napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

What is your current training split?

RickRock

Community Leader
VIP Moderator
I've gotten to a point where I'm going to make some changes to my training, to try and stimulate new growth and overcoming adaptation to my regiment, and was just wondering what some of your current training plans are. I'm trying to get some ideas to how I'm exactly going to change things up to start a new program and was just curious what everyone was doing. I'm currently lifting 5 days per week doing chest/tris, back/bis, Shoulders, legs, then repeat. I'm considering lowering my volume and increasing intensity and frequency. I've always done well in the past with high intensity, high frequency and low volume training in the past, so I think I may give it a go again with a little different strategy. I have done DC training for quite some time and had incredible success with that.

So, what are all you guys doing for training?!

Chest/Tri - Back/Bi - Shoulders/Abs - Legs, then start over 6-7 days a week depending on if i'm smart enough to take a rest day or not. I lift alone so weight is always manageable in the 8-12 rep range, I have been incorporating bands into my Chest training and like them so far.

Don't watch set count usually, just keep going until the muscle group feels baked, then I'll switch to the other muscle group and bake it while the 1st one recovers for the next round of sets.

Interested in seeing some of the answers here as my routine could use a swift kick in the ass.

BrentM said:
Chest/Tri - Back/Bi - Shoulders/Abs - Legs, then start over 6-7 days a week depending on if i'm smart enough to take a rest day or not. I lift alone so weight is always manageable in the 8-12 rep range, I have been incorporating bands into my Chest training and like them so far.

Don't watch set count usually, just keep going until the muscle group feels baked, then I'll switch to the other muscle group and bake it while the 1st one recovers for the next round of sets.

Interested in seeing some of the answers here as my routine could use a swift kick in the ass.

That is almost identical to mine, except I take every Saturday and Sunday off from lifting (cardio only). I forgot to mention that I do abs on shoulder day also. My set range has been 15-20 for larger muscle groups and 6-9 for smaller muscle groups. Recovery from workouts has been taking a toll on me a bit, which is why I'm thinking of changing to high intensity lower volume. Lower volume with things like rest pause sets, drop sets, time under tension, etc has always treated me very well for growth

Re: RE: What is your current training split?

RickRock said:
I've gotten to a point where I'm going to make some changes to my training, to try and stimulate new growth and overcoming adaptation to my regiment, and was just wondering what some of your current training plans are. I'm trying to get some ideas to how I'm exactly going to change things up to start a new program and was just curious what everyone was doing. I'm currently lifting 5 days per week doing chest/tris, back/bis, Shoulders, legs, then repeat. I'm considering lowering my volume and increasing intensity and frequency. I've always done well in the past with high intensity, high frequency and low volume training in the past, so I think I may give it a go again with a little different strategy. I have done DC training for quite some time and had incredible success with that.

I switch my workout up every 6 weeks or so. However, the muscle groups I work together always stay the same. I like to do what I call powerbuild. I design all my lifts around the core compound movements, squats, deads, ohp, and bench. I like to rotate between 5 sets of 5-6 reps and 7 sets of 3 reps for all 4 of those lifts. Then the rest of my workout has 3-5 various accessory lifts in which I like between 8-failure on the reps. Currently my split is like this:

Mon-deads and shoulders. This day is brutal because following deads I'm doing hang clean and presses. The rest of the workout is accessory things like db lateral raises, upright rows, rear delt work and isolation machine shoulder presses.

Tuesday-chest/tries/abs. This is a very light day. I just do about 5 sets of dips top failure, supersetting with some ab work. Then I'll do 4-5 sets of decline light hypertrophy reps. Then I'll finish with a bunch of tricep push downs, skull crushed, and calf raises.

Wednesday-back/biceps I do a lot of pull ups to start the workout and get warmed up. Then I hit 4-5 sets of heavy T bar rows 6-8 reps. Then I do heavy straight bar curls to failure followed by seated db hammer curls to failure. Next I hit some db shrugs and one arm barbell shrugs. I then finish up the workout with 2-3 back isolation movements, like cable pull downs etc.

Thursday-legs. I start with squats. 2 warm up sets followed by 5 sets of 5-8 reps pyramiding up in weight. Then I do 4 sets of hack squats 8-failure and 4 sets of leg press. I'm usually ready to pass out by this point, so that's it on legs.

