napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Keto diet for bodybuilding.... not sure if I'm doing the right thing

Scott Weiland

Hey Everyone,

I wan't to pose a question out there because I am getting more educated day by day and I'm starting to question myself. I'll give you the back drop to the story [if you wan't to skip this - go right to the second paragraph]. I have an endomorphic body type (so bulking is not my goal). I'm 42yrs, 5'11 on TRT: Test-C 200mg per week (with 1mg of Arimidex split in half twice a week to keep the E2 in control) I have 20+ BF. I know the 20(+) is high and I'm actually too embarrassed to say what it actually is. Have mercy bro(s) I've been through some shit in life, in the last couple years and I'm coming out into the light. I'm hitting the gym 4~5 days a week weights+cardio for 2hrs a day. My mission is to decimate body fat with extreme prejudice, to get back to some form of the man I used to be. I also know being on TRT with those BF numbers is not ideal. But understand the TRT isn't just for aesthetics. With T at 285 I felt like the walking dead for the last 2yrs due to being undiagnosed by my incompetent general practitioner doctor. He actually had the numbers (when I went back to look at my historical chart) for 2yrs and didn't tell me this was low. I mean when I was 20/30-something I didn't even need to know about this stuff (simply meaning I had energy, muscles were hard, eating plant based diet with lots of cardio to balance the endomorph; everything was firing on all cylinders). Fortunately I've been training since I was 16 and I know the difference between what I was and what I am now; and was intuitive enough to do my own research and challenge my doctor. My body reacted well to the T. After 4 weeks I was at 900 but my E2 was at 100 (hence the Armidex), and daaammmn did I need that Arimidex. I felt like a stuffed sausage walking around holding a shit-ton of water weight. So we got that all worked out. The thing is that I also have pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome. Thats another thing my incompetent-fuck of a doctor didn't define for me. He just said loose some weight and the bad numbers will come down and your T will go up.. Dumb MF.. its almost impossible to break the cycle of metabolic syndrome to get you reversed into the right direction once you have it, and I mean I cleaned up my diet. Obviously tossed out the junk food & alcohol started eating a shit-ton of cruciferous vegetables, etc.... but nothing. The TRT has helped. I'm in the process of recomping and I'm running SR 9009 + Cardarine stack to help with the metabolic syndrome. So on to the main question:

I'm wondering if a Keto diet is the right thing for bodybuilding and/or my situation (endomorphic body type with pre-diabetes/metabolic syndrome). Typically I would have thought a Keto diet would be good for getting rid of metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes.

The rules of it seem in line: no sugar | 20grams of carbs a day | more protein (not toooo much.. I learned that) | high fat.

I think the first two rules seem in line with my goals and situation but its hard as hell to find foods that are high in fat. Yeah.. I know avocados, nuts, good oils, etc. But the thing is I also question is high fat really good for your heart and liver? Here is the other thing, after 2 weeks on keto the scale barely moved. I think I was so carb deprived that after two weeks my body is resisting. So I said fuck it.. I gave myself a cheat day what do you know I lost 2lbs. Its just fuckin strange. Also know with an Endomorphic body type your weight could swing 2~3lbs every day its just the way it goes. Could be water weight, could be fat, could be a full fuckin moon that does it.. I don't know, its strange but those are the conditions of an Endomorph type.

I just question if I'm really doing the right thing with my diet altogether (even given my situation). Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Well bro, It's good that you are trying to do the right thing and get yourself into better shape. I personally am not a big fan of keto for those that resistance train and bodybuilding. I like to see a good macro ratio of high protein, moderate carbs, and low fats at a set defecit to burn and lose fat and do it HEALTHY. I tried keto once. Felt like shit on it, couldn't perform in the gym, was flat, couldn't get a pump, and my fat loss was not as good as traditional dieting in a defecit. There are rare instances where some are so carb sensitive that keto dieting is really their only effective option, but most do not need keto, and I personally don't think it's the best option

Well bro, It's good that you are trying to do the right thing and get yourself into better shape. I personally am not a big fan of keto for those that resistance train and bodybuilding. I like to see a good macro ratio of high protein, moderate carbs, and low fats at a set defecit to burn and lose fat and do it HEALTHY. I tried keto once. Felt like shit on it, couldn't perform in the gym, was flat, couldn't get a pump, and my fat loss was not as good as traditional dieting in a defecit. There are rare instances where some are so carb sensitive that keto dieting is really their only effective option, but most do not need keto, and I personally don't think it's the best option
I have to say keto diet has been working awesome for me. I'm full of energy my work outs at the gym are intense. what I've been doing is keeping my protein intake at the same grams as I weigh 1 gram per pound and only keeping my carbs at 5% which is 25g of carbs. I dont care about calories any more. I just dont eat the carbs. I am in full ketosis. Check my urine everytime a piss. For me thus has been the miracle diet plan. I am doing 400mg of cyp a week and 100mg eod of NPP. LOVIN IT!!! I am down almost 7% bf since feb 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I agree with everything you said brother! I would even consider myself somewhat carb sensitive but the best results that I've had physique wise are with a high protein moderate carbohydrate diet. With moderate carbohydrates I've lost more body fat than being on Keto. Dave palumbo has a variation of the Keto diet where your meals with carbohydrates bookend your workout. I personally believe that a sustainable diet is what will yield the best results and Keto is not what I will consider sustainable. Just my 2 cents bro.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, Rick

PS: I don't mean to sound all aggro on my general practitioner Dr. (even though thats how I wrote it). Don't get me wrong I am pissed him for not thoroughly explaining my situations and most importantly not factoring in I'm 42 (not like I'm in my 20s or 30s). But I think somethings gotta change here. From what I'm doing to turn around everything else, I think this is now the missing link to put it all together.

