled x 5 sets 10 reps from 540 to 750 for 2

Drop sets sled x 5 sets from 750 to 425

Quad extension x 5 from 200 to 325 for 5

So did legs today

Another great day of training. ..trained legs today

Box squats x 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 555 lbs for 1

Box squats x 4 drop sets from 555 lbs to 425

Squats 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 540 lbs for 1
squats x 4 drop sets from 540 lbs to 425

Sled x 5 sets 10 reps from 540 to 750 for 2

Drop sets sled x 5 sets from 750 to 425

Quad extension x 5 from 200 to 325 for 5

Thats fucking rediculous. Lol. I wish my body wasnt so beat up from 30yrs of sports. Cause i would have tried some of this crazy shit. Lol

PHURIOUS

Thats fucking rediculous. Lol. I wish my body wasnt so beat up from 30yrs of sports. Cause i would have tried some of this crazy shit. Lol

PHURIOUS
Yeah...I usually can't do much for a few days after leg day...that is why it is only once per week sometimes week and a half...I played hockey and football...but I was lucky and didn't have too many major injuries

Yeah...I usually can't do much for a few days after leg day...that is why it is only once per week sometimes week and a half...I played hockey and football...but I was lucky and didn't have too many major injuries

Ya thats pretty impressive bro. I have big strong legs but thats way way out of my league. Lol. My knees are good but my lower back and shoulder are just done from toi many years of baseball and football and soccer

PHURIOUS

Ya thats pretty impressive bro. I have big strong legs but thats way way out of my league. Lol. My knees are good but my lower back and shoulder are just done from toi many years of baseball and football and soccer

PHURIOUS
Thanks man...it Is MANY years of training. ..I also weigh WAY more than you do and I am certainly not as pretty [emoji6] so there are trade offs believe me

Back today

Upper Wide Rows 4 sets from 290lbs to 450lbs for 10 reps

Drop Sets Upper Wide Rows 4 sets from 450lbs to 290lbs until failure

Close Grip Rows 4 sets from 290lbs to 450lbs for 10 reps

Drop Sets Close Grip Rows 4 sets from 450lbs to 290lbs to failure

Lat Pull downs 4 sets from 360lbs to 540lbs for 8 reps

Drop Sets Lat Pull downs 4 sets from 540lbs to 360lbs until failure

Dumbell rows 4 sets 200lbs to 250lbs for 10 reps

Drop Sets 250lbs to 200lbs to failure

6906eefc55d5c8e493aa7ac0637470ef.jpg

Top Bottom