napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

What is your why?

44YOGearHead

I'm curious about this as so many people's reasons are different and yet so many are cookie cutter answers. What's your 'why' and let's keep it real.

Here's mine: From an early age I've had a fascination with bodybuilding. When I was a young teen I'd save my money and attend local shows, I'd ask for subscriptions to Flex and gym shirts from Gold's, or World gym for birthdays and Christmas. I started lifting at age 12. By sixteen I competed and it was in my blood. For a teen I was 210 pounds at 5' 9", squatting 675 for 10+ reps and benching 385. At age 45... you already know it's still a big part of my life. Now, how about you all???

The 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing basketball at juco school I didn't really run up against big guys. When I got invited to tryout for a semi pro basketball team (USBL) that's where I had a little wake up call lol. I literally remember guarding this 2 guard from the US Naval Academy and he was my height but had me by 25-30lbs. He was tough. After that is when I started lifting. I got bigger and stronger and was hoping to go to Ireland and play professionally but tore my ACL and said I'm going to retire. But been lifting ever since. I look back and think what if I would of started lifting earlier...hmmm.

My sister brought me to the gym when I was 12 and then I just kept going on and off until I played football in high school. That's when I started going steady ever week. I saw this big mother fucker on the cover off Sports Illustrated Tony Madovic. I knew from then on thats what I wanted look like. And Arnold in the move Predator!!

I really wasn't envolved in any sports in school parents couldn't really
Afford it. I was short n stocky am pretty stout growing up country boy muscle lol
I always was known To be the one to arm wrestle in School, so I tried get stronger for it.
I had a few dumbells in my room that I used basic lifting, but later in life I got to go
The gym an fell in love with the pump, and I've never looked back, except for arm wrestling I
Quit it cause it hurts my tendons.

My old man. We had weights at home, and i saw my dad training every day. He inspired me. My dad was superman to me. I was a skinny little kid and got picked on a lot for being little. Got beat up at the bus stop for school when I was 12. I went home crying about it and said I needed to get strong and tough. My dad took me under his wing and I got addicted to working out pretty early on. He gave me all his old muscle and fitness mags, and I would read the fuck out of the articles....take out pictures of Arnold, Lou, Franco, Sergio, etc and put them up on my bedroom wall to look at. I idolized them guys. I was still a skinny kid through high school and was less than 100 lbs as a freshman. I hit it hard and by graduation I was still skinny but up to 140. I've never really looked back since. I can honestly say it's been a passion of mine since 12 years old, and I'm nearly 43 now, so over 30 years

I got into lifting senior year, didn't play sports but my friends were on wrestling. Eventually I signed up at a 24 hour gym, and kept making friends progressing into shape, picking up tips here, and there on how to get better at it. Finally got into good shape, everyone knew me. I could go to the beach, buy beers, go running in the sand with my headphones, I loved every moment. I felt alive. One day I got a sports hernia while I was working at the gym, it hurt so bad, it got to me mentally. I stopped working out, started to freak about any little thing I felt because I went my whole life with zero pain. Eventually got a surgery 9 months later, tried to work out and just kept re-injurng myself. 2 years from then (which is now) I am still combatting this chronic injury and found this site. I'm slowly taking it back, and I'm tired of being held back. I want a body as strong as my mind. Everyday that I get a good workout in, and I step outside in the sun, I feel so alive. I really do love it. It's real man. I Love the fitness crowd, I love the community, I'm very social though, and that's why I do what I do.

I went on a crazy hike 3 weeks ago, and you know what...I was perfectly fine. I didn't die, and my legs were fine too. It was the most sore my legs had been in years and they were fine, so you know what, thats great fucking news for me. Because that's exactly what I needed. The biggest joke is, I have the same sports hernia on the opposite side now. Not working out when I got my 1st one was the worst thing Iv'e done to date. Being in optimal health is truthfully, the most important thing to me. And I need to be for the things that are coming my way.

It's funny you'd start a thread like this 44, and kudos. This shit is on my mind every day, and is quite an emotional subject for me. It's been my Bain for years. And so help me when I lay this beast to rest, Im nailing the coffin shut and burning it in the desert. The vultures can have the charred remains.

