napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Life Question -- Why do you guys train?

Sup guys,

If this flies with the moderators, I wanted to ask everyone a bit of a life question...

....Why do you guys train?

And I'm not just talking about getting big, or getting strong, but WHY ELSE do you train?

Personally, I experience strong anxiety and frequent panic attacks, and the gym is one of those things that helps me get through these hard times through distraction and anxiety relief. And when all else fails in life, I can still see myself improving in at least something, and doing something productive when I have no other motivation. Sometimes, it's the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning. Getting muscular and the perks that come with it is great, but the act itself of weight lifting and BEING ABLE to have something which provides me that release, distraction and form of productivity is what is best to me.

Stemming from this I would also like to ask everyone, do YOU guys also experience panic attacks, if so then what ignites them for you, and how often do you experience them?

Because sitting on the coach watching TV sucks. I became extremely depressed once i knew my chances of playing football were over, dealing with injury and other life issues...through lifting i can capture a small piece of the past time i grew up on as well as distract myself from the lingering depression caused from losing such a big part of myself.

Going to the gym doesnt always feel good...but leaving the gym after a killer workout ALWAYS does.

Its practically my therapy.

[PM me for Titan Research price list, Use code SDbronco for 10% off your order!]

The reasons behind why I train have changed and evolved over time. Initially, I started training to change my physique. However, I soon realized training was an excellent way to manage and deal with stress in a constructive manor. Training soon became a form of meditation - a place where I could go disconnect from the stressors of day to day life and just focus on one thing. As I continued to train, I became interested in the science and physics behind it.

Today, I continue to train not only for the reasons mentioned above, but because I truly enjoy pushing myself to be better and better. I welcome the challenge each day as I step into the gym as I strive to reach new goals. I have also developed a true appreciation and respect for people with great physiques. Before I started, I had no idea the amount of hard work and discipline that was required to achieve a fantastic physique. Now I can look at someone and say to myself 'That person has put in a lot of hard work" and truly respect the work that individual has put in.

Aside from the obvious benefits to my body, I train for the mental therapy...the gym is my sanctuary. Its my moment of clarity. It's what keeps me balanced and what I need for "me" to keep me happy. No matter what is going on in my life, the gym is there for me to escape and unwind. It's the best stress reliever and better than any antidepressant.

Since I was little my dad always had me and my brother active, it could have been sports or just us three doing push ups and sit ups in the living room...we were always doing something. I've been in martial arts since I was little, thats due to the ninja turtles, power rangers and dragon ball z lol. and yes I still train with that youthful mindset. when I joined high school football thats when I fell in love with weight lifting, and thats when decided to go to school for sports medicine and kinesiology...which backfired...im at ups now haha!

I now have 3 boys, and I refuse to be the kind of dad that can't do anything with them. my father was always active with me, thats how I want to be for them. I feel like it helps influence fitness when you participate in it with your kids and make it fun. and of course I lift for myself, it makes me sane. in the weight room I can clear my mind... no family issues, no money issues, no job issues. its damn good therapy!!

I'm older than most on this forum. I'll be 62 in October. Been working out for half my life, just to be fit. When I was younger, it was to keep up with my kids. Now its to stave off old age. I was lucky enough to retire 3 years ago and I'm looking forward to an active life with family and friends.

When I was 28. I was lacing my boots up in the morning and I passed out. I had already knew I'd had low blood sugar but never did anything about it. My co-worker was there to help me up. He knew me back in high school when I played ball and he was fresh out of the military and needed some work so I hooked him up. He ran track. That morning he told me that "you hooked me up now I'm going to return th favor". We got back to the apartment and started working out. I never looked back since. Now I don't know what I'd do if I didn't lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanna take care of myself as long as I can and leave an impression on my boys to work hard and always push for your goals.

Going to the gym doesnt always feel good...but leaving the gym after a killer workout ALWAYS does.

Its practically my therapy.

[PM me for Titan Research price list, Use code SDbronco for 10% off your order!]

Very true. I can enter the gym in a shit mood and unmotivated to be there, but I would always leave feeling much better physically and mentally.

I was once an alcoholic. I lost a wife and great life to the booze. About 5 years ago I was obese, depressed and screwing up my current relationship. I decided to give something new a chance... The moment I started working out, I couldn't stop. It was something that made me feel great and didn't hurt anyone in the process. I was hooked!

Now I just annoy people with my diet. But hey, I'd rather do that than burn bridges with alcohol.

