napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Playing Around With Macros

Testdude63

I'm right around mid blast of an 18 weeker with test, eq, and mast. I've been slowly putting on weight and adding some quality lean tissue and strength. Lately I've had a few days where I get pretty bloated and find it difficult to cram in my current macros of: 325/530/80 (protein, carbs, fats). I'm going to swap some carbs for healthy fats and see how I get on. Going to be closer to 330/500/90. It's very marginal, but it's always good to experiment.

How many of you guys that track have tried playing around with macros? I know some people who swear by higher fats (120+ grams) and some who swear by low-low fats (50-60 grams). I'm just playing around a bit to see what happens lol.

By the way, currently sitting at 198.2 morning weight and started 10 weeks ago at 191 (post cruise/cut).

I'm right around mid blast of an 18 weeker with test, eq, and mast. I've been slowly putting on weight and adding some quality lean tissue and strength. Lately I've had a few days where I get pretty bloated and find it difficult to cram in my current macros of: 325/530/80 (protein, carbs, fats). I'm going to swap some carbs for healthy fats and see how I get on. Going to be closer to 330/500/90. It's very marginal, but it's always good to experiment.

How many of you guys that track have tried playing around with macros? I know some people who swear by higher fats (120+ grams) and some who swear by low-low fats (50-60 grams). I'm just playing around a bit to see what happens lol.

By the way, currently sitting at 198.2 morning weight and started 10 weeks ago at 191 (post cruise/cut).

I think I have tried every combo there is...lol. I do not like 500gms of carbs. Whenever I do 2.5 gms /lb, which is about where you are, I just don't care for it. I like to first of all get my 2gms protein/lb which gives me 420gms protein. Then half that is carbs @210gms and fat is 50gms. This puts me at around 3000cals which is 200-400 above maintenance. Now since I added GW, I do a lot more cardio and my maint. cals are well over 3000. I adjusted with fat cals from coconut oil and coconut mct's. I guess you have to play around and see what works for you.

I think I have tried every combo there is...lol. I do not like 500gms of carbs. Whenever I do 2.5 gms /lb, which is about where you are, I just don't care for it. I like to first of all get my 2gms protein/lb which gives me 420gms protein. Then half that is carbs @210gms and fat is 50gms. This puts me at around 3000cals which is 200-400 above maintenance. Now since I added GW, I do a lot more cardio and my maint. cals are well over 3000. I adjusted with fat cals from coconut oil and coconut mct's. I guess you have to play around and see what works for you.
Interesting. I've heard varying degrees of logic on the protein intake. I've had people on aas tell me my protein intake is way too high, and then some tell me it's too low. Sometimes I don't know what to believe lol.

I know John Meadows is an advocate of a lower protein intake and says that NO ONE should ingest more than 300 grams a day, whereas other pro's and gurus will tell you AT LEAST 2 grams per lb of bw. That would put me at around the 400 mark. Hmm lol.

Interesting. I've heard varying degrees of logic on the protein intake. I've had people on aas tell me my protein intake is way too high, and then some tell me it's too low. Sometimes I don't know what to believe lol.

I know John Meadows is an advocate of a lower protein intake and says that NO ONE should ingest more than 300 grams a day, whereas other pro's and gurus will tell you AT LEAST 2 grams per lb of bw. That would put me at around the 400 mark. Hmm lol.

Sure...it is all over the place...not just protein, but carbs too. That is why I am telling you to mess around with it. I found what works for me, by keeping notes and trying different combos. No one person can say what is good for all of us. That guru does not exist. The only guru for us is ourselves.

Sure...it is all over the place...not just protein, but carbs too. That is why I am telling you to mess around with it. I found what works for me, by keeping notes and trying different combos. No one person can say what is good for all of us. That guru does not exist. The only guru for us is ourselves.
You make a valid point. I've tried a lot of things over the years. My first prep in 2008 I used a keto based diet, leaned up quickly, but put a shit ton back on post contest very fast. I scrapped that idea and chalked it up to a learning experience.

2011 I became a carb burning machine and was eating into my show at around 425 grams a day the last two weeks. Looked great and ended up taking a W in a decent open division. After that, my body was quite stubborn. I would go flat if I dropped carbs a hair, yet I'd spill if I pushed them a wee bit too high. It was a pain in the arse lol.

Now that I'm no longer natural, it's a whole new learning experience. Got to keep notes!!

Thanks for your insight, Jake. It's always good to hear from the vets :).

I think it comes down to how carb sensitive you are. Some people tolerate higher carbs than others. For those that don't tolerate higher carbs, higher fats seem to work better

I know for me I prefer moderate carbs up to about 400 (but no more), with fats usually under 80 or so when my calories are aimed at gaining. Protein is always around 250-300. And for the record I'm around 195 so not far from you. I can't push it much past that or the fat comes on pretty quick.

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

I think it comes down to how carb sensitive you are. Some people tolerate higher carbs than others. For those that don't tolerate higher carbs, higher fats seem to work better

I know for me I prefer moderate carbs up to about 400 (but no more), with fats usually under 80 or so when my calories are aimed at gaining. Protein is always around 250-300. And for the record I'm around 195 so not far from you. I can't push it much past that or the fat comes on pretty quick.

It took forever to get me gaining on this blast. I'm very active during the day and constantly on my feet. My pedometer clocks around 16-17,000 steps a day and that doesn't account for my gym time. I should get a raskal so I don't rack up so much NEAT ;) lol.

It took forever to get me gaining on this blast. I'm very active during the day and constantly on my feet. My pedometer clocks around 16-17,000 steps a day and that doesn't account for my gym time. I should get a raskal so I don't rack up so much NEAT ;) lol.
Obviously your calorie expenditure is pretty high so that does account for some extra intake to compensate

I do have a pretty active and physically demanding job, but it does vary a lot day to day depending on what needs done. Some days are balls to the wall where others I'm not doing much at all.

Obviously your calorie expenditure is pretty high so that does account for some extra intake to compensate

I do have a pretty active and physically demanding job, but it does vary a lot day to day depending on what needs done. Some days are balls to the wall where others I'm not doing much at all.

Some dudes complicate things in a situation such as yours. Seems like you're pretty level headed and you obviously know your stuff :). Weekly expenditure will even out in the long run. That's why you stay lean and mean!

Some dudes complicate things in a situation such as yours. Seems like you're pretty level headed and you obviously know your stuff :). Weekly expenditure will even out in the long run. That's why you stay lean and mean!
Oh ya man. I try not to overcomplicate anything. When it comes down to it simplicity can be your greatest ally. Some people do analyze the crap out of shit and have an adjustment or counteradjustment for everything that just sets them back farther than if they left it alone to begin with

Oh ya man. I try not to overcomplicate anything. When it comes down to it simplicity can be your greatest ally. Some people do analyze the crap out of shit and have an adjustment or counteradjustment for everything that just sets them back farther than if they left it alone to begin with

You just defined "wheel spinning" in one post lol.

Top Bottom