napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Keto Diet Question - Is it "All or Nothing?"

ThePineal

not sure if there's a specified area for questions like this - but anyhow, I've never actually tried the keto diet, though I've increase seeing more and more interesting studies and success stories.

my question is as the title says - is this an all or nothing type of diet?

everything I've researched about it, is that there's really not much room for deviation from the 5-10% carbs, 15-20% protein, 70% fat. and if you DO deviate, especially with glucose, then you've set yourself back like 5 days.

I'd like to hear from the guys who've done/are doing keto. if you're not following it completely, then will it actually be detrimental to your weight/health?

exaample: if you were eating too much protein, but still doing the high fat and low carbs...does that then mean that you're not in ketosis, and hence will actually put on fat, or something else detrimental?

Worked great for me when I was losing body fat. I lost some good size muscle wise though. You pretty much have to stick to the macros so that you get into ketosis and also stay there and don't knock yourself out of keto. Your muscles will look really flat while in keto. So personally, I'd only do it if you have quite a bit of body fat to drop. Just me..

Also about your last question...you can eat too much fat and protein for sure. If you're eating too much fat and you're in keto... your body is going to burn the fat you're eating instead of stored body fat. Which means no weight/fat loss. But when I was in keto I had to make myself eat. I was hardly ever hungry.

Worked great for me when I was losing body fat. I lost some good size muscle wise though. You pretty much have to stick to the macros so that you get into ketosis and also stay there and don't knock yourself out of keto. Your muscles will look really flat while in keto. So personally, I'd only do it if you have quite a bit of body fat to drop. Just me..

thanks, really helpful! I was also really wondering about the muscle aspect. it's so confusing, cuz you see all these videos on youtube of these pretty buff and ripped guys advocating keto. it's one of those things that defies a lot of what we've been taught i.e. MUST eat a lot of protein.

so then how do these dudes that are huge stay huge in ketosis?

has anyone ever heard of those products that help put you in ketosis faster?

I'd say those guys that are bigger and on keto are cycling for sure. The ketone products that are out there don't work. Your body takes a couple weeks at first to adjust to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. Of course alot of it depends on your workout routine and if you're depleting your carbs stored in your muscles. People that are working out and doing cardio will use up thier carb stores sooner than someone that is just doing the diet for say. So the ketone products won't do anything until your body is actually in ketosis and burning ketones for fuel. But by then your body is turning the fats you eat into ketones for fuel so those products are still useless.

hmmm...OK. I was 'hoping' that those keto products would help you get back into ketosis after a cheat day. like if you did a cheat day on Saturday, but took those keto products - then 'maybe' you could be back in ketosis by Monday night or Tuesday. that would be cool if they worked like that.

Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss talk about them, but it's still unclear how exactly it works.

Keto works. It works really well- IF you're truely in ketosis. Simple as that. But if you're honest with yourself and what you eat you will quickly see just how easy it is to overshoot that <30g of carbs requirement. Don't forget certain veggies such as onions hold some natural sugar, same as fruit, and will take you out of keto quick.

I believe in no leeway or exceptions when following a true keto diet. Eat a little too much protein or some natural sugars, as stated above, and you're now doing low carb dieting. Really inefficient low carb dieting at that.

If you want to follow a keto diet and drop weight quick, bite the bullet and say goodbye to those tasty carbs for a few weeks. Most people do keto with a goal in mind and don't plan to eat this way for the rest of their lives. A few weeks will be here quicker than you thought and once you see just how quick you start to drop fat, assuming everything else is on point, you'll find the motivation and lose the need for fruit and any other sugar source.

What I'm saying is, keto is an all or nothing approach in my experience. Shoot for no carbs period and you'll still end up with trace carbs. Good luck brother! Keto works really freakin' well if done right.

im not a believer in this diet at all... i will say this... it does work to an extent... you will lose weight if you stick to it, HOWEVER... its NOT sustainable... you simply cannot eat low carb forever... well, you can try but you are going to feel like fucking dog shit and its just not the healthiest way to diet... you will struggly to really get the size you want as well... i hate the diet personally... i never recommend it but i dont hate on people that do it either because people have different purposes and reasons for using and doing things and im open to that... my personal feeling on it, is that i would never recommend it... thats just my thought

I'm not a fan of keto for bodybuilding purposes. Yes, you can get results but there is a huge price to pay. Fatigue, extreme loss of muscle fullness, energy and pumps, and decline in performance. To each their own on dieting methods but it's nothing I condone. Low carb to me is still about 150g carbs per day and that was for contest prep. Different people have different sensitivities to carbs and insulin response, but I feel a properly constructed macro ratio in a defecit is a better plan in this lifestyle

I have done Keto many times and I will say there is not magical fat loss compared to a standard diet as long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Keto is a fad and it was created for people with epilepsy. It will also screw up your cholesterol big time. My total Cholesterol went to 260 only after 3 months jumped on GW Sarmsx standard low fat moderate card protein diet Cholesterol dropped to 185. My ending of this post is if it helps you stick to your diet by all means do it. It works if you are in a caloric deficit but it nothing magical like everything else hard work train you ass off stick to your diet and your goals will be accomplished. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like it's necessary for me to say this. In my previous post, it may have sounded like I was praising/practically recommending a keto diet.. That's not what I intended at all.