I was once an alcoholic. I lost a wife and great life to the booze. About 5 years ago I was obese, depressed and screwing up my current relationship. I decided to give something new a chance... The moment I started working out, I couldn't stop. It was something that made me feel great and didn't hurt anyone in the process. I was hooked!

Now I just annoy people with my diet. But hey, I'd rather do that than burn bridges with alcohol.

I too drank way too much before I hit the iron. Now it's not burning in my head to grab a beer. More like "how will I change my routine today?"

The reasons behind why I train have changed and evolved over time. Initially, I started training to change my physique. However, I soon realized training was an excellent way to manage and deal with stress in a constructive manor.

I welcome the challenge each day as I step into the gym as I strive to reach new goals.

Same here. Started out like most people just as a way to look better and feel 'superior' because of it. But now I see it's more than that. People need something that they can keep up with and maintain consistently in. Something that they can progress with. Without that "something" it's hard to remain positive and happy. For me that's the gym. People and money come and go, as do most things, but the gym remains, always stable. As long as I can accomplish something in the gym each day, my mood and productivity the rest of the day after better off because of it.

Its therapeutic for me. Keeps me sane and out of trouble. Teaches me discipline and gives me away to channel my aggression and emotions if need be. Its also where i go for ME time. I have 5 kids so life can get testy at times. No better way to focus and clear my mind then turing on my headphones and moving aome steel! It also raises self confidence and self esteem. All around solid mental and physical benefits

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

I workout because when I was younger I was always small got picked made fun of. So I wanted to be bigger. But I train the way I do now and diet the way I do now because still at the age of 26 I got laughed at because people didn't think I could ever bench 2 plates and when I said I would I got made fun of and even laughed at. 3 years later no ones laughing anymore now they just make excuses on why they can't lift this or that. That's the reason I train is to make people like that fell the way they made others feel.

Sports and my father are the two biggest reasons. When I was little, my dad would get up early and workout before work. It's something that always stuck with me and now I do the same. We both work in LE and as I get older and have to keep up with younger kids, the gym allows me to do so. I recently had a situation where I had to deal with a mid twenties guy in a physical encounter and I was very thankful that I train as hard and often as I do

Before my current job, I was a college athlete so I had to be in the gym. After that part of my life came to an end, the gym was a great way to keep some of the competition I had when I played

Damn the gym makes my anxiety worse for some reason. But anyway there's an old quote : I rather be a lion for 30 years than a sheep for 70, or something like that and it's true. I don't like being average..I don't like being the norm. I wanna stick out. The body is a complex machine designed to be a superior creature. We run this earth for a reason..I guess it's something from generations back before fast food and sitcoms and video games and preservatives..back when every man wanted to be a warrior..back when kids trained to be soldiers. I guess it's something magical n inspirational about the ancient civilisations that intrigued me. Let them be fat/skinny...I choose to take my body mind and spirit to the highest level I can achieve while I still walk the earth

Aside from the obvious benefits to my body, I train for the mental therapy...the gym is my sanctuary. Its my moment of clarity. It's what keeps me balanced and what I need for "me" to keep me happy. No matter what is going on in my life, the gym is there for me to escape and unwind. It's the best stress reliever and better than any antidepressant.

Exactly what RR said. I used to train to manage anger and decompress after coming off missions in Iraq. It was essential. Now I train to be happy and be me. I need the gym almost as much as it needs me lol.

Like others have said, my reasons have evolved and changed as I've gotten older...My original reasons and goals were the same as a lot of peoples; bigger arms and bigger chest, for no real reason except for not knowing any better, and seeing Arnold and Hulk Hogan on tv as a kid..That eventually led into having something productive and stress relieving to do during downtime in the military and keep my sanity...then onto a strength focus, and then a sport specific focus, which brings me to now. Currently I still have many of the original goals and reasons; get bigger, stronger, faster, and be healthy..but the bigger reasons for me is the therapeutic effect it has on my mental state and allows me to keep myself focused on the positive..without training I have a lot more free time on my hands and that can turn into a bad thing for me, lol. Recently i took a few years off training and got into some bad shit, and training has allowed me.to take back control of my situation...Lastly,training(among other things)allows me to set a good example and be a good role for my kids and show them being active has benefits, and hard work pays off if you apply yourself.

This is my life, period... I have been an athlete my entire life... I played 4 sports at certain points in high school... Then college basketball... After injuries I switched to modeling which had me in the gym even more than before... Its like eating and breathing to me... I need it to just survive... Its a major part of my happiness and feeling complete... I dont know what I would ever do without it... Its something I thrive on... Its one of my true loves and it does everything possible for me in terms of feeling happy and complete, and the obvious reasons of health and happiness...

Top Bottom