napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Cycle Question/Issue

dragonzzz

Hi Dylan,

I have been an avid follower of your youtube channel and must say that I appreciate your no BS approach. Your insight has been invaluable to me. Keep up the good work!! The reason why I an writing you us b/c I am struggling a bit with my current cycle, hence my private PM to you. Below is my story and stats. I want to thank you in advance for any insight you can provide as it is much appreciated.

Current Stats:
Years of Training: on/off for 25+ years (mainly martial arts, cycling with some weight training, now exclusively weight training).
Bodyfat: aprox 13-16% (can't quite see abs yet)
Weight: 174 (Was 187 in Jul 2016 and got down to 165 just before I started TRT in Nov 2016. Once on TRT, I went from 165 to 176 in 2 months, which is were I was when started my current cycle)
Height: 5' 11"
BMR: 1539 (Dexascan calculated)
Daily Activity Level: Desk Job
Diet: Carb Cycling with average of 3000-3200 calories per day (3J is my coach, no drinking, no drugs, no cheat meals)
Mon: Carbs 300/ Protein 350+
Tues: Carbs 200/ Protein 275+
Wed: Carbs 100/ Protein 275+
Thurs: Carbs 300/ Protein 350+
Fri: Carbs 200/ Protein 275+
Sat: Carbs 100/ Protein 300+
Sun: Carbs 25/ Protein 300+
Training Regiment: Workouts are M-F with 4 sets per exercise @ 15, 4, 6,8 15-25 reps to failure. Aprox 5-6 exercises per workout. Cardio post-workout 20min @ 135bpm (only on workout days).
Sleep: 8-9 hours day

Current Cycle:
From 200mg EW (TRT dose), I titrated dosages to see how my body would respond. Cycle began on 02/20/2017:
Week 1: 400mg Test Cyp
Week 2: 400mg Test Cyp
Week 3: 400mg Test Cyp / 420mg EQ
Week 4: 400mg Test Cyp / 420mg EQ
Week 5: 400mg Test Cyp / 600mg EQ
Week 6: 500mg Test Cyp / 690mg EQ
Week 7 thru Week 18: 500mg Test Cyp / 720mg EQ
Note: This will result in 18 weeks on test and 16 on EQ
Source: Test is Dr. prescribed and EQ is from a source you are aware of. G2G.
AI: Arimidex @ 2mg per week splt into 3 doses. Since I am an over-responder, this formula came from my TRT dose (taking into account that EQ aromatizes @ 50% of test) and I increased it prorata.
Sides: None, just bacne. My HB was @ 16.1 last week and donated just to properly manage RBC levels. Plan on donating every 4-6 weeks on this cycle.
Ancillaries: Fish oil, Ubiqinol, Nattokinase, Hawthorn Berry, Policosanol, Taurine, NAC, magnesium, Zinc, Vit B, Vit D, Coline Inositol, Himalaya Livercare

Goals:
Weight: 185
BF: 10%
Note: My long term goal is to do a fitness/physique comp before I turn 50 and get to 6-8% BF and 190-195lbs.

Currently, I have not gotten any muscle gain or obtained any appreciable recomp in the slightest bit whatsoever. Not even any increase in strength but maybe a wee bit of endurance. My body is the king of homeostasis and is very adapt at getting there. I don't know what I am doing wrong. My thoughts are as follows. What do you think and what do I need to correct?

1. Too early in cycle, based on esters of the above, peak blood levels wont occur until 9-10 weeks in. I am beginning week 7 but shouldn't I have seen at least an increase in strength?
2. Not enough calories.
2. Myostatin Issue: Started TRT in Nov 2016 and went from 165 to 176 in 2 months, then started cycle. Perhaps body is not ready but this doesn't make sense on low TRT dose. Been using AI on TRT and even crashed my E2 at one point so I doubt that all of that gain was water.
3. Homeostasis: This has been a lifelong challenge for me and perhaps as I have NEVER EVER been able to get a six pack or put on big size. Even racing professionally on a cycling team but then again, I never incorporated strength training while racing.
4. Other?????

wait...you show a BMR was calculated from a Dexa scan...but you don't know your exact BF % ???
what was your BF according to the referenced Dexa scan?

re: AI dose...the ONLY way of dialing it in is by doing bloodwork..check your estradiol level and adjust dose up or down accordingly..then recheck

Last edited:
Sorry, left out that detail. I ran a dexascan back in July of 2016 and it was 20%, hence the BMR reading then. However, today, I am estimating it at 13-16%.

I can see that you are detail orientated and are trying to do things right..but brother..there are some big holes here

you go on TRT...and within 3 months you start a cycle???
that's really unwise...when starting TRT it takes time for your endrocine system to adjust and settle in...the conventional wisdom is to be monitored for 1 year before starting a cycle
ESPECIALLY as you are coming off a high BF and really haven't built a good foundation yet

also...it sounds like this is a first cycle for you....a first cycle should be testosterone only...but if you had already been on your trt you could safely add EQ or a small dose of Deca...but you didn't wait
so the bottom line is your current cycle is unwise..and makes it next to impossible to know why you are struggling(how it's working/not working for you)

as your are approaching 8 weeks..I advise you to get complete blood work..uncapped total testosterone, estradiol, SHBG, cortisol, DHT, lipids, CBC, Metobolic panel, liver panel

Last edited:
Thanks for the response and I understand your concern for running test only rather than test and EQ, which, BTW, is why I titrated my doses on both test and EQ. If recommended, I can easily drop the EQ and keep the test were it is. BTW, I did run most of the bloodwork you mentioned (test, E2, SHBG, CBC, Lipids, PSA, Metabolic and liver panel) on 02/10/2017. My bloodwork was all clear except slightly low HDL (which is due to anastrazole) and slightly high hemoglobin and hematocrit. I donated on 02/12/2017 and @ 6 weeks into cycle to keep RBC in check. My plan was to run a full check @ 9-10 weeks, which will be peak levels based on esters. Should I check earlier?

What about caloric intake? Its @ 3000 kcal/day. Could this be the issue?

I think you jumped on a cycle too early bud. You should have rode out TRT a bit longer. Caloric intake seems fine to me for your weight provided you are getting the right macros from that.

You gained quite a bit of weight in two months going on TRT. At that two month time frame your body will put on the brakes with myostatin....but you decided to go on cycle. Higher levels of androgens can break th myostatin barrier but only for a very short amount of time. That's why you haven't seen any gains. At this point you might as well come off and go back to TRT for 10-12 weeks in my opinion.

its hard to say without knowing your maintenance calories exactly how high to go... if you are going for more size and strength then you are going to need to be a minimum of 250 calories above maintenance but honestly, closer to 500... here is a link to a maintenance calorie calculator... http://www.calculator.net/calorie-c...80&ckg=60&cactivity=1.725&printit=0&x=73&y=14

i think by now from some of the responses you realize you jumped the gun here and so there are several underlying factors which makes it difficult to give a precise answer on certain aspects of your question.... your diet is the most important aspect of this first... that needs to be corrected and dialed in and then we move on to the next issue...

Top Bottom