napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx
roidvisorsteroidify
osgear

Carbs in vegetables

Curious as to count carbs in veggies, green mostly. I am surprised how that add up, I began using my fitness pal about a month ago and 60- 80 carbs come from veggies..My rice bread complex carbs may be add up to 100..
Would you count these carbs? I eat a mixed dark green salad breakfast, lunch and dinner..and I eat 1-2 bags of stew fresh vegetables, I always eat the whole bag. It's usually green beans or broccoli and every once in awhile peas.
I got sick of preparing fresh vegetables and the steam fresh at flash froze, supposedly more nutrients than fresh, depends on how the fresh veg tables are handled from farm to store..
I'm to the point with carbs isn't 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and a tablespoon of almond butter pre workout and cyclic dextrin ( 30 grams) intra workout..a 100 calorie Greek yogurt after which is 15 grams carbs and that's it..
Also curious as to how much dairy is too much..as well as macros are in check, guess it doesn't matter.
3-4 days a week I mix 2 cans tuna with a 1/2 cup cottage cheese and I have a Greek yogurt everyday.
What's your take on dairy? Also Tuna i average 10 cans a week( 365 whole foods pole caught low sodium) do you really need to be concerned with the Mercury? I find myself eating more and more tuna , it's so damn simple and easy.
If I'm hungry tuna is my go to , I just throw some mustard on it and eat it out the can.

Cynnamonwoodberry said:
Curious as to count carbs in veggies, green mostly. I am surprised how that add up, I began using my fitness pal about a month ago and 60- 80 carbs come from veggies..My rice bread complex carbs may be add up to 100..
Would you count these carbs? I eat a mixed dark green salad breakfast, lunch and dinner..and I eat 1-2 bags of stew fresh vegetables, I always eat the whole bag. It's usually green beans or broccoli and every once in awhile peas.
I got sick of preparing fresh vegetables and the steam fresh at flash froze, supposedly more nutrients than fresh, depends on how the fresh veg tables are handled from farm to store..
I'm to the point with carbs isn't 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and a tablespoon of almond butter pre workout and cyclic dextrin ( 30 grams) intra workout..a 100 calorie Greek yogurt after which is 15 grams carbs and that's it..
Also curious as to how much dairy is too much..as well as macros are in check, guess it doesn't matter.
3-4 days a week I mix 2 cans tuna with a 1/2 cup cottage cheese and I have a Greek yogurt everyday.
What's your take on dairy? Also Tuna i average 10 cans a week( 365 whole foods pole caught low sodium) do you really need to be concerned with the Mercury? I find myself eating more and more tuna , it's so damn simple and easy.
If I'm hungry tuna is my go to , I just throw some mustard on it and eat it out the can.

I don't count any fibrous carbs from green vegetables. It doesn't get treated in your body the same as a glycogen replenishing carb like rice, oats, or potatoes

I count em all. Even though the body doesn't break it down.

Honestly it's usually a minute difference. It doesn't matter.
Soluble vs insoluble dietary.

I say meh. Lmao. Although if I don't count it I can eat more.

Doh lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Carbs in vegetables

Hiasdamoon said:
I count em all. Even though the body doesn't break it down.

Honestly it's usually a minute difference. It doesn't matter.
Soluble vs insoluble dietary.

I say meh. Lmao. Although if I don't count it I can eat more.

Doh lol

Fibrous green veggies actually take you body more energy to break down and digest than is even contained in them, so really I never see the point in counting them.

Either way it really doesn't matter. You either always count them or never count them

True. Love broccoli for the satiety factor.
I count them for total carbs but when I'm aiming below 100 then I subtract the fiber to allow for more oats or rice.

Probably ass backwards but whatever lol

I use MyFitnessPal too, but there is room for improvement. Especially when it comes to carb differentiation and soluble vs. insoluble fiber. I agree with Rick in not counting carbs from vegetables with high amounts of insoluble fiber since MFP can't distinguish between the two.

prestigealaska said:
I use MyFitnessPal too, but there is room for improvement. Especially when it comes to carb differentiation and soluble vs. insoluble fiber. I agree with Rick in not counting carbs from vegetables with high amounts of insoluble fiber since MFP can't distinguish between the two.

i also thoroughly agree... although my vegetable intake is absurd i still dont really count them all in there... i probably have 5 servings or more a day of vegetables

If they have calories then count them. But this is where it is good to pay attention to the glycemic index. I never knew anyone who got fat from eating too much brocoli.I snack on carrots, green pepper,pickles and celery all day long and do not keep track. If however I was very serious and trying to accomplish something then yeah...count em.

