napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Intermittent fasting facts and fiction explained: by RickRock

I see it mentioned all the time for cutting but what about bulking? In theory as long as ypu have your macros and calories down, you'd grow. But will it make you feel less energy mental clarity by having larger portions, and will the benefit of staying lean still be there?

I see it mentioned all the time for cutting but what about bulking? In theory as long as ypu have your macros and calories down, you'd grow. But will it make you feel less energy mental clarity by having larger portions, and will the benefit of staying lean still be there?
I don't think of having less clarity after big meals. I do eat in the evening and I am pretty much in chill mode by then anyway. I feel like I have been sleeping better since being on IF. It's all still pretty new to me though.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Great info Rick! The only point I'm not sure I agree with is the point that states you will not lose performance while working out in a fasted state. Personally, I notice a big decrease in strength and endurance when working out fasted or even in larger caloric deficit.

I've used it for every goal and it's been extremely successful. I actually liked it a lot when adding size because I was able to keep my gains leaner and also allowed a LOT of diet leniency on food choices.

Great info Rick! The only point I'm not sure I agree with is the point that states you will not lose performance while working out in a fasted state. Personally, I notice a big decrease in strength and endurance when working out fasted or even in larger caloric deficit.
It's purely psychological bro. Once you get past the "omg I haven't ate anything. I'm catabolic" phase in your mind you can find that you actually have more energy in a fasted state.

This all started and came from our ancestors and there's a legit physiological reason for this. Our ancestors were hunter gatherers, and hunted all day long in a fasted state, which was also their most alert and energetic state and the Fed off their kills at night.

Ironically science also tells us they were very lean and muscular....hmmmmm

I have been doing IF for over 5 years and i love it it fits my lifestyle I never liked to eat in the morning I have more energy during the day when I fast. I do this always and I have lost weight when in a deficit and I have gained muscle while in a surplus. I like to eat large meals in one sitting so IF is great for me. Great post Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick is dead right - the issue is totally psychological. Once you get over the mental block you'll be surprised how well you can do on IF in any aspect of training.

I have been doing IF for over 5 years and i love it it fits my lifestyle I never liked to eat in the morning I have more energy during the day when I fast. I do this always and I have lost weight when in a deficit and I have gained muscle while in a surplus. I like to eat large meals in one sitting so IF is great for me. Great post Rick

I agree completely bro. It's always been a great diet fit for me and my schedule, and the best workouts ive ever had were on IF in a fasted state

I agree completely bro. It's always been a great diet fit for me and my schedule, and the best workouts ive ever had were on IF in a fasted state

I love working out in a fasted state too. This is my lifestyle now when I cutting I stay dedicate to the 16 hour fast 8hour window but when I'm bulking I still fast but more loose with it so I can enjoy dinner with wife and kids. I usually go 12 hour fast 12 window.

You're pretty much there bro. Coffee is fine as long as you dont add sugar, creamer, etc. A few minor manipulations and you'll be well within the protocol

My regimen is wake up at 4:30am, gym by 5-5:15am, coffee with 2tbs of either heavy creamer or coconut oil, lunch at 12, dinner at 6. About a gallon of water on average throughout the day.

My question is, have I been doing it wrong with the coconut oil/heavy cream in the coffee?

Thanks in advance

My regimen is wake up at 4:30am, gym by 5-5:15am, coffee with 2tbs of either heavy creamer or coconut oil, lunch at 12, dinner at 6. About a gallon of water on average throughout the day.

My question is, have I been doing it wrong with the coconut oil/heavy cream in the coffee?

Thanks in advance

You're definitely breaking fast with the creamer or coconut oil bro. You need to refrain from using those during the fasting period

Rick, what are your thought about weight training at 5am in a fasted state? Given that, how long could one push back their first meal? Same protocol or does this change somewhat given the early AM weight training?

Rick, what are your thought about weight training at 5am in a fasted state? Given that, how long could one push back their first meal? Same protocol or does this change somewhat given the early AM weight training?
I see no problem with it at all. Not really much different than what I did on IF myself. I trained at 6 am fasted and then broke fast with my first meal at noon.

If you are going to train in a fasted state however, I am a big advocate of using 6-8g of BCAAs pre and post training, as well as every 2 hours until fast is broken for protein synthesis

You're definitely breaking fast with the creamer or coconut oil bro. You need to refrain from using those during the fasting period

I was under the impression that as long as there was zero protein, or carb intake the fast would stay going.
I appreciate it

I was under the impression that as long as there was zero protein, or carb intake the fast would stay going.
I appreciate it

No, it's anything that has enough caloric content to initiate an insulin release, whch definitely includes fats.

Even The very small calories in BCAAs can cause a small insulin spike (though negligible).

Great post RickRock! Do you think L-Carnitine 4g a day or so is beneficial on a IF diet to help use up your body fat more efficiently during the fasting period of the day?

Great post RickRock! Do you think L-Carnitine 4g a day or so is beneficial on a IF diet to help use up your body fat more efficiently during the fasting period of the day?

I don't see a problem using it, but I also don't see it doing much or giving any real type of extra measurable benefit, so I wouodmt expect anything huge from it

Top Bottom