napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Are steroids bad?

JM750

It's hard to escape the news stories about professional athletes gone bad by using performance-enhancing drugs, blood doping and steroids. So, it's understandable if you think steroids are bad.

But in fact, steroids are flowing through your blood and moving in and out of a variety of tissues and organs as you read this. And it's likely they are helping to keep you healthy. Actually, steroids are essential to life. Many life-saving medications contain steroids.

How can this be? The answer lies in the fact that there are many types of steroids. Their effects in the body differ. And so do their side effects.

The Many Faces of Steroids

The body normally makes many steroids. Due to their similar chemical structures, all steroids are actually lipids (fats).

Here are the major categories of steroids and examples of each:

Cholesterol – This is a building block of all steroid hormones. Cholesterol may build up in arteries, causing heart attacks and strokes.
Cortisol – This hormone is made by the adrenal glands, two small organs that sit on top of the kidneys. Cortisol is involved in many vital body functions, including energy regulation and immune function.
Mineralocorticoids – These are hormones produced by the adrenal glands that regulate the body's balance of fluids and electrolytes (such as sodium and potassium).
Sex steroids – These include testosterone, estradiol and progesterone. Sex steroids are made mainly by the testes in men and the ovaries in women. Their actions include sexual development, sex drive, ovulation and menstruation.
In addition to the body's naturally occurring steroids, medications and supplements may contain steroids. Examples include:

Prednisone – This is an oral steroid that mimics the actions of cortisol. As a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, its effects can be life saving. However, its benefits must be balanced against the serious side effects it can cause. (See below.)
Inhaled steroids – A common example is fluticasone. It's found in nasal sprays and inhalers such as FloNase and FloVent, and other drugs).
Steroid enemas – Hydrocortisone enemas are commonly used for inflammation in the rectal area. This can occur in people with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
Topical steroids – Hydrocortisone cream in low concentration is available without a prescription. More potent versions need a prescription. They are most commonly used for skin inflammation found with eczema and many other skin disorders.
Androgens – These are "male" sex hormones, though women have androgens as well (though in lower amounts than men). The most common and legitimate use of testosterone is for men with problems related to low testosterone. However, many men also take androgens without a prescription (some of which are illegal) to increase strength and muscle mass.

The Bright Side of Steroids

Steroid treatment can help dramatically improve some of the most common and debilitating diseases, such as:

Asthma – Steroids reduce inflammation in the airways and ease breathing.
Inflammatory bowel disease – Disorders such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are associated with inflammation of the digestive tract. Steroids can quiet this down.
Rheumatoid arthritis and gout – A low dose of steroids can quickly reduce the serious and destructive joint inflammation associated with these conditions.
Severe allergic reactions – A brief course of steroids can treat the itchy rash from contact with poison ivy or inflammation and swelling in the airways that may develop with severe medication reactions.
Doctors prescribe steroids for many other conditions as well.

When the body makes too little cortisol (a condition called adrenal insufficiency or Addison's Disease), steroid "replacement" therapy can be life saving.
Certain infections improve faster when steroids are given along with antibiotics compared with antibiotics alone. One example is a common pneumonia associated with HIV infection.

The Dark Side of Steroids

Why do steroids have such a bad reputation when they help so many conditions? It's because of the long list of their potential side effects, including:

Cataracts
Weight gain
Leg swelling and facial fullness
Increased blood sugar (and risk of diabetes)
Suppression of the immune system and increased risk of infections
Muscle weakness
Osteoporosis
Insomnia
Confusion, hallucinations or mood changes
The types of steroids taken by body builders and other athletes to enhance performance may have other side effects, such as:

Nausea
Liver damage
Shrinking of the testes
Kidney failure
Stroke
Blood clots in the legs or lungs
This is why they are banned by most athletic organizations.

Some side effects of steroids can be avoided or treated. For example, calcium, vitamin D and bone-building medications (such as alendronate) can counter bone loss and osteoporosis that may complicate treatment. However, the best way to avoid complications is to minimize the duration and dose or, better yet, to avoid steroid use altogether.

The Bottom Line

Anyone who is thinking about taking steroids, whether for medical or other purposes, should have a healthy respect for their potential to cause trouble. But, it is a myth to say steroids are all bad. Just ask the person with arthritis who couldn't move or function without steroids, or the person with asthma who is spared emergency room visits and hospitalizations due to the powerful anti-inflammatory actions of steroids.

