napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Powerlifting/Strongman Thread

Does anyone remember Ultimate Orange? Man...I LOVED THAT STUFF....I was in the Marine Corps while it was out. I remember doing PT at 5 am. ..going to work, going to the gym at lunch to do cardio and back to the gym after work. ..I was an animal. ..and it was all due to Ultimate Orange...RIP Ultimate Orange.. you sexy bastard!

I doubted them for a long time...started using them little by little last year...now they are indispensable to my training

Vinni.. for you

Today was triceps
Cable press downs vbar x 4 sets 200lbs to 290lbs for 4 reps

Cable press downs vbar x 4 drop sets from 290lbs to 200lbs down to 15 reps

Cable reverse pull downs straight bar x 4 200lbs to 290lbs

Cable reverse pull downs drop sets straight bar x 4 290lbs to 200lbs for 15

Single Arm cable press downs x 4 110 lbs up to 170 lbs for 4

Overhead single dumbbell presses x 110 lbs to 200lbs for 8

Close hand bench x 4 315lbs to 510lbs for 8

Another great day of training. ..trained legs today

Box squats x 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 555 lbs for 1

Box squats x 4 drop sets from 555 lbs to 425

Squats 4 sets 10 reps to failure up to 540 lbs for 1
squats x 4 drop sets from 540 lbs to 425

Sled x 5 sets 10 reps from 540 to 750 for 2

Drop sets sled x 5 sets from 750 to 425

Quad extension x 5 from 200 to 325 for 5

Vinni.. for you

Today was triceps

Damn Son, your a beast !!

Ok...so it was deadlifts and triceps today

Deadlifts x 4 sets from 550 x 10 reps to 735 x 3

Deadlift Drop Sets (non stop) from 725 to 550

Sumo pulls x 4 from 550 x 8 reps to 700 x 4

Ya, I can't believe his volume. I'd have to stop for a midsnack and 20min nap mid workout lol.
Lol...not too far from the truth. ..I eat a protein bar halfway through, 2 NO speed stacks during and gw and preworkout before hand...lol...never said I was concerned with life longevity lol

Tatman’s Bench Press Secrets

Ok ladies and gents…I get asked at least 3 times, every chest day, how I was able to reach a 585 (have had numerous lifts above this but not what I would call competition lifts) raw bench. Now really, this isn’t that much considering you have guys benching in excess of 700lbs like Scot Mendelson. Now…I spent MANY years training the old school way…doing rep after rep of heavy benches with little to no results. About 4 years ago I got real serious about increasing my numbers and left the comfort of the dungeon and the bro science to seek out effective techniques to significantly increase my press numbers. The following is what I discovered and still use to this day

Half Reps/Partial Range
IMHO the biggest obstacle, besides actually pressing the 585 pounds, is getting the weight moving the from the pause position. Half reps allow you to target your resistance to this specific range of motion and blast past the sticking point. Furthermore, half reps will place the weight on your weakest area and connective tissue resulting in a direct, positive effect on this weak point. Half reps keep tension on the specific chest muscles utilized in this range and because you are not completing a full repetition, you are able to train with heavier weight. For example, I typically train half reps on the flat bench between 585 and 615. I complete repetitions to failure in each set. Half reps should not interfere with your current, full range bench press routine, rather they should compliment it. They should be performed after your initial sets of flat benches and before other auxiliary training for the chest. They can be used in the incline position as well to increase shoulder strength. This technique has allowed me to increase my bench press over 150lbs in less than 2 years.

Drop Sets
Again, I have found drop sets to be a crucial technique in increasing my bench press numbers. “A drop set, also known as a strip set or “running the rack,” is a clever technique that allows the lifter to continue an exercise set past fatigue by using lower weight, less reps, or a similar exercise”. (Stephen Bergeron, CSCS). There are literally TONS of different variations of drop sets. I have tried many but utilize 1 with great success. I use conventional drop sets (starting with an exercise set and stripping or dropping the weight and continuing to “rep out” on the exercise.) on the flat bench and utilize 2 spotters to strip the weight at the pause position in my bench press. I will general start with my 1 rep max and drop 90lbs per rep until I reach 45% of my max…if I still have juice I will rep that out until failure. I will then re-load the bar and do it again for 4-5 sets or until failure. I do drop sets on dynamic effort training days.

While there are MANY other factors that have contributed to my success on this lift, these 2 techniques have outshined them all and are staples in my training.

Top Bottom