napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Gluten Free Angel Food Cake

Partikkel

[attachment=1:1bq0rvlg]IMG_3280.jpg[/attachment:1bq0rvlg]

Getting diagnosed with Celiac Disease was one of the best and worst things that ever happened to my diet. It turns out that agonizing pain is a pretty good motivator for keeping my inner fat kid from destroying my eating habits, but it was horribly depressing to come to terms with all of the foods that are now forever off limits.

This recipe is actually one of the few I can honestly say is better than its gluten-filled counterpart. I won't try to pass this off as healthy - it is essentially a huge refined mess of sugar and happiness - but whenever I find myself going a bit nuts from keeping a strict diet, this is my cheat meal.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
    1/4 cup Potato Starch
    1/4 cup Corn Starch
    1/4 cup White Rice Flour
    3/4 cup Sugar
    1/2 cup Sugar (set aside)
    1 & 2/3rds cup Egg Whites
    1 teaspoon Gluten Free Vanilla Extract
    3/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg

Directions:
  • 1. Separate 10-12 egg whites into a measuring cup until you have somewhere between 1&1/2 to 1&2/3 cups. Make sure to use actual eggs, as products like All Whites or Egg Beaters won't whip in the way we need them to.

2. Pour the egg whites into a bowl of an electric mixer and add the Vanilla Extract, Salt, Cream of Tartar, and Nutmeg.

3. Go away for at least 30 minutes and let everything come to room temperature. Use this time to preheat the oven to 350°F

4. In a separate bowl, combine the Tapioca Flour, White Rice Flour, Corn Starch, Potato Starch, and 3/4c. Sugar. Use a fork to make sure that these are mixed evenly.

5. Once the egg whites have reached room temperature, use the medium setting on an electric mixer (with the whisk attachment) until "soft peaks" form. I'm using a Kitchen Aid 600 on setting "6" and it takes roughly 2-3 minutes. When you remove the whisk attachment you want the mix to hold its shape for a bit before slowly sinking.

6. Add the remaining 1/2c. of sugar and turn the mixer on high until "stiff peaks" form (when you take the whisk out, the peak left shouldn't sink at all). This takes another 2-3 minutes on "10" for my machine.

7. Remove the mixing bowl from the mixer and with a spatula, fold in the flour/sugar mixture you combined earlier. Once this is well combined, spoon it all into an Angel Food Cake Pan.

8. Use a butter knife to slide around the mix when it's in the pan. The goal is to get rid of any pockets of air that are below the surface.

9. Move your oven rack to the very lowest position and cook at 350°F for 45-50minutes. It is finished cooking when you can insert a knife the whole way through the loaf and it comes out clean.

10. As soon as you remove it from the oven, invert the pan and let it cool for at least an hour. I usually stick a bottle of olive oil into the top of the Angel Food Cake Pan hole and use it as a stand.

Notes:
- If you don't have an Angel Food Cake pan, you can probably use 2 8" or 9" loaf pans instead. Just be sure to get them on their side to cool when you take them out of the oven.
- Unlike 'normal' Angel Food Cake, this mix won't rise much at all. As long as it isn't spilling over the top of the pan when you stick it in the oven, it very likely won't overflow once inside. If you're worried, you can stick a piece of aluminum foil on the bottom of your oven to be safe.
- I have no clue how the Splenda for baking would work. Gluten Free recipes tend to be more fragile than non-GF recipes, so it could potentially be awful.
- If you opt to use a Gluten Free flour mix instead of the 4 individual flours, make sure there isn't any leavening agent added.

Hopefully someone digs this. CD really makes finding good recipes a pain in the ass, and I spent a good chunk of time tweaking this one until I found a method I really loved. Your abs (and blood sugar levels) will hate me for it, but your mouth should be damn happy.

[attachment=0:1bq0rvlg]IMG_3244.jpg[/attachment:1bq0rvlg]

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 11
Looks delicious man! Definitely not something I would eat very often lol, but this is a great option for those with gluten issues. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom