napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Fitness for pregnant

bekren

was discussing how safe/unsafe different types of exercises are during pregnancy with a friend. I thought Id ask on here too.

Did you exercise throughout your pregnancy? If so, what did you do (Walking, swimming, running, free weights etc) and how often per week?

Specifically, are abdominal exercises (like crunches) bad for baby during all trimesters of pregnancy?

Did you find it helped keep weight off? With the actual birth? Staying fit beyond birth?

How much weight did you gain during your pregnancy?

Thanks

I go to the gym at least 3 times a week I do a step aerobics class & 2 body pump classes (which is basically weights to music) each week. I do sit ups and push ups but I don't push myself as much as I would if I wasn't pregnant, but I was also doing these classes prior to falling pregnant. I have spoken to to my instructors and midwife and they have all said one of most important thing is to not overheat and drink plenty of fluids - & not to jump as it can weaken your pelvic floor as the baby gets heavier - just listen to your body if something doesn't feel right stop!

I'm only 13wks pregnant (3rd pregnancy) & I haven't put on much weight nor am I'm not showing yet but after 2nd pregnancy I didn't exercise at all and I put on so much weight so I'm trying to avoid it this time! I walked alot with my first pregnancy which didn't help to much with the weight (though that's probably all that junk food I ate) but I felt better for it.

i see pregnant chicks at the gym here and there. really you need to discuss it with your doctor and i recommend a Doula as well

I own a gym and we have many pregnant women that come in... this is something you definitely need to speak with your doctor about though... every single person is different and you definitely want to speak with your doctor about it especially as they monitor you...

i agree with Dylan, you should speak to your doctor about it and find out your limitations toward it

It all started during my pregnancy. The doctor prescribed vitamins for pregnant women, but a week later I became ill, a rash appeared, I began to feel sick and as a result it turned out that the liver was suffering - the prescribed vitamins were not digested. Aquagymnastics for pregnant women. ... My exercise was running up the stairs to the second floor and running around the office with papers. Therefore, the first birth lasted 12 hours and was painful, the second lasted 6 hours and was acutely painful. I can advise you to try collagen. I took it during my second pregnancy and it went much easier than the first. From this point of view , collagen from thorne.com during pregnancy, you can. But we remind you once again, the decision on this should be made together with your doctor, taking into account all individual characteristics and possible contraindications.

I worked out up to 34 weeks then sporadic till the end. I did kettle bell and cardio/strength dvd's. I also had quit smoking a week before getting prego so when I found out I was prego I kinda let myself EAT ( only for a couple weeks till I regained control if myself lol) it was also the holidays so food was everywhere lol. I had a c section and dropped 20 lbs no prob. Unfortunately have had a VERY hard time losing the rest. I was working out 4/5 days a week tracking cals via MFP and ebf. It just wouldn't budge. Right now I can workout due to clogged milk duct issues but really hoping by next week to get back to it. I was in amazing shape before prego ( size 0 and tons of muscle definition ). I am thinking my body is holding it for bf so it is what it is I guess. LO getting bf is more important than being a size 0 :) it will come off eventually. I just thought it would melt off b/c I kept reading posts where woman's weight just fell off after birth even after gaining 50 lbs. nope not me. O well. Such is life :)

I worked out up to 34 weeks then sporadic till the end. I did kettle bell and cardio/strength dvd's. I also had quit smoking a week before getting prego so when I found out I was prego I kinda let myself EAT ( only for a couple weeks till I regained control if myself lol) it was also the holidays so food was everywhere lol. I had a c section and dropped 20 lbs no prob. Unfortunately have had a VERY hard time losing the rest. I was working out 4/5 days a week tracking cals via MFP and ebf. It just wouldn't budge. Right now I can workout due to clogged milk duct issues but really hoping by next week to get back to it. I was in amazing shape before prego ( size 0 and tons of muscle definition ). I am thinking my body is holding it for bf so it is what it is I guess. LO getting bf is more important than being a size 0 :) it will come off eventually. I just thought it would melt off b/c I kept reading posts where woman's weight just fell off after birth even after gaining 50 lbs. nope not me. O well. Such is life :)
I worked out, sorta, until about 36 weeks. It was tough for me though, bc I retained a ton of water and was so swollen. I stopped strength training around 6 months and switched to swimming and walking. Then stopped swimming and just kept walking a few times a week. But honestly I was so puffy I could barely stuff my feet in my tennies. I gained about 50 lbs total, and lost 30 within 2 weeks (water weight, much?) I still have 5 lbs to go at nearly 5 months pp. I'm breastfeeding and my body just doesn't want to give it up.
also good article: https://enrgifitness.com/fitness-for-pregnant/

Don't know about helping with labor bc I had a scheduled csection.

Generally speaking NOTHING is an issue. This is true if you have no specific medical issues relating to being pregnant and, as per standard recommendations, for the first 6 months. The final 3 months ease up.

unfortunately pregnancy weight gain hits so many women differently... ive seen countless instances where one comes to me with one issue and the next would have a completely opposite type situation going on etc... its just impossible to predict and one of those scenarios where you just have to play the cards you are dealt

Most doctors are ok if she is healthy and has already been working out. My wife had 4 kids and worked out basically until it is to uncomfortable

Top Bottom