ANY diet when followed correctly will produce outstanding results. Keto, low carb, paleo, etc.- whichever you choose. The key is sticking with it when the going gets tough and not allowing yourself for any cheating. Also, I assume since you're asking on a forum such as this one, you want to have some muscle and shape to you. The vets above me already said it- keto is not for a muscle guy looking for gains and performance. If you do it, get in and get out. Like Dylan said, it's not sustainable long term, nor should you be trying to sustain it for more than a few weeks unless you want to be flat, small, groggy, and looking like a teenage girl. RickRock and Dangans have already listed some less than desirable effects from keto above.

Do what you want, but the only people I see using a diet like this is a "fad" chick looking to be <95lbs or cancer patients, because of cancer's inability to live off ketones. Not you bro. Eat some good carbs, get stronger, look like you lift, and watch what you eat. If you commit to this lifestyle 100%, I can promise you that you will get amazing results on any other COMPLETE diet.

Remember, Keto involves removing a third (1/3) of your macros from your diet to achieve results. This can't be optimal.

Look in the sticky for RickRock's diet thread. It's first-class.

thanks so much for your insights guys, this is really helpful. it's still hard to 'really' know how effective or not it is. one prime example is Joe Rogan, who's a huge advocate of the keto diet - and I think he's been doing it for years. he's all about human optimization and prolonging life, so I doubt he'd do it if it was detrimental to his health or just didn't work.

I guess it's possible that he's supplementing with his own brand of supps - which 'maybe' helps him to stay more optimized and keep muscle mass. He's by no means a bodybuilder's size, but also not a small guy.

I've been thinking about it lately - I can't wait until like 10 years from now, when there's more solid scientific data on ALL of these diets, that truly shows which are most effective, healthiest, sustainable etc etc. because as of now, they're all saying they're best i.e. slow carb, no carb, Paleo, keto, vegan, vegetarian, Cohen etc etc...

What I'm saying is, keto is an all or nothing approach in my experience. Shoot for no carbs period and you'll still end up with trace carbs. Good luck brother! Keto works really freakin' well if done right.

this pretty much confirms what I was thinking - it's really all or nothing. considering doing it next year for 1-2 months - just to see how it feels, as most report feeling really great, especially cognitive clarity and sharpness, albeit less explosive energy.

I have done Keto many times and I will say there is not magical fat loss compared to a standard diet as long as you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight. Keto is a fad and it was created for people with epilepsy. It will also screw up your cholesterol big time. My total Cholesterol went to 260 only after 3 months jumped on GW Sarmsx standard low fat moderate card protein diet Cholesterol dropped to 185. My ending of this post is if it helps you stick to your diet by all means do it. It works if you are in a caloric deficit but it nothing magical like everything else hard work train you ass off stick to your diet and your goals will be accomplished. Good Luck

This is one of the other reasons I don't recommend it. Because of the extreme high fat intake, Keto can really mess up lipids and cholesterol numbers, so it's not exactly the healthiest diet to choose either

I feel like it's necessary for me to say this. In my previous post, it may have sounded like I was praising/practically recommending a keto diet.. That's not what I intended at all.

ANY diet when followed correctly will produce outstanding results. Keto, low carb, paleo, etc.- whichever you choose. The key is sticking with it when the going gets tough and not allowing yourself for any cheating. Also, I assume since you're asking on a forum such as this one, you want to have some muscle and shape to you. The vets above me already said it- keto is not for a muscle guy looking for gains and performance. If you do it, get in and get out. Like Dylan said, it's not sustainable long term, nor should you be trying to sustain it for more than a few weeks unless you want to be flat, small, groggy, and looking like a teenage girl. RickRock and Dangans have already listed some less than desirable effects from keto above.

Do what you want, but the only people I see using a diet like this is a "fad" chick looking to be <95lbs or cancer patients, because of cancer's inability to live off ketones. Not you bro. Eat some good carbs, get stronger, look like you lift, and watch what you eat. If you commit to this lifestyle 100%, I can promise you that you will get amazing results on any other COMPLETE diet.

Remember, Keto involves removing a third (1/3) of your macros from your diet to achieve results. This can't be optimal.

Look in the sticky for RickRock's diet thread. It's first-class.
i didnt feel like you were praising it at all... you just stated your thoughts etc but you never came across to me like you were praising it at all...

i didnt feel like you were praising it at all... you just stated your thoughts etc but you never came across to me like you were praising it at all...

Thanks for the reassurance brother. I know I'm new to the forum and last thing I want to do is seem like I'm advising the wrong things here. He just seemed so stoked to hear that the diet works, which it does just like any other diet, but there's more than one way to skin a cat- you know?

Thanks for the reassurance brother. I know I'm new to the forum and last thing I want to do is seem like I'm advising the wrong things here. He just seemed so stoked to hear that the diet works, which it does just like any other diet, but there's more than one way to skin a cat- you know?
absolutely man... there was nothing wrong with your post... you were giving both sides of it and thats what everyone should hear... you should always know your options and the good and bad that comes along with them... like i even said... it DOES work but to what extent and at what cost? you have to present ALL the facts though, just like you did

Dog no worries man everyone has right to their own opinion

Top Bottom