napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Macronutrient Needs

Testdude63

An often overlooked aspect of reaching one's goals in fitness is diet. More specifically, macronutrient needs, and how to go about calculating them. This is a formula I have used, and I cannot take credit for typing it. I am simply copying and pasting. But I've found this to be most accurate:

3/Katch-McArdle:Considered the most accurate for those who are relatively lean. Use if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %.
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

Again - these are BMR calculations. To convert to a TOTAL requirement you need to multiply the result by an 'activity variable'.
This Activity Factor is the TOTAL cost of living, NOT JUST TRAINING. If you train 1 hr a day - CONSIDER WHAT YOU DO THE OTHER 23 HRS! It includes work, life activities, training/sport & the TEF of ~15% (an average mixed diet).
Average activity variables are:
1.2 = Sedentary (Desk job, and Little Formal Exercise)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light daily activity AND light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately daily Activity & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Athlete in ENDURANCE training or VERY HARD physical job)

How Accurate are they?: Rough ball-park figures. Still 'guesstimations'. So use these as 'rough figures', monitor your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks. IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, you have likely found maintenance.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
You then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals (eg: lose or gain mass). For this - DO NOT use a 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day) to add / remove. Instead calculate a % of your maintenance. Why? The effect of different calorie amounts is going to be different based on someones size/ total calorie intake. For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of the total cals, where 500 cals/ day from 3000 total intake is only 1/6th of the total. The results will therefore be markedly different on an individuals energy level & weight loss. Generally:
- To ADD weight: ADD 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
- To LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% of the TEE to your TEE calories
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

Now, I will add to the above in saying this is the method I used being natural for many many years. Since AAS increases nutrient partitioning, protein synthesis and nitrogen retention, wouldn't it make sense to add a certain percentage to the calculated allotment of calories? Sure one could simply increase protein needs for the protein synthesis and increased nitrogen uptake, but what about the overall increase from thermogenisis and MET rate? It's an interesting topic, so let's discuss!!

Also, if you guys have a different method, feel free to share it :).

This is quite a bit different approach than I use myself, but another valuable tool for figuring caloric needs nonetheless. Thanks for sharing

I've never found a calculation that's actually accurate personally. Certainly a good starting point but it's important to take advantage of what macros truly are. A customizable form of dieting tailored to the user. I love macro style diets bro. Shits great. Great post.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

This is quite a bit different approach than I use myself, but another valuable tool for figuring caloric needs nonetheless. Thanks for sharing
Everyone has different methods, which is great. Glad I could contribute!

I've never found a calculation that's actually accurate personally. Certainly a good starting point but it's important to take advantage of what macros truly are. A customizable form of dieting tailored to the user. I love macro style diets bro. Shits great. Great post.

Yeah, I usually have to make adjustments based on the starting point, but it's actually pretty damn close in terms of finding a solid place from which to start. It's an eye opener for many people to see how much (or how little) they can get away with eating.

i just eat pizza every meal and peanut butter before i sleep.. lol joking

but seriously this is a good formula thanks for posting, a lot of people need to see this.
i did my calculations and it brought me around 3400 cals which is what i am currently eating so it seems pretty accurate.

i just eat pizza every meal and peanut butter before i sleep.. lol joking

but seriously this is a good formula thanks for posting, a lot of people need to see this.
i did my calculations and it brought me around 3400 cals which is what i am currently eating so it seems pretty accurate.

The diet of champions!

Yeah, it serves as a relatively good starting point from which to break down your macros. I've increased my protein intake since being on, but I feel the amount believed to be required by some is a bit overboard.

I set my protein at 260 (I weigh 195), fats at around 75, and divide the remaining calories by 4 to determine how many grams of carbs I'll eat. Easy peasy!

The diet of champions!

Yeah, it serves as a relatively good starting point from which to break down your macros. I've increased my protein intake since being on, but I feel the amount believed to be required by some is a bit overboard.

I set my protein at 260 (I weigh 195), fats at around 75, and divide the remaining calories by 4 to determine how many grams of carbs I'll eat. Easy peasy!

getting that high protein, have you got the meat sweats yet? back when i was eating 350g protein a day i was like a walking Sauna

getting that high protein, have you got the meat sweats yet? back when i was eating 350g protein a day i was like a walking Sauna

Ever since I started TRT I noticed a huge increase in perspiration, especially when training. I've gotten the dreaded protein gastrointestinal issues, which passed rather quickly (Thank God).

I wonder if the sweating has to do with the slight thermogenic effect of higher protein intakes? Hmmm

Ever since I started TRT I noticed a huge increase in perspiration, especially when training. I've gotten the dreaded protein gastrointestinal issues, which passed rather quickly (Thank God).

I wonder if the sweating has to do with the slight thermogenic effect of higher protein intakes? Hmmm

yes, imo it has a lot to do with the higher protein intake. protein is a lot more thermogenic then carbs/fats as it requires much more energy to break down. thats part of the reason why eating a higher protein diet makes you leaner..Meat Sweats are for real lol

also, i have Gas from the Depths of hell but i have always had that..

I am currently gagging my girlfriend with gratuitous protein clouds.

On a serious note.. I love macro calculations. This ones a little different than what I use but I got a similar number. Once I found my ratio which is 40/35/25 I really started noticing a difference in my energy and level of intensity.... n dem gainz.

Everyone has different methods, which is great. Glad I could contribute!

Yeah, I usually have to make adjustments based on the starting point, but it's actually pretty damn close in terms of finding a solid place from which to start. It's an eye opener for many people to see how much (or how little) they can get away with eating.
Oh no doubt. People are always blown away when they start. They don't realize what they are eating every day.

500-600 and it was aweful. My girl would be in the next room screaming at me. Lol the dogs kept trying to come in the bathroom.though, they were digging it.

Top Bottom