napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Mercury in fish

drb_iac

Mercury toxicity

Nearly all fish contain trace amounts of methyl mercury, some more than others. In areas where there is industrial mercury pollution, mercury levels in the fish can be quite elevated. In general, however, methyl mercury levels for most fish are very low. However, certain species of very large tuna, typically sold as fresh steaks or sushi, can contain methyl mercury levels in excess of the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA’s) 1 part per million (ppm) limit. Canned tuna, composed of smaller species of tuna such as skipjack and albacore, has much lower levels of methyl mercury, averaging only about 0.17 ppm.
“Experts theorize that albacore, because it is a short-lived species, would tend to have less mercury than bigger, longer-lived tuna such as Blue-fin or Big-eye Tuna. And, by the same theory, the younger and smaller the albacore, the better. For the tuna fan, perhaps the best approach is to buy quality, not quantity, a strategy that the current canned tuna wave encourages.” San Francisco Chronicle, Wednesday, August 21, 2002
Salmon and Albacore Results
We sent can samples of both Gourmet Albacore Fillets and Wild King Chinook Salmon to The National Food Laboratory, Inc. in August, 2012. The salmon samples came back with results of less than one half of one tenth part per million (ppm). The Albacore samples returned results were of less than one third of one part per million (very trace amounts). This translates into negligible amounts –nearly non-detectable. These results are so far below the FDA’s 1 part per million limit, that it would take many cans consumed at one time to amount to this limit.
SPECIES
MEAN (PPM)
RANGE (PPM)
NO. OF SAMPLES
Gourmet Albacore
ND-000.031
Gourmet Wild King Salmon
ND-000.018

FDA Information
The FDA has detailed information on Mercury levels in all different types of fish and seafood.
U. S. Food and Drug Administration
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
Office of Seafood
May 2012

*Fish and shellfish among the most consumed of the domestic seafood market
Sources of methyl mercury data:
FDA database FY 85-99
EPA Mercury Study Report to Congress, 2007
A Survey of the Occurrence of Mercury in the Fishery Resources of the Gulf of Mexico Report (2007)

The final outcome is that canned tuna has no more mercury than any other fresh,frozen or canned seafood.For the most part canned tuna has way less mercury than most fresh tuna .

Great article. I personally don't count undetectable amounts as harmless of course. But hey if you want to eat fish it's impossible to avoid completely unless you somehow raise your own lol which is basically impossible. If you get vaccinated however then Mercury via fish consumption should be the least of one's worries. The damn government now tries to push Mercury as somehow beneficial. Smh

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]

thanks for posting brother... this clears a lot of things up for many who re just under the assumption, generally with no facts, that tuna is filled with mercury, when in fact it is not... its just one of those misconceptions like test prop is so good at cutting but long estered test is not etc... same bull shit where someone hears it and just believes it

Great article. I personally don't count undetectable amounts as harmless of course. But hey if you want to eat fish it's impossible to avoid completely unless you somehow raise your own lol which is basically impossible. If you get vaccinated however then Mercury via fish consumption should be the least of one's worries. The damn government now tries to push Mercury as somehow beneficial. Smh

Phurious Pharma Rep
Email me at [email protected]

Never knew the gov't was pushing anything about mercury being beneficial, but I guess I wouldn't be shocked, companies can lobby for anything these days. Only beneficial thing I knew of mercury was for some rare brain afflications, and even those reports were questionable.

Top Bottom