napsgeareudomestic
bannednutritionRegenRx

Upper Quad Activation

Specimen

Anyone have any tips on feeling the upper outer portion of the quad (near the hip). My vastus medialis is dominant over my lateralis so I tend to feel most movements around the inside portion of my knee. Even while wearing shoes with a lifted heel, I mainly feel squats in my upper hams/glutes so Ive been saving squats for later in the workout. Ive been dropping weight and going for higher reps/supersets which is definitely giving me a better feel. Also finding that I really need to stabilize my hips thru the glutes/abs to allow for a better quad contraction.

So Im really just looking for techniques to focus tension on the lateralis. Any input appreciated

Yeah, shoulder width maybe slightly closer toes straight on leg press/hack squats feels best. Ive done knee extensions with toes pointed in but I feel like that torques the knee a bit so I keep that real light as a warm up or finisher. I guess its just something I need to focus on more and build up. My gym doesnt have one of those sissy squat machines.. always wanted to try that

Yeah, shoulder width maybe slightly closer toes straight on leg press/hack squats feels best. Ive done knee extensions with toes pointed in but I feel like that torques the knee a bit so I keep that real light as a warm up or finisher. I guess its just something I need to focus on more and build up. My gym doesnt have one of those sissy squat machines.. always wanted to try that

I know this ins't exactly quad related but hear me out. Have you tried some hip abduction activation just before doing the exercises you've mentioned (like your hack squats, leg press etc.)? That might help you with some mind muscle connection to the right area, as well as getting the blood where you want it to be beforehand. I struggle to connect to a few spots as well and will usually start with something near by before trying to activate it. Just a thought, might be useless.

Anyone have any tips on feeling the upper outer portion of the quad (near the hip). My vastus medialis is dominant over my lateralis so I tend to feel most movements around the inside portion of my knee. Even while wearing shoes with a lifted heel, I mainly feel squats in my upper hams/glutes so Ive been saving squats for later in the workout. Ive been dropping weight and going for higher reps/supersets which is definitely giving me a better feel. Also finding that I really need to stabilize my hips thru the glutes/abs to allow for a better quad contraction.

So Im really just looking for techniques to focus tension on the lateralis. Any input appreciated

Close stance hack squats worked best for me for outer quads. Toes slightly pointed out

I know this ins't exactly quad related but hear me out. Have you tried some hip abduction activation just before doing the exercises you've mentioned (like your hack squats, leg press etc.)? That might help you with some mind muscle connection to the right area, as well as getting the blood where you want it to be beforehand. I struggle to connect to a few spots as well and will usually start with something near by before trying to activate it. Just a thought, might be useless.

I like the idea. Weak abductors are probably a contributing factor for me. Always been hesitant to get on the "bad girl" machine but Ill give it a shot

I like the idea. Weak abductors are probably a contributing factor for me. Always been hesitant to get on the "bad girl" machine but Ill give it a shot

I hear you, I stayed away from it for a while too. I can't squat very often so I had to find other ways to get solid leg workouts in and hit all the areas. I make sure to not rest my back against the machine and lean forward a bit, resting my hands on my quads so all I have for stability is core and abductors. Let me know how it goes if you do give it a shot

Top Bottom