napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Steady state cardio benefits your BRAIN – an academic POV

Blue_Shine

In this post I had chosen to elaborate on Dylan's video on “The Benefits of Steady State Cardio” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuLL5mQkgI) with an academic spin.

I opted to focus on new and current studies that emerged in the past year that have shown multitudinous benefits to aerobic exercise that extends way beyond the conventional wisdom. Here is a sneak peak to how your brain thanks you for doing your Cardio.

Steady state cardio can improve your reasoning ability, attention, memory, spatial orientation and navigation by forming new brain cells
The part of our brain responsible for those activities is called the Hippocampus. A great deal of the junctions (synapses) between neurons are formed and lost throughout life, but the older we get, the more we lose – a fact of life. Accumulating data from both animal and human research show that aerobic exercise routines can cause formation of new nerve cells that govern those functions. This is so much so, that the WHO (World Health Organization) is now investigating aerobic exercise as a form of therapy for Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease(1).

Steady state cardio can improve your vision
An interesting study had investigated various animal models, and has proven that engaging in regular aerobic exercise causes structural changes in the part of the brain that interprets what we see. This part, the visual cortex, is responsible for most of the information processed in the brain (our eyes actually deliver more information than any other sense). The visual cortex's function also declines with time as we age, but this study directly implicates steady state cardio with the ability to preserve visual function, and visual reflexes throughout our lifetime(2).

Steady state cardio has been shown to improve motor functions
Aerobic exercise has also been demonstrated to improve functions of a region in the brain called the Striatum. This area governs our ability to execute and initiate precise movements as well as improve motor learning. Brain imaging has shown that adults undertaking cardio as a routine, had improved function in that area of the brain throughout their lives(3).

Steady state cardio may literally help you stay sane
Studies have shown that aerobic exercise acts on the previously mentioned Hippocampus region of the brain, that are damaged during various psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia, cognition decline and psychosocial responses. Adults undertaking cardio training regularly demonstrate a healthy brain that has been proven to be less likely to develop all of these conditions. This is also currently explored as a therapy modality in the field of clinical psychiatry(4).

Steady state cardio helps combat neuropathic pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain that arises on the background of injury to nerve cells, that could occur, for an example after a nerve trauma in an accident - and may last for life. It has been shown that aerobic exercise causes the brainstem to produce compounds that act inside the spinal cord, that blocks pain signals from reaching the brain(5).

P.S. A shout out to the members of this forum, as well as Dylan – for being so open to furnishing this forum with an academic view on sports physiology. It's refreshing to see a platform that welcomes the marriage between experience and science. Right on.

References can be found in the following post

Last edited:
References
(1) Physical exercise induces hippocampal neurogenesis and prevents cognitive decline. / Ma CL, Ma XT, Wang JJ, Liu H, Chen YF, Yang Y; Journal of Behavioural Brain Research (2016); (2) Physical Exercise Preserves Adult Visual Plasticity in Mice and Restores it after a Stroke in the Somatosensory Cortex / Kalogeraki E, Pielecka-Fortuna J, Hüppe JM, Löwel S; Frontiers in aging neuroscience (2016); (3)Influence of aerobic exercise training on the neural correlates of motor learning in Parkinson's disease individuals / Duchesne C, Gheysen F, Bore A, Albouy G, Nadeau A, Robillard ME, Bobeuf F, Lafontaine AL, Lungu O, Bherer L, Doyon J.; Clinical Journal of Neuroimaging (2016); (4) Aerobic Exercise as a Tool to Improve Hippocampal Plasticity and Function in Humans: Practical Implications for Mental Health Treatment./ Kandola A, Hendrikse J, Lucassen PJ, Yücel M.; Frontiers of Neuroscience (2016); (5) Role of brainstem serotonin in analgesia produced by low-intensity exercise on neuropathic pain after sciatic nerve injury in mice./ Bobinski F, Ferreira TA, Córdova MM, Dombrowski PA, da Cunha C, Santo CC, Poli A, Pires RG, Martins-Silva C, Sluka KA, Santos AR.; Journal of Pain (2015); (6)

Another incredible post of yours full of information bro. I wasn't aware of the vast mental benefits that steady state cardio brings, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Some of my best moments of thought are during my cardio sessions and I feel it gives me the mental clarity I need

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Where did you come from? Lol you have great posts awesome information, thanks for this, and welcome btw.

In the zone, killin' it!

NOT a Giant Cardio fan, but slowly working my way into it, especially after getting and seeing some results. Good to see some other benefits as well. Going to need to look up all these different types I see described.

i can absolutely confirm all of this to be true through, oh i dont know, the last 20 some off years of major steady state cardio... i started really hitting steady state cardio hard when i was in 8th grade.. roughly at the age of 12... my consistency has been there damn near all of these years and i can tell you that this study is spot on... the benefits on the mind alone are staggering... it just opens up so much clarity within everything you do.. it puts you in a far better mood and adds significant amounts of energy...

In this post I had chosen to elaborate on Dylan's video on “The Benefits of Steady State Cardio” (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuLL5mQkgI) with an academic spin.

Steady state cardio can improve your reasoning ability, attention, memory, spatial orientation and navigation by forming new brain cells
The part of our brain responsible for those activities is called the Hippocampus. A great deal of the junctions (synapses) between neurons are formed and lost throughout life, but the older we get, the more we lose – a fact of life. Accumulating data from both animal and human research show that aerobic exercise routines can cause formation of new nerve cells that govern those functions. This is so much so, that the WHO (World Health Organization) is now investigating aerobic exercise as a form of therapy for Alzheimer's disease and Parkinson's disease(1).

Steady state cardio has been shown to improve motor functions
Aerobic exercise has also been demonstrated to improve functions of a region in the brain called the Striatum. This area governs our ability to execute and initiate precise movements as well as improve motor learning. Brain imaging has shown that adults undertaking cardio as a routine, had improved function in that area of the brain throughout their lives(3).

Steady state cardio may literally help you stay sane
Studies have shown that aerobic exercise acts on the previously mentioned Hippocampus region of the brain, that are damaged during various psychiatric diseases, including schizophrenia, cognition decline and psychosocial responses. Adults undertaking cardio training regularly demonstrate a healthy brain that has been proven to be less likely to develop all of these conditions. This is also currently explored as a therapy modality in the field of clinical psychiatry(4).

these points especially are ones that i have had such a huge experience with... there's a damn reason why im so addicted to cardio...

these points especially are ones that i have had such a huge experience with... there's a damn reason why im so addicted to cardio...

There's also an interesting study showing that the addition of cardio training before the age of 10 allows for restructuring of lung tissue to accommodate greater Functional inhaled O2 capacity throughout lifetime that cannot be achieved if cardio is started later on. Seemed a bit too into the weeds for this piece, though :)

Last edited:
i can absolutely confirm all of this to be true through, oh i dont know, the last 20 some off years of major steady state cardio... i started really hitting steady state cardio hard when i was in 8th grade.. roughly at the age of 12... my consistency has been there damn near all of these years and i can tell you that this study is spot on... the benefits on the mind alone are staggering... it just opens up so much clarity within everything you do.. it puts you in a far better mood and adds significant amounts of energy...
I agree bro. Cardio really helps keep the balance in my life....not just physically but mentally as well

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

You already know how I feel about it and happily testify that steady state cardio is good for mind, body and spirit. I strive to find a health balance between lifting and a lot of cardio which complements my body very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let me put it to you this way... at this point in where im at with cardio training, its like eating and breathing to me... i literally could not survive without it...

Top Bottom