napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Study suggests WHY low SHBG can actually be bad despite T levels

chelades

Just saw this. Certainly explains why some guys have reported losing their libido on Mast and/or Proviron. More Free T is a good thing. However too much driving low SHBG can be bad not only because test can't be carried anywhere properly, but the androgen response is LOWERED in genes:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5136390/

In this study we have demonstrated that in the absence of SHBG large amounts of Te rapidly enter the cell where they are inactivated by conjugation to glucuronic acid and effluxed. In the presence of SHBG however, while there is reduced Te uptake, glucuronidation and efflux of Te are also reduced and the effects of Te on androgen responsive genes are enhanced. This in vitro study of the role of SHBG may have significant clinical relevance, and as such, the assessment of androgen deficiency in vivo should simply rely not only on measurements of total Te alone but also on the evaluation of serum SHBG levels.

These findings clearly demonstrate that SHBG plays an important regulatory and intracellular role to modify Te metabolism and function and to promote cell growth. These observations will need to be confirmed in other androgen sensitive tissues. If a consistent effect is demonstrated, it will significantly change our current understanding of the role of SHBG in health and disease.

Thanks for sharing - I do have to wonder how much real world effect this has as if I understand it correctly you'd have to pretty much wipe out your own SHBG to replicate the results of the experiment?

yes, going too low or too high on anything can be an issue... thats why it has to be controlled... you definitely dont want it too high but clearly do not want to crush it either...

Thanks for sharing - I do have to wonder how much real world effect this has as if I understand it correctly you'd have to pretty much wipe out your own SHBG to replicate the results of the experiment?

Not necessarily considering we're often dealing with larger amounts of free test, meaning the abscence of SHBG (or in smaller amounts) is greatly enhanced, plus steroid use lowers SHBG, plus certain compounds drive it even lower. I'd be more interested to see where this crossover point is, and whether they can put a number on it. IE: SHBG of * amount is what you don't want to go below. The higher your test is, and the more free it is, the lower your SHBG value will be comparatively overall.

Supposed, this is also the reason why many low SHBG men are non-responders (to some degree) to TRT. It doesn't get the chance to have the androgen response before it is quite literally washed away and inactivated.

Interesting, if nothing else.

Top Bottom