napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Waking up hungry

JL14028

I've been dieting, roughly 500 calorie deficit, trying to drop my bodyfat percentage for 5 months now. I've made significant progress. My issue is after I've met my daily caloric intake, I go to sleep but wake up a few hours later starving. I usually pace in and out of the kitchen, but usually cave and eat something like peanut butter or protein bar or even dark chocolate. I crave chocolate. I've tried to have a last meal of chocolate Casein protein to stay full but it doesn't cut it. I think this is hindering my fat loss.

DOES ANYONE HAVE SOMETHING THEY DO/eat before bed to not add food in the middle of the night?

I make.a.shake.with caesin milk and 2 nice scoops of peanut butter. All 3 sources are slow digesting. Seems to keep me good until i get up. If i do wake up i keep bcaa on hand. Works for me but i only sleep about 5hrs.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Well, i was going to suggest non fat greek yogurt before bed which is a caesin protein.

However, if you have been cutting for 5 months straight, then there lies the real issue. The longer you are in a deficit, the more your hormones shift/change. In particular, hormones such as leptin and ghrelin (spelling?). There are other hormones that change, but these are responsible for hunger and fat loss. Essentially, your body is fighting the weight loss by releasing powerful hormones signalling you to eat. The short of the story is you may want to reverse diet slowly back to maintenance calories and eat there for 2-4 weeks and let these hormones stabilize again. This is also called a "diet break."

Depending on your life style you should try intermittent fasting. It will be harder at the beginning while your body gets used to it but if you manage to eat a 1000-1500 cal meal late at night the chances are you're not going to be as hungry anymore. Keep in mind that an optimal fasting period is 5-8 hours so don't go too crazy.
As an alternative I will give you my personal experience: when I was going in deficit I could not do intermittent due to my lifestyle so I felt very hungry in the morning but oat meal as breakfast worked great for me. I do 1 cup with 0.5 cup almond milk, 3 tbsp of maple syrup and cinnamon for taste. It's about 400 cal, it has a lot of fiber, calcium and keeps me full for about 4 hours but you can stretch it to about 5-6 if you add a fruit or 2 with it which is enough time for the fasting period that will allow more calories to play with for later.

I agree with Ironlifter, take a break, it will make dieting both easier and more effective. I know mentally it may not be what you want to do, especially being summer. But IMO it'll be better for progress in the long run.

Depending on your life style you should try intermittent fasting. It will be harder at the beginning while your body gets used to it but if you manage to eat a 1000-1500 cal meal late at night the chances are you're not going to be as hungry anymore. Keep in mind that an optimal fasting period is 5-8 hours so don't go too crazy.
As an alternative I will give you my personal experience: when I was going in deficit I could not do intermittent due to my lifestyle so I felt very hungry in the morning but oat meal as breakfast worked great for me. I do 1 cup with 0.5 cup almond milk, 3 tbsp of maple syrup and cinnamon for taste. It's about 400 cal, it has a lot of fiber, calcium and keeps me full for about 4 hours but you can stretch it to about 5-6 if you add a fruit or 2 with it which is enough time for the fasting period that will allow more calories to play with for later.

I've considered intermittent fasting but some days I work 16 hours and just doesn't seem to work out. I will sample your oatmeal tomorrow as it is a high carb day. [emoji1303]

Well, i was going to suggest non fat greek yogurt before bed which is a caesin protein.

However, if you have been cutting for 5 months straight, then there lies the real issue. The longer you are in a deficit, the more your hormones shift/change. In particular, hormones such as leptin and ghrelin (spelling?). There are other hormones that change, but these are responsible for hunger and fat loss. Essentially, your body is fighting the weight loss by releasing powerful hormones signalling you to eat. The short of the story is you may want to reverse diet slowly back to maintenance calories and eat there for 2-4 weeks and let these hormones stabilize again. This is also called a "diet break."

It does make a lot of sense , it's like my body needs a re feed or something. The diet was fairly easy to deal with in the beginning but the hunger is off the charts. I will take your advice and "reset" thanks bud

I agree with Ironlifter, take a break, it will make dieting both easier and more effective. I know mentally it may not be what you want to do, especially being summer. But IMO it'll be better for progress in the long run.

Yes I agree as well. I'm going to an island for vacation soon so it's probably a good time to ease up . This is leanest I've ever been and still retaining a good amount of muscle. I just gotta make sure I don't get carried away! Thanks

How are your meals spaced during the day and how do you split up your macros? Is it all even throughout the day or do you do some pyramiding. I prefer to have the biggest meal for breakfast, and then have calories get smaller and smaller until the last meal with decreasing carbs as well. I have had times when I have woke up hungry doing this and for me the best thing has been to eat at least a cup of raw spinach with my 4-6oz piece of fish as the last meal around 8pm-9pm. Normally, I try to just eat the fish by itself, but can't be raiding the pantry at 3am and loading myself on Oreos (this has happend....more than once...) Ultimately, if you have to pack more calories into your last meal or eat your last meal later or both, its better than a complete breakdown. Good luck and don't get too frustrated with yourself. I think most of us have been there or are there. I am in the middle of a 500 calorie deficit myself and have been really struggling 6pm and later with urges.

Anytime you're in a calorie deficit, you are going to crave all sorts of things. Try cheat meals once a week to help reduce your cravings and keep you sane. Also make sure to drink enough water and eat foods high in fiber, if you can't - make sure to take fiber supplements. I usually go with sweet potatoes or black beans. Try to save your last meal with the most calories. If you like cottage cheese, eat a cup of cottage cheese if you wake up hungry. Also take melatonin to help keep you fast asleep.

Like the other guys suggested, reverse diet for a week then go back on your plan to help keep your metabolism going.
Just keep pushing yourself and you'll get there! Best of luck my man.

No problem bro. The diet is easy in the beginning, but when these hormones shift it becomes increasingly difficult. I am on my mobile now otherwise i would like an article on leptin and ghrelin. Once you begin to understand these hormones it starts to make since. It takes more than one refeed meal to reset them too.

Also, with your upcoming vacation probably a good idea to bring yourself out of that deficit ahead of time. Having been in a prolonged deficit you are primed to gain fat...going on vacation and eating like most normal people do on vacation could impact your progress. Not sure how much time you have before your vacation, but i normally reverse diet by adding 100-150 calories per week by way of adding primarily carbs. The longer the cut, the slower the increase in calories. A 5 month cut could easily warrant at least a 4 -5 week reverse diet to maintenance.

I personally always get hungry in the middle of the night and generally my stomach will wake me up. I try to leave 4-500 calories for the night time and eat something clean, like Gixxer mentioned cottage cheese. I'll do lil chicken and a bit of broccoli at night and a glass of milk sometimes or peanut butter and banana and a glass of milk or really whatever that is clean that fulfills the hunger cravings. I personally don't like intermittent fasting as it doesn't work for me, though i've heard a lot of success stories. If i don't eat i end up getting nauseated, though ephedrine helps to curve my appetite, but I wouldn't recommend taking that at night, lol.

Try to save your last meal with the most calories.

??I've never heard this before, care to elaborate? I've always had the train of thought that breakfast should be the meal with the most calories. Are you only suggesting this that maybe higher calories will possibly carry him through the night?

Top Bottom