As with any medicine, each person has to weigh the risks and benefits of taking steroids. Taking steroids only to build muscle mass or improve athletic performance, has no health benefits. So, while there are legitimate benefits associated with steroid use, it's easy to see why this class of medications has a bad reputation.

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D. is associate physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and associate professor at Harvard Medical School. He has been a practicing rheumatologist for over 20 years at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He is an active teacher in the Internal Medicine Residency Program, serving as the Robinson Firm Chief. He is also a teacher in the Rheumatology Fellowship Program.

JM750 said:
It's hard to escape the news stories about professional athletes gone bad by using performance-enhancing drugs, blood doping and steroids. So, it's understandable if you think steroids are bad.

But in fact, steroids are flowing through your blood and moving in and out of a variety of tissues and organs as you read this. And it's likely they are helping to keep you healthy. Actually, steroids are essential to life. Many life-saving medications contain steroids.

How can this be? The answer lies in the fact that there are many types of steroids. Their effects in the body differ. And so do their side effects.

The Many Faces of Steroids

The body normally makes many steroids. Due to their similar chemical structures, all steroids are actually lipids (fats).

Here are the major categories of steroids and examples of each:

Cholesterol – This is a building block of all steroid hormones. Cholesterol may build up in arteries, causing heart attacks and strokes.
Cortisol – This hormone is made by the adrenal glands, two small organs that sit on top of the kidneys. Cortisol is involved in many vital body functions, including energy regulation and immune function.
Mineralocorticoids – These are hormones produced by the adrenal glands that regulate the body's balance of fluids and electrolytes (such as sodium and potassium).
Sex steroids – These include testosterone, estradiol and progesterone. Sex steroids are made mainly by the testes in men and the ovaries in women. Their actions include sexual development, sex drive, ovulation and menstruation.
In addition to the body's naturally occurring steroids, medications and supplements may contain steroids. Examples include:

Prednisone – This is an oral steroid that mimics the actions of cortisol. As a powerful anti-inflammatory agent, its effects can be life saving. However, its benefits must be balanced against the serious side effects it can cause. (See below.)
Inhaled steroids – A common example is fluticasone. It's found in nasal sprays and inhalers such as FloNase and FloVent, and other drugs).
Steroid enemas – Hydrocortisone enemas are commonly used for inflammation in the rectal area. This can occur in people with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
Topical steroids – Hydrocortisone cream in low concentration is available without a prescription. More potent versions need a prescription. They are most commonly used for skin inflammation found with eczema and many other skin disorders.
Androgens – These are "male" sex hormones, though women have androgens as well (though in lower amounts than men). The most common and legitimate use of testosterone is for men with problems related to low testosterone. However, many men also take androgens without a prescription (some of which are illegal) to increase strength and muscle mass.

The Bright Side of Steroids

Steroid treatment can help dramatically improve some of the most common and debilitating diseases, such as:

Asthma – Steroids reduce inflammation in the airways and ease breathing.
Inflammatory bowel disease – Disorders such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are associated with inflammation of the digestive tract. Steroids can quiet this down.
Rheumatoid arthritis and gout – A low dose of steroids can quickly reduce the serious and destructive joint inflammation associated with these conditions.
Severe allergic reactions – A brief course of steroids can treat the itchy rash from contact with poison ivy or inflammation and swelling in the airways that may develop with severe medication reactions.
Doctors prescribe steroids for many other conditions as well.

When the body makes too little cortisol (a condition called adrenal insufficiency or Addison's Disease), steroid "replacement" therapy can be life saving.
Certain infections improve faster when steroids are given along with antibiotics compared with antibiotics alone. One example is a common pneumonia associated with HIV infection.

The Dark Side of Steroids

Why do steroids have such a bad reputation when they help so many conditions? It's because of the long list of their potential side effects, including:

Cataracts
Weight gain
Leg swelling and facial fullness
Increased blood sugar (and risk of diabetes)
Suppression of the immune system and increased risk of infections
Muscle weakness
Osteoporosis
Insomnia
Confusion, hallucinations or mood changes
The types of steroids taken by body builders and other athletes to enhance performance may have other side effects, such as:

Nausea
Liver damage
Shrinking of the testes
Kidney failure
Stroke
Blood clots in the legs or lungs
This is why they are banned by most athletic organizations.

