napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Aging lifter with knee pain and diagnosed arthritis. Now what for legs ?

Bro just take time off about 3-4 months for the cortisol to leave your system then start really light and week after week increase weight really slowly until you reach a comfortable weight in which you can still train and make gains.
The doctor told me the same bullshit gave me the same cortizone shot that ended up hurting way more than helping in the long run. The doctor told me to stop training completely i actually listened for a while i lost a lot of muscle and strength now i am back in the gym and refuse to stop. Im younger than you but with the same issues. i have shitty genetics pretty much born with early onset arthritis that started in childhood.

I would invest in some good knee braces (some velcro ones for like $20 should be fine, dont get the ones in the $100- $500 range they suck for arthritis).

I wouldnt wear any braces while training legs as you can cause further damage to the knee joint especially if they are the type to compress the patella. Cortisone lowers inflamation which can make it difficult to gain muscle as well as to gauge and pain or damage you could be doing and not realising it.

[Use the name SdBronco for 10% off your order]

[email protected]
[email protected]

Bro just take time off about 3-4 months for the cortisol to leave your system then start really light and week after week increase weight really slowly until you reach a comfortable weight in which you can still train and make gains.
The doctor told me the same bullshit gave me the same cortizone shot that ended up hurting way more than helping in the long run. The doctor told me to stop training completely i actually listened for a while i lost a lot of muscle and strength now i am back in the gym and refuse to stop. Im younger than you but with the same issues. i have shitty genetics pretty much born with early onset arthritis that started in childhood.

I would invest in some good knee braces (some velcro ones for like $20 should be fine, dont get the ones in the $100- $500 range they suck for arthritis).

I wouldnt wear any braces while training legs as you can cause further damage to the knee joint especially if they are the type to compress the patella. Cortisone lowers inflamation which can make it difficult to gain muscle as well as to gauge and pain or damage you could be doing and not realising it.

[email protected]
[email protected]

With the utmost respect I disagree! The last thing you need is for the muscle groups supporting your skeletal system to be weakened or atrophy! I think you need to take a little break and definetly go lighter but your main focus should be on blood flow, increasing ROM, strengthen weaker muscle groups that support the function of the knee joint as well as the bigger muscle groups! You need to take a therapeutic approach to training for a good month then those exercise will become a part of your warm up before big exercises. In my humble opinion the last thing you need is atrophy!!!

Vinni,
My knees are junk too.. so I know the feeling. to work my legs out and not have it bother my knees I swim with flippers and only use my legs and get a great work out in. you can lay own your back or use a kick board with your arms out infront of you... it better then nothing and my legs look great....

Well I've basically already taken time off. I'll just be constantly adjusting my movements and rep range and weight to find what works best.
Small ain't an option !!!! Haha thank you lord !

Appreciate all the input. And much respect for all here. As we speak I'm doing box squats for reps in the basement. Didn't feel like driving to gym.
Prob stop at 275 X 10. Give it a day or 2 and see how the feels. Bottom line is I truly enjoy doing squats and leg training.
So I WILL FIGURE A WAY TO KEEP DOING THEM.
Just another challenge to overcome. 44 - I'll try the standing leg curls. Thx bone on bone sucks for sure !

Fuckit, they'll grind down to shape lol.

Low weight high reps. tons of volume. should be able to maintain some decent size like that without wrecking your knees further

With the utmost respect I disagree! The last thing you need is for the muscle groups supporting your skeletal system to be weakened or atrophy! I think you need to take a little break and definetly go lighter but your main focus should be on blood flow, increasing ROM, strengthen weaker muscle groups that support the function of the knee joint as well as the bigger muscle groups! You need to take a therapeutic approach to training for a good month then those exercise will become a part of your warm up before big exercises. In my humble opinion the last thing you need is atrophy!!!

Bro he is on cortizone which is an extremely effective anti-inflammatory. It will be very difficult for him to strengthen his connective tissues with a long lasting drug turning off inflamation in the body let alone build muscle. When inflamation is being "turned off" so to speak as with most anti-inflammatory medications muscle growth and strength will also be a very diffucult thing to accomplish in an already injured person. Atrophy is almost bound to happen without being able to lift as heavy as he could before but to each his own.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Sad Day guys! I've been dealing with knee pain for months. Finally got it xray'd. Dr says its mild to moderate arthritis. Cortisone shot made it feel much better.
So now I'm pretty sure my powerlifting competing days are over but I still love to train legs. Squat and DL.
I'm 48 this year and really need advice here.
Anyone else in my situation ? Dr. Said keep working on range of motion exercises but the heavy squats are out unless I want knee replacement before I'm 55.
YES! First, do not think you have to settle for arthritis!! Am older than you and have been hit by two cars and nearly broken everywhere. First, start talking Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement witb MSM (Methyl Sulfo Methane) It will help in arthritis pain by adding essential minerals to you joints and into the synovial fluid. Next Lysine, about 1000mg a day! This is good for connective tissue support and repair. Add one tablespoon daily of Omega 3 fish oil fatty acid.

Now this is not going to be a miracvle cure, and it is going to take up to 2 weeks to see any desired Result. Onset of these taken daily will begin at 5 to 7 days, and peak in 10 to 14 and if you remain consistent? It will be effective and you notice difference! Can you go back power lifting what you did ealier? With no pain? I can not say, but in general you will feel better!

Last edited:
Hey Dorin, thanks Buddy. I should have mentioned before my list of vitamins and supps. I've been on fish oil and the glucos/condroitin on and off for years. And recently added move free/ Cologin. I have found that consistent use does help.
I also recently tried Turmeric Currcmin. Didnt really notice a difference on that. But I will add the lysine as you suggest.

Nice! If you can find this next one (rare) try Humulene! It is a natural Terpinoid pil known for reducing inflammations. If you can not find in gel caps, then get some REAL beer! Not one of national brands but Checvăr, Stella Artois, Timisoaran, etc! Why REAL beer you say? Because real beer is loaded with Humulene, which is where Ibuprofen is made from! 180 ml max, about 6 ounce. And do not worry about the alcohol (here comes flame war! Lol!) but alcohol in real beer with help rush Humulene into synovial fluid of your joints, privide a soft lubrication and reduce the inflamatiom cause by arthritis!!! Just keep consuming it low amount and it should not affect workouts of yours negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and Vinni, am EMS Certified LNA/LMA, LPN-NT and student RN of orthopaedic medicine. PM me if I can help and I do my best. Am NOT a doctor and admit Am FAR from knowing all of it. Lol but I do what I can!

Oh and Vinni, am EMS Certified LNA/LMA, LPN-NT and student RN of orthopaedic medicine. PM me if I can help and I do my best. Am NOT a doctor and admit Am FAR from knowing all of it. Lol but I do what I can!

Big Thanks ! Will be in touch.

68bf9891e07497ecd58698925b78055e.jpg

Nice! If you can find this next one (rare) try Humulene! It is a natural Terpinoid pil known for reducing inflammations. If you can not find in gel caps, then get some REAL beer! Not one of national brands but Checvăr, Stella Artois, Timisoaran, etc! Why REAL beer you say? Because real beer is loaded with Humulene, which is where Ibuprofen is made from! 180 ml max, about 6 ounce. And do not worry about the alcohol (here comes flame war! Lol!) but alcohol in real beer with help rush Humulene into synovial fluid of your joints, privide a soft lubrication and reduce the inflamatiom cause by arthritis!!! Just keep consuming it low amount and it should not affect workouts of yours negatively.

Wow this is awesome information. Thanks dorin.

[email protected]
[email protected]

Top Bottom