napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Training plan - Please criticise

Stussy

Hi guys,

I’d love some input/criticism of my plan for the next few months

I’ll be running Primo at 600mg alongside my TRT protocol.

Diet will be completely clean - Calories will be slightly over maintenance and I will be carb cycling

I have a home gym so no cables/machines possible - Working out 4 days per week

Push A
Flat Bench Press 3 x 6-8
Shoulder Press 3 x 6-8
Squats 3 x 6-8
Tricep Dips 4 x 10-12

Pull A
Deadlifts 4 x 6-8
Chin Ups 3 x 6-8
Wide Grip Pull Ups 3 x 6-8
EZ Bar Biceps 3 x 6-8

Push B
Incline Press 3 x 6-8
Chest Dips 3 x 10-12
Flys 3 x 10-12
Split Squats 3 x 6-8

Pull B
Deadlifts 4 x 6-8
Hammer Curl 3 x 6-8
Bent over row 3 x 6-8
Seated incline curls 3 x 10-12

I’m not a model, bodybuilder or strength athlete - Training purely for vanity :)

Keen to get some input on this routine and if I am making an major errors. My one concern is my legs are too thin compared to the rest on my body and perhaps i’m not giving them enough focus

Current Stats

33 yo*

5’10

79KG at 13% BF

I'm not a big fan of dips anylonger, are too hard on shoulders. There are less problematic tricep training moves.

Planet Fitness is only $10/ month. Train right if you are going to pin would be my advice
So what exactly do you see wrong with the schedule that I've laid out - its not exactly helpful to say "train right" and offer no input

I don't see what a planet fitness membership offer that I cannot Get with my home gym. I'm not talking a few dumbbells..... I have a full rack, various benches bars plates etc - I just don't have any cables..... you think free weight training is NOT training right ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I like your exercise selection as it consist of all the key compound lifts. However, if you are training for vanity, which i am too, i would suggest a different split with a bit more volume. Legs will definitely need more volume and will likely need their own day to provide them the punishment they deserve. To bring out proportions, all 3 heads of the shoulder should be hit. This can be done at home with either DB's or plates. Deadlifts should be done once per week IMO, especially if you aren't training to be a strength athlete.

IMO 4 days per week is more than adequate and will allow for a variety of splits. Are your workout days set to specific days of the week or are they flexible?

I don't see any calf or hamstring movements. You need more for direct shoulder work on your second push day too other than incline bench

Overall I don't see a problem with training low volume doing push pull hitting everything twice per week. I've done similar with great success.

Forget planet fitness, you wouldn't be able to deadlift or even squat there. If you have a full rack, then you have enough IMO. I have seen people get big off of less.

In Regards to building your legs with the current plan you complete 14 sets for the week and that's counting deadlifts as leg work. In my opinion I think you need more direct work for legs. I think you need to add more direct work for your hamstrings as well. I would add either the leg press, front squats, leg extensions to push days at 4 sets of 8-12 reps. And add either prone leg curl or stiff leg deadlifts to pull days.

I like your exercise selection as it consist of all the key compound lifts. However, if you are training for vanity, which i am too, i would suggest a different split with a bit more volume. Legs will definitely need more volume and will likely need their own day to provide them the punishment they deserve. To bring out proportions, all 3 heads of the shoulder should be hit. This can be done at home with either DB's or plates. Deadlifts should be done once per week IMO, especially if you aren't training to be a strength athlete.

IMO 4 days per week is more than adequate and will allow for a variety of splits. Are your workout days set to specific days of the week or are they flexible?
I work from home a lot so totally flexible - would you do a split mkre like push pull legs?

I don't see any calf or hamstring movements. You need more for direct shoulder work on your second push day too other than incline bench

Overall I don't see a problem with training low volume doing push pull hitting everything twice per week. I've done similar with great success.
Ok il take that on board - to be honest..... My shoulders and the one area geneticlly where I'm blessed - in actual fact I have historically only worked them indirecty - when was on holiday in the summer some mates were asking how I got them looking so full - they couldn't / didn't believe that I basically never really trained then directly.

