napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Deadlifts

Specimen

I personally couldn't get into deadlifting for the longest time. However, I would come back to it from time to time because of the raw activation of the posterior chain that no other movements can replicate, but it just never felt right. I convinced myself that my hams were weak so I started doing tons of RDLs until I felt I can maintain a strong contraction thru the hams/glutes. Once I started deadlifting again BAM 225 came flying off the ground for 10 easy touch and go reps (I never did touch and go ever and would always reset after each rep). I guess in my head I wanted to keep the deadlift as similar as I could to an RDL but with more leg drive. I also stuck with the overhand grip vs alternating and everything felt more natural. Before I used to alternate my hand grip because thats what everyone does and I feel like that contorted my back and didn't let me effectively engage my lats. I mix it up but Ive become a big fan of touch and go reps. I like how you have to maintain tightness for the duration of the entire set vs resetting every time. It is definitely cheating in a way but it's basically a different exercise.

Anyway, I'm looking to hear some thoughts on the deadlift and on technique. I've always done conventional btw

Incorporating deadlifts into my routine was a game changer in terms of my physique. I have tried both overhand and alternated grips as well as straps. I prefer the overhand, however am limited by grip strength as are most people. Alternating works, though there is always the risk of tearing a bicep. I tried the straps, but did not like the fact I was strapped to the bar on the negative portion of the lift. Something about it I just did not like at all.

I have tried both conventional and sumo and have found both target different areas. I have long arms and long femurs, so getting my hips down low and into position on conventional is difficult. Conventional targets more of my back where as sumo targets more of my glutes and hamstrings. I can also pull more with sumo.

As far as reps, I have always been an advocate of 4-8 reps MAX on DL's, 6 being ideal. However, I have tweaked my back several times now and have been forced to re-evaluate this thought process. What I have learned about my body is that I do not recover well or rapidly. I have tried doing Heavy squats, RDL's, BB Rows, and Deadlifts all in my 7 day workout routine block and found I accumulate lower back fatigue quickly..thus leading to tweaking my back. I would do DL's on back day, but due to poor recovery, my leg's would still be sore going into the lift leading to my back pulling most of the weight, which I feel contributed to the back issues. I have taken 3-4 months off from DL's and just added them back in last week. Think going forward I will just stick to 225 for reps as I would rather be doing some deadlifting rather than none at all.

To sum it up, IMO Deadlifts are worth their weight in GOLD as they provide an excellent ROI, however recovery and rest must be managed properly.

To sum it up, IMO Deadlifts are worth their weight in GOLD as they provide an excellent ROI, however recovery and rest must be managed properly.

Completely agree. When new to DLs, the amount of volume/intensity needs to be regulated, otherwise it can impact the rest of your lifts for the week, or even your sleep for a few days. It's very hard on CNS.

I personally don't do the touch and go, I like to take a deep breath, fill in gut and rebrace for each rep. I don't do a full reset. The touch and go can be okay, it just can lead you into dangerous territory where you begin lifting more than you should be doing and relying on the bounce to get you out of the hole. I like to vary my reps on DL more than anything else, I have days I do singles, doubles, triples and everything else, typically I'm 4-6. I generally like to stay lower rep on DLs, as form break down can occur when you're doing higher reps(8+).

I agree with RM on the risk associated with doing high rep DL's, especially for time as done in cross fit. DL's are not a lift that should be rushed.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel like the lower back takes longer to fully recover in general. I squat and deadlift in the same week so I tend to go by feel.

Definitely reset/rebrace each rep if you're going heavy. Touch and go is like a completely different exercise IMO. I personally like keeping it light and taking each set about 1-2 reps before grip strength failure (aim for 10-12 reps). Depends on the day and your goals really.. sometimes you just feel like a monster and want to pull heavy weight.

Dead lifts are a personal favorite of mine and by far my strongest lift. I use a mixes grip 100% of the time. I use straps when I go over 315 but under that I keep them off. As far as touch and goes it's around that same 315 area I tend to slow the pace down as well. Plus I've been yelled at a few times for touch and go with heavy weights lol. But I do think the heavy weight with a good form reset is a key in keeping things safe

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah I feel like the lower back takes longer to fully recover in general. I squat and deadlift in the same week so I tend to go by feel.

Definitely reset/rebrace each rep if you're going heavy. Touch and go is like a completely different exercise IMO. I personally like keeping it light and taking each set about 1-2 reps before grip strength failure (aim for 10-12 reps). Depends on the day and your goals really.. sometimes you just feel like a monster and want to pull heavy weight.

Perhaps my problem is that I was trying to go heavy every week and the fatigue accumulated. I know some people who only Deadlift every other week. Regardless, IMO deadlifts are a staple compound movement that should be included in all routines in some form/or fashion. I will give crossfit one thing and that's that it has moved people away from the machines/isolation stuff and got them using barbells/compound movements again. It's got people deadlifting who wouldn't be deadlifting otherwise.

Perhaps my problem is that I was trying to go heavy every week and the fatigue accumulated. I know some people who only Deadlift every other week. Regardless, IMO deadlifts are a staple compound movement that should be included in all routines in some form/or fashion. I will give crossfit one thing and that's that it has moved people away from the machines/isolation stuff and got them using barbells/compound movements again. It's got people deadlifting who wouldn't be deadlifting otherwise.

Agree and popularized bumper plates in the everyday gym thus making deadlifts less intimidating to the average person

Top Bottom