napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Determining Maintenance Calories

axmelt

What is your guys advice on calculating your maintenance or on even utilizing one when your bulking. I've used various calculators online plus my own Fitbit data in attempts to determine it averagely. But I can't seem to figure it out. Especially when trying to factor in hockey practice and how much calories are burned during hockey and a hard weightlifting session in the gym. In the other hand, I've heard people say don't even use a maintenance when your bulking and just eat healthy and get your pre and post workout nutrition down right. So what is your guys advice on that? I'm 5 foot 11 inches, around 180-181 pounds, lean and active.

If I had to guess your maintenance is probably in the ball park of 2700-2800cal. In my experience, those calculators grossly over estimate my maintenance. I would pick a rough figure, track your food intake for a few weeks then adjust accordingly.

If I had to guess your maintenance is probably in the ball park of 2700-2800cal. In my experience, those calculators grossly over estimate my maintenance. I would pick a rough figure, track your food intake for a few weeks then adjust accordingly.

So would I add calories burned during a lift or during hockey to that 2700-2800 calories then?

So would I add calories burned during a lift or during hockey to that 2700-2800 calories then?

Ya, read Ricks Thread on nutrition. Hard to say, a lot of factors and variables from person to person. You are just going to have to experiment and play with it until you learn your own body. I would just start at 2800cal, do that for a few weeks then adjust.

Eat normally for a week and track your food and weight. Weigh yourself first thing in the AM each morning. Adjust calories up or down as weight fluctuates. Weight can fluctuate day to day so i think it's best to take a weekly average or simply weigh in once a week.

Check out RickRocks sticky - Thread: Diet and Nutrition basics 101

There is all the diet info you need. - https://www.isarms.com/forums/steroids-sarms-information/diet-nutrition-basics-101-a-3314.html

Both my nutrition sticky, and the maintenance calculators dylan posted should be all the info you need

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Thoughts on carb cycling during a bulk?

And approximately how much calories are burned during an extended period of lifting while your heart rate isn't necessarily extremely high but muscle breakdown and protein synthesis is?

I'm an old fuck so my metabolism is probably shower than you young studs
But I've found when using the above calculators...my true maintenance calories are what shows up WITHOUT adding in any exercise....

In other words..even though I lift my ass off 6 days a week and do a ton of cardio...something just above calculated basal rate is what I'm actually burning
I'm 5'10" 185# under 10% BF....my actual maintenance is 1900-2000 calories a day

Top Bottom