Here's my two cents and I have no idea how long you've been training, based on what you wrote up seems not too long, but here I go... small modifications here and there

Push A
Flat Bench Press 5 x 8-10
Shoulder Press 5 x 6-8
Squats 4 x 6-8 and 4 x 8-10 w/ lighter weight
*Standing calf Raises 100 each day body weight or w/DB's
Tricep Dips 4 x 10-12 (bench, or Dip Station? If bench add weight across thighs)
*Shock set*
Close Grip bench Press 4 x 8-10

Pull A
Deadlifts 3 x 6-8 and 3 x 4-6
Bent Over DB Rows 5 x 8-10
Wide Grip Pull Ups 5 x 8-10
EZ Bar Biceps 4 x 8-10 *focusing on the contraction and negative
Hammer Curls 4 x 6-8 HEAVY

Push B
Incline Press 5 x 8-10
Chest Dips 4 x 10-12
Flyes 4 x 8-10
Split Squats 6 x 6-8
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 6 x 8-10

Pull B
Deadlifts 5 x 6-8
Hammer Curl 6 x 6-8
Bent over row 5 x 6-8
Seated incline curls 6 x 10-12
Wide grip Pull Ups 5 x 8-10

You could do a Push Pull Legs routine done on a 5-6 day rotation. IMO, PPL done 2x week is brutal and i always run into recovery issues and my lifts start to suffer. In the past, i have done:

Push
Pull
Rest
Legs
Rest
Repeat

Another option would be to do what 44 suggested, leave the split as is, adding in volume/sets and specific exercises where needed. If you can recover from DL 2x per week, then go for it. I can not, 3 sets of heavy deadlifts taxes me as is, but as i said, i don't recover well and have to keep that in mind.

As mentioned, your exercise selection is great IMO as it consist of all the lifts that will provide the best ROI. If your shoulders respond well, then no sense in adding in more direct work to them, instead add in exercises/sets to areas that need it.

Last edited:
I find that we tend to see ourselves like we're brand new Lambo's versus the 2016 Chrysler 300C we are, so whenever someone says they have great this or that unless it's a pair of tits I'm skeptical.

Legs should most definitely get it’s own day on the push/pull/leg split. Barbell Squats and Stiff legs etc. If you don’t have a barbell set for your home gym, you could easily get one. But you should finish the split, and not just do Push/pull. Shame to waste a cycle and not incorporate a full leg workout in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

I’d love some input/criticism of my plan for the next few months

I’ll be running Primo at 600mg alongside my TRT protocol.

Diet will be completely clean - Calories will be slightly over maintenance and I will be carb cycling

I have a home gym so no cables/machines possible - Working out 4 days per week

Push A
Flat Bench Press 3 x 6-8
Shoulder Press 3 x 6-8
Squats 3 x 6-8
Tricep Dips 4 x 10-12

Pull A
Deadlifts 4 x 6-8
Chin Ups 3 x 6-8
Wide Grip Pull Ups 3 x 6-8
EZ Bar Biceps 3 x 6-8

Push B
Incline Press 3 x 6-8
Chest Dips 3 x 10-12
Flys 3 x 10-12
Split Squats 3 x 6-8

Pull B
Deadlifts 4 x 6-8
Hammer Curl 3 x 6-8
Bent over row 3 x 6-8
Seated incline curls 3 x 10-12

I’m not a model, bodybuilder or strength athlete - Training purely for vanity :)

Keen to get some input on this routine and if I am making an major errors. My one concern is my legs are too thin compared to the rest on my body and perhaps i’m not giving them enough focus

Current Stats

33 yo*

5’10

79KG at 13% BF

I think your bench, deadlift and shoulder press reps are too low if you're training for vanity. I also think lifting those rep ranges multiple times per week on those primaries will build a lot of fatigue. Granted you will be on cycle so recovery will be greater. But I think you'd get more out of lighter rep ranges in those movements. A proper 6 rep deadlift set is heavy. Honestly.... for vanity... I would say maybe DL once a week, and bench, take it or leave it. Both are problematic movements on joints for some (not all) people. Bench seems to be more universally an issue than DL, in my completely anecdotal experience. Just for purposes of growing, you don't need either. Substitute pullovers, flyes and tricep accessory for one or both bench days. Subtitute back accessory for one or both DL days. So many heavy primaries a week will eventually bury you. Unless you half ass the RPE. My 2 cents.

I highly recommend adding cables and other machines into your routine. I looked bulky after 2 years of training in the basement. Went to a gym and put on 10 lbs in 6 months and ripped out more than ever. I do not recommend PF at all but if its a money issue I'd take PF over my basement any time, even if I only trained a few body parts there a week. Not looking to smash at your basement setup. I put 15,000 into mine and it looks amazing. It was missing the atmosphere and variety. I went to the gym with a bad elboy, knee and shoulder tear and in 6 months all 3 were healed up. I'm a body builder turned power lifter turned weight lifter. I prefer free weights to anything. JMO.

Top Bottom