napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Diet and Nutrition basics 101

Recomping is the single hardest thing to do correctly in all of bodybuilding, and there is no cut and dry answer for this. It's all about experimentation and finding out works out for you as an individual. Everyone is different. A good way to start is run about maintenance level calories or just slightly above that (no more than 200-300 calories over) and then make your caloric expenditure per day exceed that level of intake to give yourself a slight overall deficit. The easiest way of doing that is to add a good 30-45 minutes of cardio per day

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Rick you have provided a suggested macro breakdown for a bulk and a cut - do you have one you prefer for a recomp?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maintenance calories: 200x15= 3000 maintenance calories
Total calories needed: 3000-500 per day= 2500 calories
2500x60%= 1500 calories from protein (375 grams)
2500x30%= 750 calories from carbs (188 grams)
2500x20%= 500 calories from fat (56 grams)

Shouldn't the percentages total 100%? The percentages mentioned above total 110%...

Hi all,
Excellent article thank you very much 
I am looking for some advice on what my macros should be for a fat loss diet. I am normally in the gym 5 times a week and do weights with very minimal rest periods. I try to keep the workout to a maximum of 90mins. Would you advise I need some cardio or HITT?

My stats:
Height = 172cm (5ft 7”)
BF%=20%
Weight = 82kg 180 lbs

Would the 60/30/20 ratio be appropriate?

How can one calculate their own ratios say for fat loss or bulk i.e. Are the ratios mentioned the article standard or there are some rules/equations to work out what is the starting point for grams of protein, carbs and fats to achieve the desired goal?

Thanks
JD

Last edited:
Hi all,
Excellent article thank you very much 
I am looking for some advice on what my macros should be for a fat loss diet. I am normally in the gym 5 times a week and do weights with very minimal rest periods. I try to keep the workout to a maximum of 90mins. Would you advise I need some cardio or HITT?

My stats:
Height = 172cm (5ft 7”)
BF%=20%
Weight = 82kg 180 lbs

Would the 60/30/20 ratio be appropriate?

How can one calculate their own ratios say for fat loss or bulk i.e. Are the ratios mentioned the article standard or there are some rules/equations to work out what is the starting point for grams of protein, carbs and fats to achieve the desired goal?

Thanks
JD

I'm glad you enjoy the thread. Ratios will not make you lose weight; overall caloric intake will dictate weight loss or weight gain. That being said, I like to set protein at 1.5 grams per lb of bw, make sure fats are 0.4 grams per lb of body weight, and fill in the rest of the calories with carbs. Make sure you're in about a 10% deficit to start. So, how many calories do you need? No one can truly answer that for you. You need to figure this out on your own. So start with those numbers and make adjustments as needed :). It's a process, but one that will benefit you for the rest of your life once you figure out the basics.

I'm glad you enjoy the thread. Ratios will not make you lose weight; overall caloric intake will dictate weight loss or weight gain. That being said, I like to set protein at 1.5 grams per lb of bw, make sure fats are 0.4 grams per lb of body weight, and fill in the rest of the calories with carbs. Make sure you're in about a 10% deficit to start. So, how many calories do you need? No one can truly answer that for you. You need to figure this out on your own. So start with those numbers and make adjustments as needed :). It's a process, but one that will benefit you for the rest of your life once you figure out the basics.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My current body weight is 180 lbs so

Protein: 1.5 x 180 = 270g (270 x 4 = 1080 calories)

Fats: 0.4x 180 = 72g (72 x 9 = 648 calories)

My maintenance is 2800 calories so should I start with 10% deficit i.e. 2800 – 280 = 2520 calories

Thus making carbs intake 2520-1728 = 792 calories?

Thanks

Great advice right here. Agreed

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My current body weight is 180 lbs so

Protein: 1.5 x 180 = 270g (270 x 4 = 1080 calories)

Fats: 0.4x 180 = 72g (72 x 9 = 648 calories)

My maintenance is 2800 calories so should I start with 10% deficit i.e. 2800 – 280 = 2520 calories

Thus making carbs intake 2520-1728 = 792 calories?

Thanks
Yes, that sounds about right to start. You can always adjust as needed from there

On the flip side what should I aim for on a bulk?

Sent from Tapatalk
I would go the same but in reverse. 10% over maintenance to start. Id go 0.5g per pound onfats, Fill in the extra calories divided between protein and carbs from the surplus

I would go the same but in reverse. 10% over maintenance to start. Id go 0.5g per pound onfats, Fill in the extra calories divided between protein and carbs from the surplus

That also depends on body type. Mesomorphs can eat 10% over and gain crazy while and ecto needs much more then that. Like 25%.

PHURIOUS

Top Bottom