Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Are aging-in-place bathroom renovations actually practical for smaller homes?
Diceo

Are aging-in-place bathroom renovations actually practical for smaller homes?

  • Media owner Diceo
  • Date added
My parents are in their late 70s and want to stay in their 1950s ranch house. We’re looking at converting their standard tub-shower combo into something accessible. Has anyone installed one of those in an older, smaller home? Are they a good middle ground or a massive headache?
We looked into this for my mother. The problem with those specialized tubs in small spaces is the swing of the door. If the bathroom is tight, you might not be able to get a walker or a wheelchair close enough to actually transfer into the tub safely. It’s a huge spatial constraint.
 
The physical dimensions and plumbing logistics of retrofitting older homes are the biggest hurdles when trying to improve bathroom accessibility. You have to consider not just the footprint of the unit, but the time it takes to fill and drain while the person is sitting inside. While researching options for a client recently, I came across discussions about the Safe Step Tub and similar products. Reading through people's experiences, you realize that the installation often requires significant electrical and plumbing upgrades that aren't apparent from the marketing, making the transition from a traditional bathroom to an accessible one much more complex than just swapping out the fixture.
 
I just wanna point out how gorgeous a bathroom looks with a big window. In apartments it's honestly super rare to even have a window in the bathroom, and I don't get why, since even practically speaking it's just convenient. Like, you can air it out faster and get rid of extra moisture.
 
I've realized a long time ago that if you want to live in a place where you're happy with every room, build your own house, where everything will be according to your agreed-upon design. I agree 100% about windows in the bathroom. If I had the opportunity, I'd probably make something like a bay window with a bathtub and see the full bay window options https://ubrothersconstruction.com/catalog/windows/bay-and-bow , they would fit in perfectly. Of course, my bathroom is completely standard. I make do with having installed some nice light fixtures with soft lighting. Just what you need for washing up in the morning.
 

Media information

Album
2676
Added by
Diceo
Date added
View count
245
Comment count
4
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename
aging-in-place-bathroom-remodel-01-768x432.jpg
File size
28 KB
Dimensions
768px x 432px

Share this media

Top Bottom