napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Adding width to your quads

Apsmith4992

Look for some ideas on how to add some width to my quads. I started doing leg extensions with toes pointed in and out. Helps get some burn but I'm looking for more overall. My hamstrings have grown quite well and the thickness of my legs is there just don't have that super wide loom where the really pop out. Any suggestions welcome

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Look for some ideas on how to add some width to my quads. I started doing leg extensions with toes pointed in and out. Helps get some burn but I'm looking for more overall. My hamstrings have grown quite well and the thickness of my legs is there just don't have that super wide loom where the really pop out. Any suggestions welcome

Adding width to the quads, if I am understanding your question right, would be putting more emphasis on the vastus lateralis muscle and adductor muscles. For me the best way to put more emphasis on the vastus lateralis is with close stance hack squats and close foot position on the leg press. I caution you on turning your toes out or in on the leg extensions cause it's an open chain movement and could potentially hurt you knee. For adductor recruitment do wide stance stiff leg deadlifts as well as the obvious adduction machine. I would prioritize these exercise during your leg routine. Start with light weight to feel the new foot position for all the exercise and as with any other routine slowly increase or progressive overload.

I'd suggest close stance squats. I wouldn't do leg extensions full stop, it's an exercise that puts too much strain on the knees, and doesn't add mass imo.

Another thing to take into consideration is weight distribution across the sole of the feet. A lot of people believe that if the push through the ball or toes of the foot that they will activate their quads more but studies have proven that this is incorrect and only puts more strain on the knee. By pushing through the heels and center of your foot to activate more of your quads.
Here is an interesting study to check out. Although I love research and there findings I only use it as a guide for me to figure out how my body responds which is the most important aspect.
http://scholarworks.boisestate.edu/td/138/

Thanks for the tips. And my knees aren't an issue on the extensions it actually feels pretty comfortable.

Thanks for the tips. And my knees aren't an issue on the extensions it actually feels pretty comfortable.

Welcome!! Interested in seeing how it works for you! Again I prefer close stance on hack squat and leg press not barbell squats.

Will do man I wish we had a hack squat all I have is a leg press

Give it a go on the leg press. The only problem I experienced with doing it with free squats is that my forward tilt was more significant and it bothered my back more. My ankle mobility isn't the greatest so that could be why.

I agree with the others about bringing your stance in. The actuality too is just adding mass to your quads in general will widen them up a lot, so concentrate on growth and it will come

Platz squats all day! Heel elevated, narrow stance, toes slightly out. I got my outer sweep developed with 20 rep squats and 20 rep leg presses with heels together.
Build up to 3 sets of 405 for 20 reps and your quads will be massive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help guys gonna give some of these a shot on Thursday

Top Bottom