napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Stitches and Training

RoboGainz

Been awhile since ive been on here,

Had a bad accident with a glass mirror that cut me down my arm just below my tricep that needed 11 stitches. So far ive been out of the gym completely besides a couple minor cardio days. No tendons or muscles were hit just skin fortunately enough. The doc said take the stitches out around 10 days, so far im at day 12 of recovery and will probably pull the stitches in a day or two. Overall im just curious if anyone has had any experience or medical advice on how long until i can start hitting the weights hard again? My understanding is that at 10 days they arent worried about the wound opening up again, however physically looking i would not feel comfortable lifting yet. It appears i am recovering well though and am thinking maybe 2-3 weeks until i should be cleared to lift. I will not be going back to the hospital to get my stitches out since my girlfriend is a nurse, and again they never gave me word nor did i ask this question when getting stitched up at the time. Anyone have any general thoughts or general experience regarding this matter?

And to add, i can lift many things up to id say 30 pounds in my hand without any issue currently or pain

It really comes down to is the wound fully healed and as you stated how much pain/discomfort you have.

I had stitches in my hand. I was able to work out almost immediately after they came out after 2 weeks. If its a deeper wound it may take more time but if its mainly surface just go with your gut if the wound starts opening up or its dreadfully painful stop. Just make sure if you go to a public gym or get a ton of sweat in it to use dial anti-bacterial soap or something similar to keep it 100% clean if it isnt fully healed and scabbed over.

I broke my collar bone, had surgery, and I was back in the gym in 8 weeks. That's on the extreme side of things but it depends on how bad the wound was. I would probably wait at least a couple of weeks.

It really comes down to is the wound fully healed and as you stated how much pain/discomfort you have.

I had stitches in my hand. I was able to work out almost immediately after they came out after 2 weeks. If its a deeper wound it may take more time but if its mainly surface just go with your gut if the wound starts opening up or its dreadfully painful stop. Just make sure if you go to a public gym or get a ton of sweat in it to use dial anti-bacterial soap or something similar to keep it 100% clean if it isnt fully healed and scabbed over.

The blood is dried up around it, i have pretty good mobility now just cannot bend my elbow fully yet. Hard to tell if the wound is fully sealed or not

I broke my collar bone, had surgery, and I was back in the gym in 8 weeks. That's on the extreme side of things but it depends on how bad the wound was. I would probably wait at least a couple of weeks.

I was thinking safely 3 weeks would be good. I did not need surgery thankfully

The blood is dried up around it, i have pretty good mobility now just cannot bend my elbow fully yet. Hard to tell if the wound is fully sealed or not

Yea then id wait a few weeks.

No sense in opening it up again and dealing with more stitches.

So even if you cant bend you elbow all the way can you still do say a pull up or push up and just stop prior to where it really starts pulling?

My advice is to just take it slow and in your comfort zone. Muscle memory will kick in and you will gain everything back. Just be patient. Super glad to hear you had no damage to tendons or anything though.

Day 13 (sorry not trying to gross anyone out). I probably need to get them out within the next day or two but questioning if they are ready. I know the hospital could give me a better response but im not going back due to extra cost and probably waiting 4 hours just to be looked at.

IMG_8919.jpg

That middle spot on the left looks like its still not fully healed id leave them in personally.

I'd definitely wait a while longer

So i just bit the bullet, called my aunt who is a PA and sent her the pics she told me i needed to go back to the hospital so i decided to go back a couple hours ago. The PA demanded the stitches needed to come out otherwise i would risk them staying in my skin for ever and having skin grow over it or have an infection. Pain free to remove them. He said sometime in the next 10 days the scab should fall off which means my skin is sealed and i should be cleared to lift. Thanks for chiming in guys

Top Bottom