napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Diet Breaks....

jp1957

I read an interesting article yesterday on diet breaks.

Everyone knows when on a diet, the body begins to compensate, eventually you plateau, and then you have to drop calories again, etc etc etc.

The idea behind diet breaks, is to get the body out of preservation mode, and back to normal stasis for 4 weeks, then get back on the diet.

any thoughts, ideas, etc.

It does kinda make sense.

It seems to make sense to me, as the body adapts and slows down. You plateau, drop more calories, body adapts, etc.

But yes, just to basic.

Now interestingly, it says to either drop all cardio, or cut cardio by 50%. I use cardio for a warm up before lifting, so not sure how to go about that. If at all.

Now interestingly, it says to either drop all cardio, or cut cardio by 50%. I use cardio for a warm up before lifting, so not sure how to go about that. If at all.

So may different ways to do your break. I think it depends on how intense your cardio is and how worn out you are from the dieting. I'm a fan of the diet breaks, and I think the time between breaks can vary depending how progress and how you're feeling goes. If you're dropping reasonable BF w/o lowering calories or upping cardio then IMO you can go longer between breaks. If you have to start changing cardio/calorie intake fast then a diet break may help profoundly.

I dont really have a reference what intense cardio is, as I do 15M (steady state) at max resistance on elliptical, followed by 10 flights of stairs with `155pds on lead on(now thats high intensity). I'd say more moderate intensity when viewed as an entire session.

Overall though, doesnt seem that bad, and doesnt impact my workouts, even today on legs day, the stairs didnt phase me or impact my legs workout.

I don't ever like sustained periods of surpluses or deficits. Either way can become counterproductive so I do believe in diet breaks. However, I don't think you need to do 4 weeks at a time. I look at more short term solutions. For instance, when cutting I may have 2 days a week that are at maintenance or around there with higher carb amounts. I do the same thing when eating at surpluses. I'll pick 2 days a week to eat at defecit.....generally rest Dotson whenim just doing cardio. Now as far as breaks from training I usually take a full week off of any activity at all every 3-4 months, which I personally feel is very beneficial

you know what, im sure it works well for some and not for others... diet is the trickiest and most difficult aspect of fitness and just life in general... we all respond so differently to different ways of eating, certain nutrients etc... its just the way it is... i like to change things up at times just to shock my body but i never do anything drastic either... thats what works for me though and it may be different for others...

yea, I dontknow if I'd do a diet break for 4 weeks, maybe more like 2 and see how it plays out. Only days I eat above maintenance, is Saturdays, because I barely eat all day long, and am either diving, or dirt biking and burn a shit load of calories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom