napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Who else here trains a fighting sport; bjj, muay thai, boxing, judo, mma?

My younger brother is notorious for getting in dudes heads by throwing vicious jabs. He'll keep his right hand static and after 30 lefts...BOOM, you think you're at a rave.

Personally, I enjoy simple 1,2,1,1,2,1,2 and follow that 2 completely through with a slicing elbow off the momentum of it.

That is the basics to it and what all fighters need to have before any further progress can be made.Got to have a Piston left jab.

I have trained since I was 15, not consecutively mostly on and off, had a few good years where I was consistent and I fought and competed.

Won two kb matches, went to a draw in a boxing match(thought I won but promoter was the trainer of the guy I fought).

Competed in one bjj tournament as a white belt but got sandbagged like a mfer, the guy who beat me had a high belt in judo given to him by his bjj coach and a few years experience in sambo even with all that I gave him a run for his money and almost guillotined him, he told me afterwards I would have had it if I hadn't let go though he might have just been being nice.

Nowadays I don't train as much, I work 3rd shift and work 50-55 hours a week. Occasionally I'll go and grapple on the weekends, but rarely if ever do I spar any sort of striking. Just don't see the point if I literally never have the time to hit mitts, or even the bag.

If I ever switch to days and I get out at regular times I'll probably get back to it. Still bugs me when I see guys I used to beat up on doing well in events. Granted I think I beat up on them mostly because I was the only southpaw and I was pretty good at blocking their lead hand to throw off the rhythm and popping them with a solid cross.

I have trained since I was 15, not consecutively mostly on and off, had a few good years where I was consistent and I fought and competed.

Won two kb matches, went to a draw in a boxing match(thought I won but promoter was the trainer of the guy I fought).

Competed in one bjj tournament as a white belt but got sandbagged like a mfer, the guy who beat me had a high belt in judo given to him by his bjj coach and a few years experience in sambo even with all that I gave him a run for his money and almost guillotined him, he told me afterwards I would have had it if I hadn't let go though he might have just been being nice.

Nowadays I don't train as much, I work 3rd shift and work 50-55 hours a week. Occasionally I'll go and grapple on the weekends, but rarely if ever do I spar any sort of striking. Just don't see the point if I literally never have the time to hit mitts, or even the bag.

If I ever switch to days and I get out at regular times I'll probably get back to it. Still bugs me when I see guys I used to beat up on doing well in events. Granted I think I beat up on them mostly because I was the only southpaw and I was pretty good at blocking their lead hand to throw off the rhythm and popping them with a solid cross.

I got sandbagged like that my second tournament doing no gi. It was the white belt 170 division and this kid who looked like Webster ended up having 5 years of training under him and was clearly a blue belt absolutely smashed me. He got me in a head an arm choke that almost turned me purple. Afterwards he did ask me for my lifting routine because I was "the strongest person he's ever rolled with". I lol'd.

I got sandbagged like that my second tournament doing no gi. It was the white belt 170 division and this kid who looked like Webster ended up having 5 years of training under him and was clearly a blue belt absolutely smashed me. He got me in a head an arm choke that almost turned me purple. Afterwards he did ask me for my lifting routine because I was "the strongest person he's ever rolled with". I lol'd.

Yea it seems like at the bottom level of bjj tourneys thats super common. Its lame, I sort of get it, instructor withholds the promotion till the guy wins and the gym has a "champ" that was the dude I went up againsts deal. Right after he won he got his blue belt haha

Yea it seems like at the bottom level of bjj tourneys thats super common. Its lame, I sort of get it, instructor withholds the promotion till the guy wins and the gym has a "champ" that was the dude I went up againsts deal. Right after he won he got his blue belt haha

The deal with my guy was that his instructor was only a Purple belt so he couldn't promote him.

I see that "champ" bullshit all the time. It's lame. Oh yeah lets wait to give this guy that's clearly a blue belt his promotion until after he beats a guy that's a lower rank.

Damn that sucks. White is first level right?
Never competed and only trained a few months. But I'm a natural with some things. And I was subbing blues who had a few years on me. Felt nice. But if I had stayed with it, I would not have wanted to be promoted because I could whip some blue tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've trained in several styles of wrestling, since I was 5. Still train twice a week. I'm a bjj blue belt. Took me 13 months to get there. Haven't competed, but I love the training.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've trained in several styles of wrestling, since I was 5. Still train twice a week. I'm a bjj blue belt. Took me 13 months to get there. Haven't competed, but I love the training.

Gi or no gi? I never tried Gi in my short few months training. I think it would cause my claustrophobia to act up me lol.

Gi or no gi? I never tried Gi in my short few months training. I think it would cause my claustrophobia to act up me lol.

I roll both. I prefer no-gi. Growing up wrestling, the GI just feels weird to me.

Marital arts have always been my passion at heart. I started when I was 15 with Kung-Fu for 7 years. Then I realized the truth. Kung-Fu gave me incredible agility and flexibility, however is not good for real fights. Then I started boxing and kick boxing for another 7-8 years. What a difference in terms of real fights.

However, I'm more interested in health and agility, thus I want to go back into Kung-Fu. The beauty of it its all the philosophy and meditation behind it. The body gets strong internally, such as the immune system. Still today, I don't get sick and it made my legs huge and strong compared to the rest of my body muscles. Maybe it's also genetic. I'm glad I'm not a skinny leg guy, beside the fact that I train my legs and never skip leg days.

For those who ask about Kung-Fu styles, it was Wu-shu (basic ground preparation of 4-5 years needed to advance into any other style) and Baquazang (this is similar to Taichi, but aimed specifically for combat. Thus fast and explosive).

Sent from my RoidPhone using Tapatalk

I roll both. I prefer no-gi. Growing up wrestling, the GI just feels weird to me.

I prefer no gi too. Although my style includes a lot of pressure passing so the gi makes it much easier for me. In no gi I tend to work off my back a lot. I'm a pretty big Eddie Bravo fan and his stuff works well with me in no gi. I will have been training for 2 years this coming February. If I hadn't gotten hurt this year I would have my blue belt. I was steady tapping blue and purple belts and going rounds without getting tapped by brown belts. Then of course I tear my rotator cuff and am out for 4 months. I'm the only white belt electric chairing people at my school lol

I get like this if I take time off and am playing bottom in gi with someone much bigger.

lol...I boxed from age 14 to age 30. Then when MMA came to life the gyms were begging me to coach the boxing aspect. Semmed there were a lot of ju jitsu, jdo and wrestlers that didn't know much about striking. It did give me a chance to see what martial arts were for real and would also work in a street fight. I saw that karate kung fu,aikdo, yubiwaza, savate were not usefull in the street. Jujitsu and its cousin judo,boxing and wrestling are what you need to win mma or street. When I boxed competively could not juice due to needing very good win. Did do a cycle of 100cyp + 25mg winny. Made my punch harder.

Today I am always asked who wins a fight bewtween a boxer and an mma. I answer by asking...who has the best arm..peyton manning or roger clemens? Two different sports.

I would still coach but then kiddies came along.
A fight between a boxer and an mma? If the boxer can keep the other at boxing distance and prevent him to grapple, then he could win. If the mma is good at preventing the boxer from striking by keeping him too close to punch, then he could win. But, there is no way to know. It all comes down to their skills of striking without getting themselves injured. Street fights also don't have rules like within the ring or cage. Thus, make the fight happen and we'll see.

I would bet for mma, since they have a bit of all distance skills compared to boxers which uses only arms. Again, it's hard to foresee the results.

I started when I was 15yo, thus no AAS for the whole 'career'. Just proteins, good diet, and tons of kicks in my ass. At that time I had no idea about AAS. But it was a bless, I'm sure I would have injected for sure, thanks god I didn't know! Ignorance was a bless.