I got into lifting senior year, didn't play sports but my friends were on wrestling. Eventually I signed up at a 24 hour gym, and kept making friends progressing into shape, picking up tips here, and there on how to get better at it. Finally got into good shape, everyone knew me. I could go to the beach, buy beers, go running in the sand with my headphones, I loved every moment. I felt alive. One day I got a sports hernia while I was working at the gym, it hurt so bad, it got to me mentally. I stopped working out, started to freak about any little thing I felt because I went my whole life with zero pain. Eventually got a surgery 9 months later, tried to work out and just kept re-injurng myself. 2 years from then (which is now) I am still combatting this chronic injury and found this site. I'm slowly taking it back, and I'm tired of being held back. I want a body as strong as my mind. Everyday that I get a good workout in, and I step outside in the sun, I feel so alive. I really do love it. It's real man. I Love the fitness crowd, I love the community, I'm very social though, and that's why I do what I do.

I went on a crazy hike 3 weeks ago, and you know what...I was perfectly fine. I didn't die, and my legs were fine too. It was the most sore my legs had been in years and they were fine, so you know what, thats great fucking news for me. Because that's exactly what I needed. The biggest joke is, I have the same sports hernia on the opposite side now. Not working out when I got my 1st one was the worst thing Iv'e done to date. Being in optimal health is truthfully, the most important thing to me. And I need to be for the things that are coming my way.

It's funny you'd start a thread like this 44, and kudos. This shit is on my mind every day, and is quite an emotional subject for me. It's been my Bain for years. And so help me when I lay this beast to rest, Im nailing the coffin shut and burning it in the desert. The vultures can have the charred remains.

Lol... I explained my why, but my how is something only NY knows as I shared it with him one day immediately after training and was still in that state of being. I'm glad you're back on your path. We need something that pulls us into and onto a better path.

Always worked out through playing sports but never seriously. I'm one of 5 and all of us got the rail thin, tiny calf genetics. I decided i wanted to be different. That and the fact that the gym gets out all my frustrations. I get satisfaction when i feel like I've broken myself down. Makes you feel like you earned it.

Grew up watching the hulk as a kid and was always in awe of the muscle, my uncle was a pretty ripped guy and I would always tell him to flex like the hulk, when I was like 12 he gave me a weight bench and I bought a bodybuilding book with my paper route money. got into it for a bit then in and out partied for a while through the teens, then on and off for years but stayed in pretty good shape, getting older now so staying fit and jacked is a goal, and like NY, just rocking a snug T. With guns blazing in my 40's and beyond is the goal. And Maybe just maybe if I get big enough, painting myself green one year and being the hulk for Halloween lol.

Starting lifting around 13 yr old with the plastic covered cement weights and little bench in my bedroom. I had a naturally skinny build and I was the brunt of my father's jokes. That pissed me off. One day I saw a bodybuilder jogging through my neighborhood. I was so impressed I wanted to look like that in the worst way. As I got older, most of my friends were either bodybuilders or powerlifters. I started to cycle. Of course, did many things wrong in the beginning. However, became obsessed with my build probably because I was so self conscience in my early years. Eaxmple: would wake up sick, fever, sore throat, chills, would call in sick to school or work. Then wake up later in morning and force myself to do something in the gym.

Competed in a few local bodybuilding tourneys. Like the attention from women, but hated being onstage like that. After many years of lifting I found myself going through the motions. I would force myself to go to the gym. Then I found Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Started lifting to complement my BJJ. Had to cut lifting down to 3 days a week.

Now, I'm 53. Most people think I'm younger. I look good, but I'm held together with paper and string. From all the years of abuse (lifting and bodybuilding) I have to be careful. Need a shoulder replacement, loose bone fragments in elbow, horrible tendinitis, etc.

Still lift and train, but had to slow it down.

I've always been fascinated by muscles starting at a very young age. When I was 5 I had asked my mom "How do you become black?" and she told me I can't become black but that I can tan and get darker. So I asked "How do I tan?" and she told me that the sun would tan me. So I quickly ran upstairs and proceeded to put on about 7-8 shirts, several being sweatshirts. I got stuck and couldn't get out and had to ask for help. My mom asked me why I put all the shirts on. I replied that I was trying to get tan. I had seen Mike Tyson and was in awe of his muscles, I probably found out about him from Nintendo's Punch Out lol. He was probably the only muscled guy I had ever seen, so I concluded that becoming black would mean I could get big muscles. When my mom told me I could tan by the sun I figured it was the heat that made you tan lol.

