napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx
roidvisorsteroidify
osgear

Macros

C

cbbram00

Is there a basic rule of thumb you go by for macros (percentage)?

Carbs
Protein
Fats

For bulking...

For cutting...

I understand caloric intake is a factor but I'm trying to get a better understanding of macros (percentage).

It all really depends on you. 50% protien 30% carbs 20% fat works great for me year round. But bulking generally you would want to add more protien and carbs, cutting would be cutting a lil protien and cutting alot more carbs

This is a typical day for me lately... I'm thinking upping my protein some would be a good idea...

43253082ac6ea5817ddb5b0b21bb6828.jpg

cbbram said:
This is a typical day for me lately... I'm thinking upping my protein some would be a good idea...

Definitely a good idea. The rule of thumb on protein is typically to eat 1.5 to 2g of protein per lb of bodyweight. I typically eat 1.5g per lb when cutting and I'm planning to eat 2g per lb for my next bulk.

You are currently eating 145g of protein, which would be adequate if you weighed 96.6 lbs. :)

cbbram said:

Definitely increase that protein buddy. I would go 1.5g per pound minimum. My macro split is usually around 45% protein, 40% carbs, and 15% fats

I know this sounds goofy but here is how I do it. I am 200lbs , so first thing is protein 2gms/lb so that is 400grams of protein @ 1600 calories. To maintain I only need 2190 calories, so that doesn't leave me too much choice. So my carbs are 80grams and 320 calories, and fat 30grams and 270 calories. The ratio is crazy I know, but this is what keeps me failry ripped all year long. I dont like the whole scene of bulk and cut. Just stay cut.I don't like being over 10% BF. For me the ratio is 73% Protein-14% Carbs-12%Fat @ 2190 calories. Old school! If I was going to bulk I would add fat like nut butters and hard cheese, and add about 400 calories per day.
I do realize that a lot of the stuff I do is old school and today sounds weird, but it works for me. I got teased today for my 250cyp/250sus/400eq/200deca cycle,but I tell them I wil check back on them when they are 66! ha..of course I will be long gone but I still like to say it!

drb_iac said:
I know this sounds goofy but here is how I do it. I am 200lbs , so first thing is protein 2gms/lb so that is 400grams of protein @ 1600 calories. To maintain I only need 2190 calories, so that doesn't leave me too much choice. So my carbs are 80grams and 320 calories, and fat 30grams and 270 calories. The ratio is crazy I know, but this is what keeps me failry ripped all year long. I dont like the whole scene of bulk and cut. Just stay cut.I don't like being over 10% BF. For me the ratio is 73% Protein-14% Carbs-12%Fat @ 2190 calories. Old school! If I was going to bulk I would add fat like nut butters and hard cheese, and add about 400 calories per day.
I do realize that a lot of the stuff I do is old school and today sounds weird, but it works for me. I got teased today for my 250cyp/250sus/400eq/200deca cycle,but I tell them I wil check back on them when they are 66! ha..of course I will be long gone but I still like to say it!

LOL, I love your posts and your perspective on things DrB! It's always a pleasure to hear your side of things, and it's always nice having your input here brother!

I appreciate everyone's input... Got some tweaking to do!!! (not literally) lol

Very good info all around, opened my eyes big-time, I'm way behind when it comes to this, I need to get my shit together and fast!!!!

Changing my life around one day at a time!!

drb_iac said:

Damn DrB, 73/14/12? I've never even heard of anything like that before. And you still have good energy level at 14% carbs? I'm tempted to try this at some point down the road to see how my body reacts. Thanks for sharing your method!

MrChristian said:
drb_iac said:

Damn DrB, 73/14/12? I've never even heard of anything like that before. And you still have good energy level at 14% carbs? I'm tempted to try this at some point down the road to see how my body reacts. Thanks for sharing your method!

Once your body adjusts from burning carbs all day long it begins to give you good energy from fats. Once you burn fats for energy then you no longer need those 5 small meals per day. Now keep in mind that I am older and as you age you need less calories to maintain. My choice has always been to get my energy from fats. Mostly eggs, avocado, and nuts and beef at least once per week. Once your body switches over to buring fat it becomes almost impossible to put fat on your body. If I were your age and could eat more calories I would still get the protein right first. Then I would keep carbs at 100grams and the balance fat. It is not easy and it takes your body time to make the adjustment. So typical for me is like today for lunch. 2 cans of tuna, one hardboiled yard egg,1/2 avocado. Dinner tonight will be steamed brocoli and freshly killed chicken.

Re: RE: Re: Macros

drb_iac said:
MrChristian said:
drb_iac said:

Once your body adjusts from burning carbs all day long it begins to give you good energy from fats. Once you burn fats for energy then you no longer need those 5 small meals per day. Now keep in mind that I am older and as you age you need less calories to maintain. My choice has always been to get my energy from fats. Mostly eggs, avocado, and nuts and beef at least once per week. Once your body switches over to buring fat it becomes almost impossible to put fat on your body. If I were your age and could eat more calories I would still get the protein right first. Then I would keep carbs at 100grams and the balance fat. It is not easy and it takes your body time to make the adjustment. So typical for me is like today for lunch. 2 cans of tuna, one hardboiled yard egg,1/2 avocado. Dinner tonight will be steamed brocoli and freshly killed chicken.
drb I appreciate you sharing your wisdom... I know the changes I need to make and I just need to take it to the next level.

Top Bottom