napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Trying to take a week off

Flanex

I try & take a full 7 days off from lifting every 3 months or so.That time frame is not written in stone,but that's usually around the time my body tells me "Hey take a break".I usually get weird aches & pains where I don't normally get them.This time it's my forearms.Pfft my forearms NEVER hurt.They hardly even ever get sore after I work them.Sometime it's my back(which is a given) or my neck,calves,glutes,etc..Also I'll be stumped with raising weight or reps.
I take 2-3 rest days per week so I'm not over training & I'm getting plenty recovery,but this always happens every 3 months or so.

I'm on day 4 with only 3 left to go.It's raining outside so no work for me today.So I'm sitting here wanting to hit the gym so bad,but I'm gonna stick it out.Maybe I'll jump on my elliptical for 45-60min.I really need to start doing more cardio anyway.As a matter of fact I'm going to be revamping my whole workout starting this Sunday.I'm only going to lift 3 days per week(1 on 1 off) & stick with SS cardio the other 3 days.I let my BF inch up there again & I'm not happy with it at all.I want to try & get it down before my next cycle this July.

Here's what I'm going to do:

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Legs/Core
Day 4: Cardio
Day 5: Shoulders/Arms
Day 6: Cardio
Day 7: Rest

My cardio at home or gym generally consists of stationary bike or elliptical.When I get a chance I like to go to the YMCA & do some laps for 25-45 min.I wish I could swim everyday cause it's my favorite cardio.

I'm not really asking any questions,just writing some thoughts.If anyone has anything to add,feel free to comment.

Hey bro, I do EXACTLY the same thing. Every 3-4 months it's a full 7 days off. It's even more important to us older guys than anybody. Our bodies don't hold up as well as they used to and can use the rest. Take the time off, do a little cardio and your body will thank you when you get back at it

Hey bro, I do EXACTLY the same thing. Every 3-4 months it's a full 7 days off. It's even more important to us older guys than anybody. Our bodies don't hold up as well as they used to and can use the rest. Take the time off, do a little cardio and your body will thank you when you get back at it

Hey thanks for commenting Rick.That's what I was thinking too.I just turned 48 this past April & this has been happening for the past 5 years or so.It's definitely an age thing cause I never had to do it before.

I'm 55 and I do a deload week every two months. But I don't actually take a full week off from training. I reserve the week off for the cold or flu I know I'll be catching at some point during the year. My deload week, which I happen to be half way through as well, simply consists the same exercises, but less weight (50-60%) fewer reps and fewer sets and I am usually in and out in 45 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the start of my lifting career I lifted heavy 7 days a week. If I had any aches or pains, I pushed through them. After 8 months on this pace, I partially tore my extensor carpi radialis brevis. This put me out of the gym for well over a month and made my workouts light and painful for months there after. Since my dumbass didn’t let it fully heal before hitting the gym again, I developed lateral epicondylitis. This of course has been a nagging injury since then and made me delete multiple exercises out my training routine.

I now lift 5 days, 1 day for cardio and 1 rest day. This has been my sweet spot at the ripe age of 36. I always tell myself every couple months that I'm going to take a full 7 days out of the gym, but it never happens. I think subconsciously I feel if I take a break I'm going to lose all my gains or become this lazy fat ass again. This of course is far from the truth, but it's hard to convince my brain that.

You're definitely doing the right thing. Hang in there!

At the start of my lifting career I lifted heavy 7 days a week. If I had any aches or pains, I pushed through them. After 8 months on this pace, I partially tore my extensor carpi radialis brevis. This put me out of the gym for well over a month and made my workouts light and painful for months there after. Since my dumbass didn’t let it fully heal before hitting the gym again, I developed lateral epicondylitis. This of course has been a nagging injury since then and made me delete multiple exercises out my training routine.

I now lift 5 days, 1 day for cardio and 1 rest day. This has been my sweet spot at the ripe age of 36. I always tell myself every couple months that I'm going to take a full 7 days out of the gym, but it never happens. I think subconsciously I feel if I take a break I'm going to lose all my gains or become this lazy fat ass again. This of course is far from the truth, but it's hard to convince my brain that.

that sounds ALL TOO FAMILIAR and basically the same exactly scenario i have been on man except i do cardio 5 days a week as well as lift 5 days a week but otherwise, we are quite similar in our past and current protocol... its all in your mind when you thin you have to work out everyday and we all suffer from it but you MUST force yourself to take time off... i have a few coming up here because i have several trips planned so it will be nice because i feel like, well I KNOW , that i never have any breaks so even getting 1 extra day during the week here will be nice...

I'm 55 and I do a deload week every two months. But I don't actually take a full week off from training. I reserve the week off for the cold or flu I know I'll be catching at some point during the year. My deload week, which I happen to be half way through as well, simply consists the same exercises, but less weight (50-60%) fewer reps and fewer sets and I am usually in and out in 45 mins.

I do the same (deload) when I'm feeling a little under the weather(head cold/allergies/etc).I figure any workout is better than no workout.I call it "lifting for maintenance".

7 days a week.LOL that sounds like my 20's.I'm surprised I didn't tear anything back then.

attachment.php

Funniest_Memes_rest-day-where-is-my-rest-muscle-and-how_15413.jpg

At certain times depending on how my body feels, I will do a deload myself....but a majority of the time my body just really appreciates the time off completely. I find that I respond very well to the training stimulus when I return and gains really take off

I do the same thing. Will hit it hard for about 8 weeks. 5-6 days a week of lifting. 4-5 days a week cardio. After the 8 weeks i take a full week off from the gym. Will still be active. Golfing, and softball. I feel like when i come back i am even stronger. So i know my body appreciates the break.

same here, i go on vacations and i feel this is just as important as everything else. Time off gets under rated quite often, for me the time has come again im outbound to las vegas middle of june

I do the same thing. Will hit it hard for about 8 weeks. 5-6 days a week of lifting. 4-5 days a week cardio. After the 8 weeks i take a full week off from the gym. Will still be active. Golfing, and softball. I feel like when i come back i am even stronger. So i know my body appreciates the break.
everyone comes back stronger and in a good mood after a few rounds of golf!

everyone comes back stronger and in a good mood after a few rounds of golf!

I've tried playing golf a few times & all it does is piss me the fuck off.I do love driving that ball as far as I can but the intricate stuff is frustrating as hell.Gimme me a heavy bag over a putter any day of the week & I'll be a happy camper.

I've tried playing golf a few times & all it does is piss me the fuck off.I do love driving that ball as far as I can but the intricate stuff is frustrating as hell.Gimme me a heavy bag over a putter any day of the week & I'll be a happy camper.
LOL golf is a game that requires HUGE amounts of patience, which most of us lack, LOL but it is still so refreshing to be out on the course, with a joint or a drink if you prefer and to just relax...

Top Bottom