napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx
roidvisorsteroidify
osgear

Clean Bulking Diet - Looking for advice or suggestions

MrChristian said:
Greetings all,

I'd like the advice of some of you experienced with diet and nutrition while trying to build size while keeping fat gain to a minimum. The last time I did a bulk I think I made a few mistakes and wound up putting on too much fat in the process. I've got my "cutting" diet and nutrition down to a science, but I'm still struggling with diet planning for a clean bulk. So I'm open to any advice you guys may have on this subject or the plan I've drawn up (below).

First, here is some general info about me and my goals.

BF: 12% ish
Weight: 178 lbs
Years weight training: 5
How often I train: Every day. 1 - 1.5 hours
Body type: Mesomorph primarily with some Ectomorph tendencies
Goals: Recomp mostly. I'd like to build additional size and definition. But I want to keep as lean and shredded as possible along the way. Not looking to be massive.

Mistakes I made last time I did a bulk
- Didn't reverse diet up to new calorie intake. Just jumped from 2000/day to 3400/day suddenly
- Ran my calories at 3400/day. I think this was probably too high
- Ate too many simple carbs. Lots of fruit.
- Started at 15% BF. This wasn't the best idea I ever had. LOL

The basic plan this time
- Reverse diet @ 100 cal per week increase until I get to 3000/day. Then start the bulk at that point.
- Run macros at 30% protein / 50% carbs / 20% fats
- Only eat simple carbs in morning and directly after workout. Otherwise use complex carbs.
- Eat 1.5g protein per lb of body weight
- No carbs after 7pm
- Bulk for about 2 months and then switch to cutting diet to shed any extra fat

The gory details

This is how much of a geek I am. And yes, I will eat the exact same thing every damn day without exception. People make fun of me. ;)

BulkDiet.JPG
Just curious, how does your cutting diet look like? Also the science aspect of it to!

CobraMuscle said:
MrChristian said:
Greetings all,

I'd like the advice of some of you experienced with diet and nutrition while trying to build size while keeping fat gain to a minimum. The last time I did a bulk I think I made a few mistakes and wound up putting on too much fat in the process. I've got my "cutting" diet and nutrition down to a science, but I'm still struggling with diet planning for a clean bulk. So I'm open to any advice you guys may have on this subject or the plan I've drawn up (below).

First, here is some general info about me and my goals.

BF: 12% ish
Weight: 178 lbs
Years weight training: 5
How often I train: Every day. 1 - 1.5 hours
Body type: Mesomorph primarily with some Ectomorph tendencies
Goals: Recomp mostly. I'd like to build additional size and definition. But I want to keep as lean and shredded as possible along the way. Not looking to be massive.

Mistakes I made last time I did a bulk
- Didn't reverse diet up to new calorie intake. Just jumped from 2000/day to 3400/day suddenly
- Ran my calories at 3400/day. I think this was probably too high
- Ate too many simple carbs. Lots of fruit.
- Started at 15% BF. This wasn't the best idea I ever had. LOL

The basic plan this time
- Reverse diet @ 100 cal per week increase until I get to 3000/day. Then start the bulk at that point.
- Run macros at 30% protein / 50% carbs / 20% fats
- Only eat simple carbs in morning and directly after workout. Otherwise use complex carbs.
- Eat 1.5g protein per lb of body weight
- No carbs after 7pm
- Bulk for about 2 months and then switch to cutting diet to shed any extra fat

The gory details

This is how much of a geek I am. And yes, I will eat the exact same thing every damn day without exception. People make fun of me. ;)

BulkDiet.JPG
Just curious, how does your cutting diet look like? Also the science aspect of it to!

I don't have that chart handy at the moment, but the food choices are similar to the above, just with fewer carbs and lower calories. Here's my basic approach...

For cutting I go with a 400 calorie deficit. To get this I figure out my daily maintenance calories (2400 cals) and then subtract 400. I have a desk job, so I really don't do too much all day that's "active" other than my workout and the occasional skateboard session during lunch.

(2400) - 400 = 2000 calories

Then I go with a macro ratio of 50% protein / 25% complex carbs / 25% healthy fats. I have found that these ratios work well for my body. I originally tried 40/35/25, but discovered that my fat loss stalled out. When I lowered the carbs to 25% I was able to break through the plateau. So it's about experimentation.

I also strive to keep my protein intake at 1.5g protein per lb of bodyweight each day. This helps protect my muscle gains while I'm cutting fat.

Lastly, I have a few rules which I abide by while cutting. I have found these to be critical to follow, especially while I'm trying to lose fat. But they're also good rules in general.

1) Drink a shit load of water. I drink at least 4 liters a day.
2) Don't drink alcohol. Seriously, this one is huge for me. If I want to burn fat, I can't drink.
3) Don't eat carbs for 3 hours before bed time.
4) Obviously avoid simple sugars, processed foods and soda like the plague.
5) Get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.

Top Bottom