Muay Boran, Muay lao, jkd concepts, FMA
(striking arts mostly)
No titles or accomplishments to brag about.
No aas regimen for any of my training.
I never competed in anything i trained besides a little light sparring.

I prefer no gi too. Although my style includes a lot of pressure passing so the gi makes it much easier for me. In no gi I tend to work off my back a lot. I'm a pretty big Eddie Bravo fan and his stuff works well with me in no gi. I will have been training for 2 years this coming February. If I hadn't gotten hurt this year I would have my blue belt. I was steady tapping blue and purple belts and going rounds without getting tapped by brown belts. Then of course I tear my rotator cuff and am out for 4 months. I'm the only white belt electric chairing people at my school lol
I'm 6'4", long legs and ape-length arms. I prefer working off my back. I have alot more leverage and angles to work with, when in guard. I remember when I started, I was real seceptible to leg locks, but I've moved past that. I probably get tapped 10x more than I tap others, but I'm also constantly training with purps and up. I go to a really good school, with a deep talent pool. I think its good to have the competition and to train with people more skilled than yourself. If I'm always tapping people, I'm not learning shit, just rehearsing. Every time I get tapped, I have a new puzzle to figure out.

A fight between a boxer and an mma? If the boxer can keep the other at boxing distance and prevent him to grapple, then he could win. If the mma is good at preventing the boxer from striking by keeping him too close to punch, then he could win. But, there is no way to know. It all comes down to their skills of striking without getting themselves injured. Street fights also don't have rules like within the ring or cage. Thus, make the fight happen and we'll see.

I would bet for mma, since they have a bit of all distance skills compared to boxers which uses only arms. Again, it's hard to foresee the results.

I keep hearing this crap between ronda roussey and floyd mayweather. People can't seem to stop talking about it and since most know that I boxed they want me to explain. If this fight were in a boxing ring under boxing rules then ronda gets brain damage. If the fight is under mma rules then ronda stays down and chases floyd until grabs his. He may punch her out or she may make him tap. It aslo depends upon how hard does the boxer hit and can he hit equally hard with either hand. In a street fight the boxer has to get a few hard punches in asap. It could go either way based on what level skills and power each has.

People should understand that thousands of boxers have been killed ,maimed, or retire with no brain. There have been no deaths in mma, so I would say that boxing is more brutal. In Ali's day he woud fight Frazier for 15 friggin rounds. 15 rounds from one of the best left hooks ever is brutal. I have read that in each of those 3 fights that both men were near death and hospitalized for weeks.
I just consider mma and boxing to be different sports. Like I ask folks...who has the better arm...peyton manning or roger clemens?

I keep hearing this crap between ronda roussey and floyd mayweather. People can't seem to stop talking about it and since most know that I boxed they want me to explain. If this fight were in a boxing ring under boxing rules then ronda gets brain damage. If the fight is under mma rules then ronda stays down and chases floyd until grabs his. He may punch her out or she may make him tap. It aslo depends upon how hard does the boxer hit and can he hit equally hard with either hand. In a street fight the boxer has to get a few hard punches in asap. It could go either way based on what level skills and power each has.

People should understand that thousands of boxers have been killed ,maimed, or retire with no brain. There have been no deaths in mma, so I would say that boxing is more brutal. In Ali's day he woud fight Frazier for 15 friggin rounds. 15 rounds from one of the best left hooks ever is brutal. I have read that in each of those 3 fights that both men were near death and hospitalized for weeks.
I just consider mma and boxing to be different sports. Like I ask folks...who has the better arm...peyton manning or roger clemens?
There have definitely been mma deaths. Mainly due to weight cutting, but a handful guys have definitely died hours after a fight.

Boxing does have a higher risk of head trauma and the injury count (reported injuries that is) is higher.

Top Bottom