Some side effects of steroids can be avoided or treated. For example, calcium, vitamin D and bone-building medications (such as alendronate) can counter bone loss and osteoporosis that may complicate treatment. However, the best way to avoid complications is to minimize the duration and dose or, better yet, to avoid steroid use altogether.

The Bottom Line

Anyone who is thinking about taking steroids, whether for medical or other purposes, should have a healthy respect for their potential to cause trouble. But, it is a myth to say steroids are all bad. Just ask the person with arthritis who couldn't move or function without steroids, or the person with asthma who is spared emergency room visits and hospitalizations due to the powerful anti-inflammatory actions of steroids.

As with any medicine, each person has to weigh the risks and benefits of taking steroids. Taking steroids only to build muscle mass or improve athletic performance, has no health benefits. So, while there are legitimate benefits associated with steroid use, it's easy to see why this class of medications has a bad reputation.

Robert H. Shmerling, M.D. is associate physician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and associate professor at Harvard Medical School. He has been a practicing rheumatologist for over 20 years at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He is an active teacher in the Internal Medicine Residency Program, serving as the Robinson Firm Chief. He is also a teacher in the Rheumatology Fellowship Program.

Great post JM! Steroids have been given a negative reputation to the public because of the media and the way they have been portrayed as a shortcut and cheating by professional athletes. There is also the false assumption that taking steroids are going to kill you and the worst thing you can do to yourself. The truth is that the things that the average American does on a daily basis, like eating high fat and carb foods, drinking alcohol, smoking, and living a sedentary lifestyle is what contributes to the largest part of deaths in this country. As with any medication or drug, there is a safe way to use things and a way to abuse them. For anyone that I've known in this lifestyle very long, are some of the most responsible and healthiest people I've known. We all take the health and longevity aspect of bodybuilding to heart, and that's why we take precautions, run supports, do bloodwork, give out selves enough time off, and don't abuse compounds and stay within certain limits.

Yesterday. My 10 and 13 yr old kids were asking me if steroids are bad. Btw. I dont tell anyone i use them. and i had to explain to them that they are not bad. And i told them how ppl that do take roids to improve their body dont go robbing houses or killing ppl for more steroids like meth and crack addicts do.
I told them if they are used properly. And not abused. They can do wonders for a person. I told them that the Government makes them out to look real bad but in fact they are not.

FUCKING AWESOME WRITE UP MAN...

the question on whether they are bad seems complex but its honestly a simple answer... ask yourself this question... is it bad to drive a car without a seat belt? or ride a motorcycle without a helmet? is it far sfer to address these precautions? so is it far safer to use steroids at the right dose, with the right protection and proper PCT? If you do this properly is there a LOT of benefit and not nearly as high of a chance of problem?

Could you still get in a car accident with a seatbelt? YES but YOU HAVE A FAR GREATER LIKELIHOOD OF MAKING IT THROUGH WITHOUT INJURY WITH IT... Are cars a great benefit if used safely?

This is just an example of the many I could compare for analogy... Point being, if done RIGHT then there are far less chances of any sort of problem and a far greater chance of a high success rate!

I agree with Dylan. Anything can be "bad" if not used correctly. Lawn mowers, cars, eating utensils, even vitamins. It's all dependent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the fools who take a huge amount of steroids and no precautions and get sick. Or the 15yr old kid who gets his hands on them and messes himself up that give it a bad name. Just like roid rage. You have to have self control and be vigilent of your emotions. Steroids are very misunderstood by the ignorant people of the world.

PHURIOUS PHARMA

PHURIOUS said:
Steroids are very misunderstood by the ignorant people of the world.

PHURIOUS PHARMA

Exactly! If i was to get popped with my own personal stash, the media would be saing how he had ooh so many vials and all different brands and bla bla bla. And my neighbors would be saying how bad i was and shit like that!! Gimme a damn break. That's how uneducated our society is. Its pathetic that ppl believe everything the government tells them.