Anyone else - opinions?

I have to say keto diet has been working awesome for me. I'm full of energy my work outs at the gym are intense. what I've been doing is keeping my protein intake at the same grams as I weigh 1 gram per pound and only keeping my carbs at 5% which is 25g of carbs. I dont care about calories any more. I just dont eat the carbs. I am in full ketosis. Check my urine everytime a piss. For me thus has been the miracle diet plan. I am doing 400mg of cyp a week and 100mg eod of NPP. LOVIN IT!!! I am down almost 7% bf since feb 3rd.

Hey Brother I've been looking at a keto diet and carb cycling and a few other ways of dieting for my wife. Unfortunately she's not like me and can't eat 650 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein, and 80 grams of fat a day. Lol..

Anyway the diet you're doing that has your body weight in protein, and 5% carbohydrates. What is your fat like on this diet? Would you recommend this for a woman in her mid-30s?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey Brother I've been looking at a keto diet and carb cycling and a few other ways of dieting for my wife. Unfortunately she's not like me and can't eat 650 grams of carbs, 200 grams of protein, and 80 grams of fat a day. Lol..

Anyway the diet you're doing that has your body weight in protein, and 5% carbohydrates. What is your fat like on this diet? Would you recommend this for a woman in her mid-30s?

I am No expert. I just studied it and even still today just read up on it. It works for some people and not for others. But fat wise maybe 140 G but that's from butter bacon avocados olive oil MCT oil coconut oil things that are extremely good for you and healthy read up on keto diet and also look at the bulletproof diet. And when you start reading you learn about foods that are bad for you and you should never eat. I mean how can you not love a diet where you can eat eggs and bacon and butter and avocados

Here are my goals daily.
8a0d0b64788585babb0784da013c27fd.jpg

Here are my goals daily.
8a0d0b64788585babb0784da013c27fd.jpg

Thanks brother I appreciate you getting back to me. I know a lot about nutrition and my wife degree is a nutrition so I guess I could say I'm one step ahead of most people, but still have a lot to learn.

I would never have guessed that you're fat would be 140 grams. I'm going to do what you said and do some reading into it and see what I can come up with. Especially the bulletproof diet I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

Thanks again for getting back to me brother I appreciate that.

Thanks brother I appreciate you getting back to me. I know a lot about nutrition and my wife degree is a nutrition so I guess I could say I'm one step ahead of most people, but still have a lot to learn.

I would never have guessed that you're fat would be 140 grams. I'm going to do what you said and do some reading into it and see what I can come up with. Especially the bulletproof diet I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting.

Thanks again for getting back to me brother I appreciate that.

Once u cut carbs out of your life. The body has to switch to using the stores fat for energy. It make 100 percent sence. Hardest part os the first 2 weeks. Most people give up. Its fuckin hard. I think carbs and sugar are gross now. All in the head.

Thanks, Rick

PS: I don't mean to sound all aggro on my general practitioner Dr. (even though thats how I wrote it). Don't get me wrong I am pissed him for not thoroughly explaining my situations and most importantly not factoring in I'm 42 (not like I'm in my 20s or 30s). But I think somethings gotta change here. From what I'm doing to turn around everything else, I think this is now the missing link to put it all together.

Anyone else - opinions?

I feel you bro. I'm 43, and will be 44 in a couple months. My metabolism isn't what it used to be, but I do very well maintaining a pretty damn lean physique and have figured out what works for me. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll do the same. Keto works great for some but not so much for others. It's not for me. I've found that out. If you get a chance, check out my diet and nutrition thread sticky near the top of the forum page called diet and nutrition 101. It probably has a few good pointers that can help out.

Last edited:
I feel you bro. I'm 43, and will be 44 in a couple months. My metabolism isn't what it used to be, but I do very well maintaining a pretty damn lean physique and have figured out what works for me. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll do the same. Keto works great for some but not so much for others. It's not for me. I've found that out. If you get a chance, check out my diet and nutrition thread sticky near the top of the forum page called diet and nutrition 101. It probably has a few good pointers that can help out.
Yes it does. The more u know nutrition the better.

just remember that EVERYONE is different on how their body responds, etc.. just because one person loves a diet and one hates it, YOU have to see and decide what works for you... im not a fan of the keto diet but i dont bash it either because it works for people while others it doesnt... just like intermittent fasting... i dont like it per say because its not something i can follow but i stand by it for the results it provides and often recommend it... thats called being unbias and knowing the facts... but the main point is that YOU have to find what works best for YOU...

Top Bottom