Friday-heavy chest day with triceps. I do flat bench the same way I do my squats. After I do my 2 warm ups and 5 heavy sets I drop the weight down and finish with 3 sets to failure. Then the rest of the workout I do dumbbell incline, close grip flat bench, dips, pec deck, and isolation chest machine. I do all those other lifts to compete hypertrophy failure.

I also do 45-60 minutes of hiit cardio following each workout. I take Saturday and Sundays off. Every 6 weeks I'll rotate in different accessory lifts and rep ranges. I'll also vary it up from week to week depending on what I feel like doing and I'll sometimes superset some accessory lifts, do drop sets, do pause reps etc.

I know my work out routine is not of the norm...I train whatever I feel like that day..I get everything in over 5-6 days a week but I have no set routine..I started this about 6 months ago and love it.. We decide as we walk in the door what were doing that day..I also switch up machines/dumbbells/barbells all the time too. Nothing is set in stone for me..Some people wouldnt like it, some people need that strict routine, not me..It keeps it new and fun ever workout... When we switched to this my son seemed to explode..I think he was stuck in a rut just going thru the motions..This changed it all up and he started pushing hard again..

Re: RE: Re: RE: What is your current training split?

ibleedoranbla said:
RickRock said:

I switch my workout up every 6 weeks or so. However, the muscle groups I work together always stay the same. I like to do what I call powerbuild. I design all my lifts around the core compound movements, squats, deads, ohp, and bench. I like to rotate between 5 sets of 5-6 reps and 7 sets of 3 reps for all 4 of those lifts. Then the rest of my workout has 3-5 various accessory lifts in which I like between 8-failure on the reps. Currently my split is like this:

Mon-deads and shoulders. This day is brutal because following deads I'm doing hang clean and presses. The rest of the workout is accessory things like db lateral raises, upright rows, rear delt work and isolation machine shoulder presses.

Tuesday-chest/tries/abs. This is a very light day. I just do about 5 sets of dips top failure, supersetting with some ab work. Then I'll do 4-5 sets of decline light hypertrophy reps. Then I'll finish with a bunch of tricep push downs, skull crushed, and calf raises.

Wednesday-back/biceps I do a lot of pull ups to start the workout and get warmed up. Then I hit 4-5 sets of heavy T bar rows 6-8 reps. Then I do heavy straight bar curls to failure followed by seated db hammer curls to failure. Next I hit some db shrugs and one arm barbell shrugs. I then finish up the workout with 2-3 back isolation movements, like cable pull downs etc.

Thursday-legs. I start with squats. 2 warm up sets followed by 5 sets of 5-8 reps pyramiding up in weight. Then I do 4 sets of hack squats 8-failure and 4 sets of leg press. I'm usually ready to pass out by this point, so that's it on legs.

Friday-heavy chest day with triceps. I do flat bench the same way I do my squats. After I do my 2 warm ups and 5 heavy sets I drop the weight down and finish with 3 sets to failure. Then the rest of the workout I do dumbbell incline, close grip flat bench, dips, pec deck, and isolation chest machine. I do all those other lifts to compete hypertrophy failure.

I also do 45-60 minutes of hiit cardio following each workout. I take Saturday and Sundays off. Every 6 weeks I'll rotate in different accessory lifts and rep ranges. I'll also vary it up from week to week depending on what I feel like doing and I'll sometimes superset some accessory lifts, do drop sets, do pause reps etc.
Thanks for sharing brother! I like your setup, and I'm big on heavy compound movements myself. I do very little accessory isolation movements anymore. I think that strategy works incredibly well for continued progression in strength and mass

Re: RE: Re: What is your current training split?

PAYRION said:
I know my work out routine is not of the norm...I train whatever I feel like that day..I get everything in over 5-6 days a week but I have no set routine..I started this about 6 months ago and love it.. We decide as we walk in the door what were doing that day..I also switch up machines/dumbbells/barbells all the time too. Nothing is set in stone for me..Some people wouldnt like it, some people need that strict routine, not me..It keeps it new and fun ever workout... When we switched to this my son seemed to explode..I think he was stuck in a rut just going thru the motions..This changed it all up and he started pushing hard again..
I like this idea and have thought about doing it myself. Its very good to keep your body guessing by doing something different all the time. That way you overcome adaptation and have continued progress. Thanks for sharing man!