Yeah..I never knew there were carbs or much sodium in vegetables until I began using my fitness pal and was dumbfounded by carb intake. I always counted them in my head prior and this blew me away.
Anyhow I read on article on carbs and agree not logging fibrous carbs( was not familiar with) and only starchy carbs..the article stated to eat a meal consisting of lean protein, fibrous and starchy carb(for muscle) I believe the body will produce its own carbs from high protein though if you can tolerate it. I could not go with out vegetables though. I fill myself with the vegetables and I believe they make me energetic, I hardly ever drag ass..I was when I first started my T3 cycle, the Test prop didn't kick in as fast as I thought..All good from about 10-12 days on so far..

Cynnamonwoodberry said:
Yeah..I never knew there were carbs or much sodium in vegetables until I began using my fitness pal and was dumbfounded by carb intake. I always counted them in my head prior and this blew me away.
Anyhow I read on article on carbs and agree not logging fibrous carbs( was not familiar with) and only starchy carbs..the article stated to eat a meal consisting of lean protein, fibrous and starchy carb(for muscle) I believe the body will produce its own carbs from high protein though if you can tolerate it. I could not go with out vegetables though. I fill myself with the vegetables and I believe they make me energetic, I hardly ever drag ass..I was when I first started my T3 cycle, the Test prop didn't kick in as fast as I thought..All good from about 10-12 days on so far..

there shouldnt be many carbs in veggies at all, and also remember the dietary fiber is subtracted from total carbs to = your net carb intake. so if you eat a veggie that has 10 carbs but 5g fiber, thats really only 5g carbs. Most veggies, especially greens, are very low cals....

Cynnamonwoodberry said:

I wouldn't be too concerned with the sodium in many vegetables - there's often a shit ton more potassium

SpikedEggnog said:
Cynnamonwoodberry said:

there shouldnt be many carbs in veggies at all, and also remember the dietary fiber is subtracted from total carbs to = your net carb intake. so if you eat a veggie that has 10 carbs but 5g fiber, thats really only 5g carbs. Most veggies, especially greens, are very low cals....
Bingo

Cynnamonwoodberry said:

also, there shouldnt be much sodium either. there is some naturally occuring in certain veggies, like spinach for instance, BUT it should be so little throughout the day that it wont cause you do overintake sodium. and when you are working out you will need to replenish that sodium too. Also man, keep in mind that myfitnesspal has errors in the coding - not all there data is verified - so some stuff on there may be wrong. also like we were talking about before, it will say canned tuna is high sodium, but if you drain it the sodium is lower. it has flaws like any app, just keep that in mind.

SpikedEggnog said:
Cynnamonwoodberry said:

also, there shouldnt be much sodium either. there is some naturally occuring in certain veggies, like spinach for instance, BUT it should be so little throughout the day that it wont cause you do overintake sodium. and when you are working out you will need to replenish that sodium too. Also man, keep in mind that myfitnesspal has errors in the coding - not all there data is verified - so some stuff on there may be wrong. also like we were talking about before, it will say canned tuna is high sodium, but if you drain it the sodium is lower. it has flaws like any app, just keep that in mind.

I was just going to bring this up... THE only two ways i see this occurring is if your buying them in a can and they are just the normal as opposed to NO SALT ADDED but if your getting fresh of frozen veggies they are not going to have much of any sodium whatsoever... I believe there are definitely errors on that end... i never use any apps for any counting... i know its "more convenient" but its also "less accurate" which i simply do not tolerate... i realize not everyone is after the same things, but things like this are a prime example of throwing things off...

middle aged fat guy said:
Cynnamonwoodberry said:

I wouldn't be too concerned with the sodium in many vegetables - there's often a shit ton more potassium

Agreed, I wouldn't be concerned about sodium in vegetables whatsoever

and let me add this...fresh is best! Next is frozen. I do not touch canned anything. I consider that .."messed with" And look, spinach,cabbage,cauliflower,kale,chard,collards, brocoli are extremely easy to grow. You plant them in October...in pots if you want, and by Christmas you have food up to your ears.

I'm not concerned with the sodium in vegetables, have no choice. I was just surprised to find the amounts of sodium in some of them..MFP logs sodium in 6 cups of mixed greens at 310 mg blew my mind..I only eat canned tuna, wish I could eat canned chicken but sodium is off the charts.
My girl cooks some mean greens man, once I'm off the T3 I'll be having some ham hocks in them too..
I live in AZ and attempted to grow tomatoes and peppers above ground garden and can't grow a damn thing..I got shade good fertilizer watered 3 times a day and they just die..I grew up in Iowa and you just till the soil throw down seeds and anything grows, might have to water a few times in middle of summer, other than that Mother Nature does the rest..other wise I would be all about it..

Top Bottom