napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Just won my first BB competition!

Great work congrats, just shows how much of a change is possible if you really put everything together right. well done and at 53 to boot!

I’m sure it’s not healthy long term. I definitely could not or would not want to stay that depleted. It doesn’t feel good. Im already back up to a healthy 6% and will probably get up to 8 or 9% before I start depleting again for my next competition. My trainer/nutritionist checked my bf weekly, and he’s been doing this for many years, with a digital caliper. Probably not exact, but pretty close. I was at around 7.5% at the time of that “after” pic. There was a huge difference between that and when I got down to 4%.

Digital calipers, manual calipers and those handle things are all fairly inaccurate. Dexascan is the most accurate but in all honesty it really doesn’t matter your body fat. If you look good you look good! You looked great bro. Can’t wait to see your next show!

Digital calipers, manual calipers and those handle things are all fairly inaccurate. Dexascan is the most accurate but in all honesty it really doesn’t matter your body fat. If you look good you look good! You looked great bro. Can’t wait to see your next show!
This is the truth right here. I doubt you were 4%, but it regardless it doesn't matter. You never want to get wrapped up in the numbers game with weight, bodyfat percentage, etc

A judge will never weigh you or see what calipers read, but they will know how you looked

This is the truth right here. I doubt you were 4%, but it regardless it doesn't matter. You never want to get wrapped up in the numbers game with weight, bodyfat percentage, etc

A judge will never weigh you or see what calipers read, but they will know how you looked

Very true!! A good gauge is when your glutes are striated. If you have totally shredded glutes you are very very low. Dorian Yates used to talk about being so low in bodyfat that the pads of fat on his feet were diminishing and his feet aches from walking

Pretty much sums it up right there!

I just turned 55 myself, and was wondering if you could share a bit about your routine, diet etc, as there is not a lot of info out there for people 50+. The general presumption is that once you hit the 45-50 mark you should be thinking about retirement, walking your dog, and other stuff rather than working out because you will not grow muscle, destroy your knees, or kidneys etc. :) Some doctors would even tell this to people. In any event, I am just wondering what your daily protein and carbs was in average. Do you eat 5 small meals a day? How about your recovery times and workout splits? Thanks in advance buddy and congratulations. Pete

Whatever the figure actually was - and who cares anyway - when were you that lean before bro?

Like, never! Lol! I’ve always stayed on the “thin” side and probably fluctuated between 12 to 16% bf. Some people buy corvettes and date 20 year old girls during their midlife crisis, I decided to compete in a BB competition. Ha! The process took me about 8 months.

Like, never! Lol! I’ve always stayed on the “thin” side and probably fluctuated between 12 to 16% bf. Some people buy corvettes and date 20 year old girls during their midlife crisis, I decided to compete in a BB competition. Ha! The process took me about 8 months.

Thought that might be the case so that makes the end result even more impressive imo.

Thanks Pete. The first, and probably most important thing I did, was hire a nutritionist with bb experience. He got me dialed in on my macros that started out with roughly 250g protein, 230g carbs and 50g healthy fats divided into 5 meals a day. Throughout the process, we slowly cut carbs down to 125g per day and that seemed to work well for me. Fortunately, I still have a pretty high metabolism and only had to do a few days of cardio a week at an average of 12 to 20 mins a day, 3 to 5 days a week. I’ve been lifting for several years, but hired a trainer who is a current bb with a great resume. I worked out with him one day a week and 5 on my own. We changed up my work out routine about every 4 to 6 weeks. That was key, as we constantly kept my muscles guessing. I lifted 6 days a week, one muscle a day, chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I made sure to work harder on the muscles I lacked. As I get older, the only thing I do different is that I spend a lot more time starting out with small weight, several reps, to get the muscles and joints lubricated. I learned the hard way one day when I was pressed for time and jumped on some dead lifts. I could probably do that when I was 21, but now I have to spend more time warming up. Lot of stretching after each work out as well. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks Pete. The first, and probably most important thing I did, was hire a nutritionist with bb experience. He got me dialed in on my macros that started out with roughly 250g protein, 230g carbs and 50g healthy fats divided into 5 meals a day. Throughout the process, we slowly cut carbs down to 125g per day and that seemed to work well for me. Fortunately, I still have a pretty high metabolism and only had to do a few days of cardio a week at an average of 12 to 20 mins a day, 3 to 5 days a week. I’ve been lifting for several years, but hired a trainer who is a current bb with a great resume. I worked out with him one day a week and 5 on my own. We changed up my work out routine about every 4 to 6 weeks. That was key, as we constantly kept my muscles guessing. I lifted 6 days a week, one muscle a day, chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs. I made sure to work harder on the muscles I lacked. As I get older, the only thing I do different is that I spend a lot more time starting out with small weight, several reps, to get the muscles and joints lubricated. I learned the hard way one day when I was pressed for time and jumped on some dead lifts. I could probably do that when I was 21, but now I have to spend more time warming up. Lot of stretching after each work out as well. Hope that helps!

Thanks for sharing jbravo. Great advice.

Yeah thanks for sharing man, took all you said in account for changing things up in my routine, especially the cardio.

Top Bottom