I do a reverse pyramid style regimen.

All sets are to failure, using a weight that will have me fail at the given rep range.

Warm-up set, 15reps
Overload set 4-5reps.
Working set (1) 6 reps.
Working set (2) 8 reps x burn out super set 20reps.

15, 4, 6, (8, 20) SS

All reps are done in a 1 second positive, 4 second negative manner.

Each exercise contains this set, set-up. Usually 4-5 exercises per muscle group per day.

5-day split is as follows - Chest, Back, Shoulders, Legs, Arms.

Sometimes I'll switch to a more strength oriented method, lower the rep ranges, combine days for a push pull type program, and only workout 3 times a week.

Hypnotix said:

All sets are to failure, using a weight that will have me fail at the given rep range.

Warm-up set, 15reps
Overload set 4-5reps.
Working set (1) 6 reps.

15, 4, 6, (8, 20) SS

Each exercise contains this set, set-up. Usually 4-5 exercises per muscle group per day.

Sometimes I'll switch to a more strength oriented method, lower the rep ranges, combine days for a push pull type program, and only workout 3 times a week.
Interesting, I may give this a try in the future.

Hypnotix said:

Warm-up set, 15reps
Overload set 4-5reps.
Working set (1) 6 reps.

15, 4, 6, (8, 20) SS

Very nice man. One thing I'm always big on no matter what training style I'm doing is explosive positives and slow negatives. I like how you are I playing different rep ranges through a given exercise, all to failure.

I change it up between 6-12 weeks.

Currently do a 5-day split where I hit legs twice a week. Legs I do without weights and work in sets of 20. The other days, I put in up to 30 sets 12-15 reps each set and cardio 5-6 days for 30 mins.

I've been known to and am unafraid to move into progressive or reverse pyramids, full body, circuit or super sets. I definitely keep it changing

Currently do a 5-day split where I hit legs twice a week. Legs I do without weights and work in sets of 20. The other days, I put in up to 30 sets 12-15 reps each set and cardio 5-6 days for 30 mins.

I've been known to and am unafraid to move into progressive or reverse pyramids, full body, circuit or super sets. I definitely keep it changing

TheSVPdeal said:

That's good to always keep things changing. What exactly does your leg work entail without weights?

Current split for me? As always, addicted and overtraining without rest days. Currently frustrated from having shitty workout day after day. I gotta get my damn self to take rest days I swear to god... Ugh! [PERSEVERING FACE]

In other words I've been doing random workouts. Hitting everything twice a week without any schedule. I need to probably take a week off and then start a good regimen soon. I have a sea world vacation soon so I'll likely change it up after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each of the two is different but today I'll do:

? Squats 5 x 20
? Deadlifts (light- 50lb Dumbbells) 5 x 12
? Reverse Lunges 3 x 20 each leg
? Glute Extensions (weighted of course) 3 x 12, 10, 8
? Calf Raises (any) 4 x 20

My legs are big and super ripped and veiny. I want to wear normal pants and struggle so no weights when possible.

TheSVPdeal said:

? Squats 5 x 20

My legs are big and super ripped and veiny. I want to wear normal pants and struggle so no weights when possible.

The struggle is real to find pants that fit. I have to buy my waist size like 3-4 times bigger so that I can pull them up over my legs, ass, and hips. Then I have to strangle myself with a belt.

Maybe I should give the no weight thing a try.

JackSteel said:
Current split for me? As always, addicted and overtraining without rest days. Currently frustrated from having shitty workout day after day. I gotta get my damn self to take rest days I swear to god... Ugh! [PERSEVERING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you on that. I've felt so e of that myself lately also, whch is why I want to drop the volume down. I don't seem to be recovering as well doing 15-20 sets per bodypart. I do take rest days every weekend (other than I still do cardio), but I am a fan of the low volume approach

I've shrunk them down a little bit. They look very muscular and when I do wear pants that are a little slim, they look great because they're athletic

TheSVPdeal said:

? Squats 5 x 20

I wish I had the problem you do. My calves are incredible and I have been genetically blessed with very good ones, but I have to really hit my quads hard and heavy to get them to grow it seems. They have always been my weakest area

My quads are legit and so are my hanmies. Calves too

I was a heavy kid and lost all the weight in high school doing crew. Between being heavy and FUCKING CREW, my legs would never be small

Top Bottom