napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

more over 40...over 50...over 60 questions

drb_iac

Over 40 or over 50...or even over 60!

Q. I am a 47-year-old bodybuilder and have been working out on and off since my teens. Are the older bodybuilder's protein requirements the same as for a younger bodybuilder? Or are they less than for younger bodybuilders due to the slower metabolism that comes with age?

A. I suggest musclebuilders of all stages and ages accentuate their protein intake to assure muscle development and tissue repair. The muscle you've achieved over the years and your spirited efforts to continue to grow strong depend on a plentiful supply of those amino acids.

Since the metabolism is not firing as well as it did as a kid, it follows that the system is not as efficient at absorbing and utilizing amino acids to satisfy our hopeful needs. The overall volume of food intake might require downward adjustment, but let's keep the protein high, with the nutrient-packed carbs and the good fats fortified with essential fatty acids. Get stronger every day.

Note: Protein is not toxic; you can't get too much and certain amino acids combine to provide energy.

Q. How can I begin exercising safely over age 40 without risking health and causing unnecessary strain?
Many of us have made New Years resolutions. Can we keep these resolutions?

A. The best way is to be a kid again... with an adult brain. Revive your curiosity, playful spirit and willingness to jump in without painful self-consciousness and binding pride. Have fun and trust in your efforts. This doesn't mean make a fool of yourself or charge forward with unbridled eagerness. It means to use your energy, enthusiasm, heart and commonsense.

There are different ways to begin your over-40 training program. You can powerwalk around your neighborhood. As you're able, go longer distances, hills and even adding jogging to your walking regimen.

Learn and practice simple rules of smart eating behaviors and consider future training plans that include resistance exercise.

Join a gym, hire a knowledgeable personal trainer for three basic sessions and apply the teaching regularly. Continue your wise investment, knowing time and consistency will certainly carry you to your fitness goals.

Training and eating right are not rocket sciences. Instincts, sound thinking and simple observation will guide you along the way. Safe and wise steps will unfold. Eventually, you'll know yourself and your limits and will have the means to surpass them.

Risk and strain and the over-40 mentality will evaporate like steam from an old kettle on a potbelly stove.

Q. What is the most important muscle group to work after 40? I think it may be the legs since that is what hurts me the most.

A. You don't want to neglect any muscle group, although it's true that legs get us from place to place and contribute to our independence.

Something else: A decent leg workout provides systemic benefits. Due to the mass of the muscles under load and the vast amount of blood moved through the system, comprehensive enzyme and hormone activity takes place and the entire muscular system is urged to respond, to grow accordingly.

Bingo. Leg training hits the jackpot.

Throw in some supersets of chins and dips, dumbbell inclines and seated lat rows, bench presses and lat pulldowns to keep a grin on your face.

Q. Reducing bodyfat, losing lower abdomen fat and maintaining lean mass while cutting: How do I do it? I need single-figure bodyfat percentage to show off my abs.

A. Have you tried chanting to Zeus....lol?

This small miracle requires lots of time, patience, courage and perseverance, mixed generously with leg raises, rope tucks, planks, hyperextensions and a tad of cardio exercise. Of course, the perfect application of basic musclebuilding movements from squats and deadlifts to barbell curls and dumbbell inclines are a must.

Don't forget to combine volume- and power-training. There'll be no turning back, letting up or laying off... ever.

Now, about your eating habits and nutritional plan: start with slabs of protein, smaller meals frequently throughout the day... mmm...why don't you have a seat, sit back and relax... it might be the last chance you get.

Q. Can you get rid of cellulite on the arms and body by doing aerobic activity every day and lifting weights? Right now it seems like the more I work out, the more ‘baggy” my arms are getting, yet I know I am getting stronger. Does this stuff really go away if one works hard and long enough on a daily basis?

A. Let's just say that no other plan of attack will work better... or at all.

You face a monumental problem if the loose skin on the back of your arms becomes your only focus and reference for achievement. Your regular smart training and right eating will continue to improve your health day by day. Be confident of this.

Building muscle is our most important exercise achievement. Train to build muscle, and fat burning will follow. Sometimes training intensity has to be increased if we want to see more impressive improvements take place. Where moderate exercise is healthy, it might not be enough to affect the changes you seek.

You might consider increasing your set-to-set pace or the amount of weight you use in each exercise or the level of input in each set and rep. Supersetting exercises is a most effective training method for muscle building and fat burning. Try HIIT-style aerobic training (High Intensity Interval Training) for more dynamic fat burning and cardio health.

Guys who are older, who have been sedentary, have not eaten right....listen up. There is always time in life for change. If all you can do for starts is to walk for 10 minutes then you have begun the long program of getting your vigor back.
Before you start anything go see your doc and tell him your plans and get some bloodwork done. Get your test levels and your estradiol levels tested. You may need a little test to keep you poppin.

Nice Q&A thread that a lot of the older folks can benefit from. Thanks for sharing Drb!

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Top Bottom