napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

White rice "hack" that can cut the calories in half!

Okay, so this is more of a food hack than a recipe but I know a lot of athletes for whom white rice is a staple, so I thought I'd throw this up here.

New research was presented at the 249th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society, and revealed that adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to boiling water with a half-cup of non-fortified white rice, letting it simmer for 20 to 40 minutes, then refrigerating it for 12 hours may reduce the number of calories your body takes in by 50 to 60 percent.

The researchers explained that rice contains two kinds of starch—one that is easily digestible, and one that's resistant. Our bodies don't have the enzymes needed to digest the resistant kind, which means it can't break down that starch and transform it into the sugar that typically gets absorbed into the bloodstream. If you have extra sugar in your bloodstream, that gets turned into fat, which we know is no good. In other words, the scientists wanted to find a way to get the rice to have more resistant starch, rather than digestible ones, to avoid that extra sugar in the body.

This is where the coconut oil comes in. Adding it to the cooking process makes the starch granules resistant to the action of digestive enzymes, and then letting the rice cool for 12 hours pushes the process along. Translation: Same amount of rice, fewer calories into the body. But you don't have to eat it cold - the researchers claimed reheating the rice did not affect the now resistant starches in the rice.

Pretty cool! I already use coconut oil in the majority of my cooking.
Anyway, hope somebody finds this of interest. I pulled it from an article which you kind can find here: http://www.redbookmag.com/body/heal...r-rice/?link=rel&dom=yah_hlth&src=syn&mag=rbk

prestigealaska said:
Okay, so this is more of a food hack than a recipe but I know a lot of athletes for whom white rice is a staple, so I thought I'd throw this up here.

New research was presented at the 249th National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society, and revealed that adding a teaspoon of coconut oil to boiling water with a half-cup of non-fortified white rice, letting it simmer for 20 to 40 minutes, then refrigerating it for 12 hours may reduce the number of calories your body takes in by 50 to 60 percent.

The researchers explained that rice contains two kinds of starch—one that is easily digestible, and one that's resistant. Our bodies don't have the enzymes needed to digest the resistant kind, which means it can't break down that starch and transform it into the sugar that typically gets absorbed into the bloodstream. If you have extra sugar in your bloodstream, that gets turned into fat, which we know is no good. In other words, the scientists wanted to find a way to get the rice to have more resistant starch, rather than digestible ones, to avoid that extra sugar in the body.

This is where the coconut oil comes in. Adding it to the cooking process makes the starch granules resistant to the action of digestive enzymes, and then letting the rice cool for 12 hours pushes the process along. Translation: Same amount of rice, fewer calories into the body. But you don't have to eat it cold - the researchers claimed reheating the rice did not affect the now resistant starches in the rice.

Anyway, hope somebody finds this of interest. I pulled it from an article which you kind can find here: http://www.redbookmag.com/body/heal...r-rice/?link=rel&dom=yah_hlth&src=syn&mag=rbk

I actually heard of this a little while back. It's very interesting to say the least, and seems to have actual validity. Definitely something to keep in mind for those that may be dieting down

Re: White rice "hack" that can cut the calories in half!

RickRock said:
prestigealaska said:

I actually heard of this a little while back. It's very interesting to say the least, and seems to have actual validity. Definitely something to keep in mind for those that may be dieting down

Classic JP post remember RR ?! Hahah but yea I still have to try this, very interesting and useful concept

Sent using Tapatalk

Re: White rice

KingWizard said:
RickRock said:
prestigealaska said:

Classic JP post remember RR ?! Hahah but yea I still have to try this, very interesting and useful concept

Sent using Tapatalk

Yep, you are right. That's exactly where I heard it! Good old JP. Hahaha

The theory itself makes a lot of sense and i see high amounts of validity within it... I may have to give this a try... It sounds more than promising and there is definitely never a lack of rice around me at all times yet i never eat any of it and would like to here and there...

DylanGemelli said:
The theory itself makes a lot of sense and i see high amounts of validity within it... I may have to give this a try... It sounds more than promising and there is definitely never a lack of rice around me at all times yet i never eat any of it and would like to here and there...

Me too! Never eat white rice, and I would if it paid more nutrional dividends.

prestigealaska said:
DylanGemelli said:

I love white rice!! I may need to try this out...

Re: White rice "hack" that can cut the calories in half!

I like jasmine rice

PHURIOUS PHARMA

Re: RE: Re: White rice "hack" that can cut the calories in half!

prestigealaska said:
DylanGemelli said:

I guess you haven't heard of phytic acid which is found in brown rice and negates all the health benefits of brown rice. No bodybuilder who wants proper protein assimilation should be eating brown rice.

"Phytic acid also inhibits pepsin, the enzyme needed to properly break down protein as well as amylase, the enzyme needed to break down sugar. So not only does phytic acid prevent nutrient absorption, it interferes with proper digestion."

Google "brown rice phytic acid" and you will discover that Brown rice is essentially an anti nutrient.

Re: RE: Re: White rice

Jigga14 said:
prestigealaska said:
DylanGemelli said:

I guess you haven't heard of phytic acid which is found in brown rice and negates all the health benefits of brown rice. No bodybuilder who wants proper protein assimilation should be eating brown rice.

"Phytic acid also inhibits pepsin, the enzyme needed to properly break down protein as well as amylase, the enzyme needed to break down sugar. So not only does phytic acid prevent nutrient absorption, it interferes with proper digestion."

Google "brown rice phytic acid" and you will discover that Brown rice is essentially an anti nutrient.

That sounds interesting, but I'm sure a debatable topic considering brown rice is the most popular form of rice used in bodybuilding and has been for decades

Top Bottom