This is a great topic and my WHY has changed a lot over the years. Originally I just wanted to be bigger, stronger, faster to stand out and not be another sheep in the heard. Today I am just trying to stay on the right path at 48 and do it for my health, with that being said I still want to be the most swole mother fucker around carrying a AARP card!!! LOL

WHY?
So I can go to my 35 High School reunion and start knocking mother fuckers out one by one!!!
I still have a grudge with 90% of the fuck heads I went to School with..
There better be cots and kool aid for the victims as most are gonna be taken a nap…..I'm ready!

WHY?
So I can go to my 35 High School reunion and start knocking mother fuckers out one by one!!!
I still have a grudge with 90% of the fuck heads I went to School with..
There better be cots and kool aid for the victims as most are gonna be taken a nap…..I'm ready!

OMG [emoji848]I kinda like that

I've always been fascinated by muscles starting at a very young age. When I was 5 I had asked my mom "How do you become black?" and she told me I can't become black but that I can tan and get darker. So I asked "How do I tan?" and she told me that the sun would tan me. So I quickly ran upstairs and proceeded to put on about 7-8 shirts, several being sweatshirts. I got stuck and couldn't get out and had to ask for help. My mom asked me why I put all the shirts on. I replied that I was trying to get tan. I had seen Mike Tyson and was in awe of his muscles, I probably found out about him from Nintendo's Punch Out lol. He was probably the only muscled guy I had ever seen, so I concluded that becoming black would mean I could get big muscles. When my mom told me I could tan by the sun I figured it was the heat that made you tan lol.

Lol... that just cracked me up.

A friend died at an early age and we had to clean out his room.... He had a set of dumbbells and I began to do simple curls and pressing movements(had no idea what I was doing). After that I started buying a little more equipment and became a lot more interested(bought the movie pumping iron).

The main reason I started lifting was so I could put some muscle on my arms so when I fell skating I wouldn't break bones. I've broken probably 10+ bones from skating lol. In the past 2 years I've been skating less and less as I've moved away from the lifestyle and trying to put less stress on my body. At this point it's all about staying active and being as healthy as possible. It's a positive influence in my life that has gotten me away from the drugs. I can say that because of lifting and taking care of my body my mind has become clearer and my attitude towards life has improved greatly. I used to be a very lazy, negative individual and I have changed myself into a hard working positive individual in and out of the gym because of lifting.

The main reason I started lifting was so I could put some muscle on my arms so when I fell skating I wouldn't break bones. I've broken probably 10+ bones from skating lol. In the past 2 years I've been skating less and less as I've moved away from the lifestyle and trying to put less stress on my body. At this point it's all about staying active and being as healthy as possible. It's a positive influence in my life that has gotten me away from the drugs. I can say that because of lifting and taking care of my body my mind has become clearer and my attitude towards life has improved greatly. I used to be a very lazy, negative individual and I have changed myself into a hard working positive individual in and out of the gym because of lifting.

Bro, getting away from drugs in itself is reason enough imo. Congrats on the positive change. There's a reason bro. There's a reason.

I was a scrawny kid. At 16 I was 5'9 135(not unlike guys wanting advice on running tren for a first cycle here now). I remember a chick I liked walking up to me in 10th grade with her friend and reaching for my arm(it felt like slow motion. This was it, she wanted the D). She wrapped her fingers around my wrist and said "OMG his arms are so small", laughed and walked away. She's morbidly obese now BTW [emoji23]

Then a few months later I had started selling large amounts of marijuana for my age. One day I was selling a guy I sort of knew an ounce and he pulled a gun and asked if I wanted to die.

I got it in my head that these things were happening because I was small and weak. I started doing push-ups that night, bought dumbbells shortly after, then a gym membership, etc

I also grew up watching movies with Stallone, Schwarzenegger, etc. I knew I had to get big. Like the Tom Hanks movie but different

By my late 20s I was drinking way too much. I have a compulsive personality but I don't necessarily believe I'm an alcoholic, I know it's better that I don't drink so I don't. Shit was getting out of control. I was losing friends, even worse I was skinny. Lifting and this lifestyle was a great replacement.

Kinda went a little off topic, blame it on the tren

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bro, getting away from drugs in itself is reason enough imo. Congrats on the positive change. There's a reason bro. There's a reason.

Thanks bro. The only drugs I plan on using are the ones with an oil base lol. That's way down the line though. Plenty of natty gains to still be made here

Top Bottom