napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

AAS Induced Muscle Cramps / Pumps

So, Ive reviewed a number of old threads on muscle pumps and after trying a few things, Im still needing a little help. Here are the basics:

m:38
5'10"
200lbs
13% BF
no Rx meds. Just a multivitamin and fish oil for the past few years
150mg Test C per week, 100mg Deca per week, 50mg proviron per day.

Was on TRT 130mg Test Cyp per week for about 1.5yrs, ran a 12 week cycle at 350mg Test Cyp, dropped back to TRT levels (150mg this time just to keep numbers "even") for roughly a month, next i added in 100mg deca (with intention of bumping to 150mg at some point) along with 50mg proviron and this is currently what Im on.

Cramps/Pumps started at some point during the 350mg blast. It happened exclusively in my upper forearm right near the attachment near my elbow and it occurred after bicep workouts when I was showering (specifically the motion of shampooing set it off). The cramps pretty much subsided but then appeared about a month ago. I tried adjusting sodium intake and I tried adjusting potassium but to no avail. Next I tried supplementing with taurine. I thought this had worked since I went a few days without the cramps but then a few days ago, they started back up. Next I tried rolling out the muscles and myofascial release which also seemed to work a bit but now they are back and worse then ever. Today, I got crazy ab cramps after just 2 brief warm up sets of leg raises and I almost had to quit showering when the pumps in my arms got crazy painful. My water intake is good...........not to little and not so much as to flush out electrolytes and such. Not sure if it matters but testing showed that intracellular and extracellular water is balanced very well.

Any ideas??

I will tell you what has worked for me. I did a multi mineral and then a teaspoon of honey before bed. This helped a lot, but what really knocked them out was when I started drinking a gallon of water and took 2 Tums 3-4 times per day.

I will tell you what has worked for me. I did a multi mineral and then a teaspoon of honey before bed. This helped a lot, but what really knocked them out was when I started drinking a gallon of water and took 2 Tums 3-4 times per day.

I take a multi mineral and upping my water helps considerably too... but I haven't tried honey before bed.

What dose of Taurine are you using? Most people don't use enough to alleviate cramps. For me it takes a good 6-8g at least usually

(PM me for a price list for Biotech Labs and 10% discount)

Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking about it a bit Im wondering if there is a difference between pumps and cramps. When this happens to me its definitely cramp-like. I can see the muscles contract, feel pain, and then it subsides within a few seconds. Are "pumps" more like the pump you get from increased blood flow from lifting? I picture those as more of a steady pressure, no extreme contractions, like your muscles are ballooning to the point that they feel the might burst.

Im good on the water but Ill give the honey a shot. Some people swear by the benefits of eating local honey everyday and it makes a great sweetener so it seems like an easy choice to try. Also, the tums concept sounds pretty interesting. Im guessing it helps with calcium balance.

Ive been taking 2g 2Xday (4g total). Ill try upping the dosage. You are suggesting 6-8g per day (as opposed to per dose), correct?

I can tell you my pumps we almost like cramps, even after the gym driving back was painful in my back almost to the point of pulling over

Thanks for the feedback.

After thinking about it a bit Im wondering if there is a difference between pumps and cramps. When this happens to me its definitely cramp-like. I can see the muscles contract, feel pain, and then it subsides within a few seconds. Are "pumps" more like the pump you get from increased blood flow from lifting? I picture those as more of a steady pressure, no extreme contractions, like your muscles are ballooning to the point that they feel the might burst.

Im good on the water but Ill give the honey a shot. Some people swear by the benefits of eating local honey everyday and it makes a great sweetener so it seems like an easy choice to try. Also, the tums concept sounds pretty interesting. Im guessing it helps with calcium balance.

Ive been taking 2g 2Xday (4g total). Ill try upping the dosage. You are suggesting 6-8g per day (as opposed to per dose), correct?

Pumps and cramps are very similar. A cramp will stay so tight that it feels your muscle will pop and tear. They also last a little longer sometimes.Pumps do not hurt as bad as cramps, but the hurt just the same. My cramps come in my calf muscles,biceps and upper abs. One thing I have noticed is that say in my abs.My lower abs are not well defined and I never get cramps there. My upper abs are well defined and they cramp dam near every day.hmmm
I think the honey plus 2 500mg tums up to 4 times per day is what did it for me

Update:
I hit these cramps with everything............water still good plus taurine, honey, tums, myofacial release, plus I added in lifting straps to give my forearms a rest on heavy back exercises. The good news is that the cramps/pumps are pretty much gone. The bad news is that Im not sure what fixed it. Cant say that I really care though as long as they are gone though. I ended up dropping the tums after a bit so my body doesnt get too used to them (prior stomach/ulcer issues)

Up your taurine, increase water intake, see where your potassium levels are, and you can also try some apple cider vinegar. That stuff rocks.

Update:
I hit these cramps with everything............water still good plus taurine, honey, tums, myofacial release, plus I added in lifting straps to give my forearms a rest on heavy back exercises. The good news is that the cramps/pumps are pretty much gone. The bad news is that Im not sure what fixed it. Cant say that I really care though as long as they are gone though. I ended up dropping the tums after a bit so my body doesnt get too used to them (prior stomach/ulcer issues)

That's good to hear. I know for me personally when I've had them, it took a hefty dose of taurine to do it

What dose of Taurine are you using? Most people don't use enough to alleviate cramps. For me it takes a good 6-8g at least usually

I concur....2g taurine and 50mg potassium gluconate 3 times a day

Update:

If they come back after dropping the tums, then you know it is calcium. Then get a calcium supp that is NOT calcium carbonate like tums since you have belly issues. I also like calcium lactate and calcium gluconate

"back pumps" are cramp-like pain during training in the lower back muscle (erector spinae), which you can get from almost any PH or steroid, and which are a very typical side.

many, if not all, steroids increase erythrozyte count (red blood cells) drastically. this increases overall blood volume, blood pressure etc.

there are two main theories behind back pumps: one it is caused by increased blood flow to the area when exercising, which can lead to pain in the area, and 2nd that it is more likely to overwork the area and deprive it of certain important substances while on AAS.

for some, back pumps can get so severe as to prevent any back training, or even cardio like running etc.

high-dosed calcium, magnesium, and taurine (especially the taurine) serve to prevent and alleviate back pumps.

Top Bottom