napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Time-frame for adding carbs and protein after workout

MtechBear

I read an article on facebook from muscle and fitness,which stated one should wait an hour after workout before feeding muscles carbs and protein,it had to with insulin and something,dont remember but will post it if i can find it again. It also said that feeding muscles right after the workout is a misconception and have been for a while according to this article. I have always downed my shake right after the workout,but will try now and wait an hour to do so. What do you think people?

I found the content in the mentioned article on another site.
"Consuming the drink immediately following the workout will elicit the greatest protein synthesis:

It's amazing to see how more advanced, and often experienced, people behave in the gym when it comes to getting their post workout meal. Some guys even sit there, right after their last set, and slug back a drink! In fact I've even heard "as soon as the weight hits the floor" touted as the war cry for the hardcore. While this is actually a sub-optimal practice for muscle growth and recovery, not to mention borderline obsessive compulsive, it's good to see their heart is the right place.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I buy that. For fat loss yes it's not good to consume anything immediately post workout but for anabolism I think within the hour is still optimal but not essential. Maybe solid food isn't optimal right after but some nutrition I believe is ideal right after. I could be wrong but nitrogen is definitely improved when I consume things immediately after. That much is clear to me

Phurious Pharma Rep
[email protected]

I'm not so sure I buy that. For fat loss yes it's not good to consume anything immediately post workout but for anabolism I think within the hour is still optimal but not essential. Maybe solid food isn't optimal right after but some nutrition I believe is ideal right after. I could be wrong but nitrogen is definitely improved when I consume things immediately after. That much is clear to me

Phurious Pharma Rep
[email protected]
I see, within the hour anyway would be ok then. thanks jack.

A lot of people overthink this whole nutrient timing thing. It's really not that big of a deal. Just do what works easiest for you. Immediately post workout or an hour later....in the grand scope of things it doesn't matter

I did intermittent fasting for 3 years and my post workout meal wasn't until 4 hours after my workout. I only had bcaa up until then. It certainly didn't hurt my muscle gain one bit doing that

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

i would not wait an hour whatsoever... there's a certain window of time right after your workout that is tried and true to get the most growth.. this is just one of those instances where someone is trying as hard as they can to find a differing opinion or conclusion to try to compete with real fact... i would be in the 15-30 minute window of protein and/or carb/sugar consumption

maybe just stick to what i always have done then,feed right after last set. thanks rickrock and gemelli.

maybe just stick to what i always have done then,feed right after last set. thanks rickrock and gemelli.

yes, definitely... dont read too deep into things or all you get is mixed info and end up doing something wrong... that's the tried and true method... definitely stick with it

Ya no more than 30 min after. Thats when protein synthesis is at its peak. Otherwise ur just wasting it. Just like people who drink a protein shake in the am or before bed its doing absolutly nothing. Food timing is an art form that many need to learn and woukd see much more consistant results.

PHURIOUS

Top Bottom