What really aggravates me is when you have those people that argue steroids is cheating. For one, in a professional sports atmosphere where the consensus is no drugs, I can understand how that's considered cheating. However, for someone like me who only competes against himself, how is it cheating? Also, what about people who are gifted with the upper limit of testosterone running through their body naturally and I naturally sit on the low 500s? How is it when I level the playing field I'm cheating? I know it's not exactly on subject with your write-up but it's just frustrating to hear the ignorance regarding steroids.

ibleedoranbla said:
What really aggravates me is when you have those people that argue steroids is cheating. For one, in a professional sports atmosphere where the consensus is no drugs, I can understand how that's considered cheating. However, for someone like me who only competes against himself, how is it cheating? Also, what about people who are gifted with the upper limit of testosterone running through their body naturally and I naturally sit on the low 500s? How is it when I level the playing field I'm cheating? I know it's not exactly on subject with your write-up but it's just frustrating to hear the ignorance regarding steroids.

You don't need to be on subject with my original post. This is good food for thought talk. LOL

This all goes back to that phurious said. People being uneducated.

ibleedoranbla said:

Here's my argument on that... How is it fair to the kid who has the rich parents who can afford tennis lessons, golf lessons etc. yet so many cannot and simply can't even play in sports like that which are more expensive to play? How is it fair to have these accommodations, better equipment etc...? It's absurd... Since the beginning of time, athletes have and always will look for an edge... Whether its steroids or some other means, this can be argued... For me, it comes down to how bad you want it and what your willing to do to get it...

Like a favorite athlete of mine said a long time ago. If you aint cheatin you aint TRYIN!

PHURIOUS PHARMA

Re: RE: Re: Are steroids bad?

DylanGemelli said:
ibleedoranbla said:

Here's my argument on that... How is it fair to the kid who has the rich parents who can afford tennis lessons, golf lessons etc. yet so many cannot and simply can't even play in sports like that which are more expensive to play? How is it fair to have these accommodations, better equipment etc...? It's absurd... Since the beginning of time, athletes have and always will look for an edge... Whether its steroids or some other means, this can be argued... For me, it comes down to how bad you want it and what your willing to do to get it...
I agree with this whole heartedly. If you want something bad enough you'll do what's necessary to obtain it. There are just a lot of natty "elitist" out there and they really get on my nerves, lol.

Cheating? You can take all the gear in the world. ..but its still you who lifts the weight. .still you who diets. That's like saying im cheating if I buy Jordan's to play ball in. Yes a better shoe has the advantage, but it's still up to my game to be better than the next guy.

People are usually quick to bad mouth something they do not understand. When people say steroids to me the first words out of my mouth are...you mean prednisone? Then they babble. Yes... there are catabolic as well as anabolic steroids. Then you have their close friends called sterols.When we say steroids are bad or good what we really are talking about is use vs abuse. In the 60's every mother and woman on the street was prescribed cyrstal meth for weight loss. It is still avaiable today and is still called Desoxyn. This drug was a wonderfull weight loss drug when it was "used". Then folks thought well a little is good so a lot must be great...wrong! It went from use to abuse and then had to be tightly controlled. You can pretty much say that for pain killers, most diet pills, and even illict street drugs.They can all be used with benefits or abused and death. This even holds true for old time stacks of ephedrine, clenbuterol etc. Sooner or latter they do not work anymore , so you increase the dose. Use turns to abuse very easily. It is no different for AS. The life extension folks and the AIDS doctors are finding that a simple deca/cyp stack can work wonders, but if you quadruple that stack you can have problems. And that is life!

drb_iac said:
People are usually quick to bad mouth something they do not understand. When people say steroids to me the first words out of my mouth are...you mean prednisone? Then they babble. Yes... there are catabolic as well as anabolic steroids. Then you have their close friends called sterols.When we say steroids are bad or good what we really are talking about is use vs abuse. In the 60's every mother and woman on the street was prescribed cyrstal meth for weight loss. It is still avaiable today and is still called Desoxyn. This drug was a wonderfull weight loss drug when it was "used". Then folks thought well a little is good so a lot must be great...wrong! It went from use to abuse and then had to be tightly controlled. You can pretty much say that for pain killers, most diet pills, and even illict street drugs.They can all be used with benefits or abused and death. This even holds true for old time stacks of ephedrine, clenbuterol etc. Sooner or latter they do not work anymore , so you increase the dose. Use turns to abuse very easily. It is no different for AS. The life extension folks and the AIDS doctors are finding that a simple deca/cyp stack can work wonders, but if you quadruple that stack you can have problems. And that is life!

(Using my Bill &Teds voice)
Most excellent post brother.

drb_iac said:

Very well put brother. That's an excellent way to put things in perspective.

Top Bottom